Register

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick

Re:

12 Mar 2019 13:31

vladimir wrote:Great: 10 guys in Paris-Nice and this is how the day ended:
Barguil- DNF crashed out
Cavendish - DNF
Meintjes - DNF
Aru - 147
Bakelands - 140
McLay - 132
Chaves - 95
Haller 60
Kittel 59
and only one performing: Trentin 4th.
I actually beleived I could do well in Paris-Nice this year... :mad:

Your pain is felt. It seems clear that Bakelants was a wasted pick, same with Cav. I'm still hoping Louis and Fabio are just pacing themselves for the grand tours, but i'm not hopeful. Like you, I'll just watch Trentin get me all my points and hope Bernal can take out that really tough Tour D'Italia field. That should be a fun watch.
Bob
Omaha, NE
User avatar bminchow

Re: Re:

12 Mar 2019 14:20

fauniera wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
It's been a chaotic start to the race for sure.

And of all riders Zakarin is still there.

Has not been a descent yet...
Salvarani

Re: The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

12 Mar 2019 17:56

Update #9: All Eyeballs on one team this week

With this week being a bit of a lull (relatively speaking; of course we got Strade Bianche, Le Samyn, a couple of smaller one-days and the start of Paris-Nice, so we're doing fine), we didn't see any stratospheric scores, as less than half the field (43 teams) topped 100 points. But there were a few notable scores stringing together some less popular picks.

This Week's High Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Eyeballs Out 351
2 armchairclimber 273
3 greenedge 268
4 ThePirate81 256
5 AlyKaptan 255

This week sees it all come together for Eyeballs Out, scoring a fantastic 351 points. This is largely due to a long-overdue pro win for the talented Florian Senechal (80 points, 7 teams), and a big win confirming last year wasn't a fluke for Max Schachmann (145 points, 6 teams). Add 36 each for Montaguti and Boom and some dribs and drabs elsewhere, and it's a runaway win. armchairclimber likely won't be disappointed with second given that their team won a couple of weeks ago, and this is another fine performance, Schachmann and Van Aert being the main drivers there. greenedge finishes just behind in third, rounding out the podium.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 Eyeballs Out (+40)
2 greenedge (+31)
3 armchairclimber (+22)
4 Yellow Knight (+21)
5 Sestriere (+20)

We are still at the point in the season where a 350 point week can jump you up over a third of the table, and Eyeballs Out takes full advantage to do the double this week, jumping 40 places. 2nd and 3rd are switched on this ranking from the last, but both greenedge and armchairclimber have some good jumps to go with their good scores.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 just_some_guy 95
1 MADRAZO 95
3 armchairclimber 80
4 Popchu 73
4 Googolplex 73
4 Nicosix 73

armchairclimber parlays this strong week on top of the 45 points for winning a couple of weeks ago into a spot on the overall podium of this competition. The other spots in the top 5 remain tied.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) Blues in the bottle 1934
2 (+1) MADRAZO 1915
3 (-1) Salvarani 1905
4 (+1) just_some_guy 1894
5 (-1) Amis_Velo 1871
6 (-) Nicosix 1701
7 (+3) shalgo 1697
8 (+3) TheArt 1689
9 (-) Squire 1685
10 (-2) yoyokt 1682

This week wasn't enough to flip the overall standings, as Blues in the bottle holds onto a slim lead after ascending last week. MADRAZO moves back closer to #1, but it's quite close in the top 5. Lower down, TheArt returns to the top 10, while Londonpat drops out. This week, of course, we have the two big opening-season overlapping WT stage races. With a ton of riders in this game in each of those, there should be some significant scoring going on.

spreadsheet at dropbox
skidmark

12 Mar 2019 19:17

Nice to see I had a pretty successful week thanks to Cattaneo. Up 12 places to 41st and 13th on the weekly ranking. Thanks for the update!

My riders for Tirreno:
Clement Venturini
Vincenzo Nibali
Nacer Bouhanni
Alberto Bettiol
Stefan Küng
Nicola Conci
Fabio Felline
Fernando Gaviria

Have to hope for stage points as it looks I won't get many from GC.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

12 Mar 2019 19:21

Thanks skidmark.

My team is an abject disaster.
User avatar Koronin

12 Mar 2019 19:59

I'm surprised I went up a place (15 to 14). I didn't think it was a particularly good week. Another second place for Ewan today was alright, but Trentin didn't place which was annoying. Neither did Kittel but that has lesser impact in this game due to his popularity.

For Tirreno, I have Bauhaus, Bettiol, Küng, Søren Kragh and Felline.

Not too good. I don't expect Kragh to make Algarve-like miracles, although that could be nice. Hopefully, Bauhaus will get his season started at last, and Küng could maybe win the TT. I am intrigued to see Bettiol who should have a free role.

Edit: I also have Nibali. Why do I always forget that I have him?
Last edited by tobydawq on 12 Mar 2019 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar tobydawq

12 Mar 2019 20:04

Thanks for the update. I am pleasantly surprised that my team moved up, but I guess there just weren't that many points claimed by picked riders this week. It is certainly nice to see my two most expensive (and relatively unpopular) riders, Bernal and Ewan, riding well in Paris-Nice. I'll see next week if this translates into GC points for Bernal.
shalgo

12 Mar 2019 20:13

McLay suprises foe me, but I am hoping for Nairo, Egan and Zaka to be in top 5 on GC amonst the PN carnage, with Aru, Meintjes and Cav already spat out and Kittel, Valls and Chaves not doing much, Rowe looking good for the classics though,
del1962
Veteran

Re: The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

12 Mar 2019 20:28

Thanks SkidMark

A slow and steady drop for me. We need to stop this trend. But how do you recover from picking Porte?
For Tirreno:
BAUHAUS Phil
BETTIOL Alberto
DE PLUS Laurens
FELLINE Fabio
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
NIBALI Vincenzo

Nor great. Maybe a sprint win (or two if I'm really lucky). I've learned not to count on any Grand Tour riders I pick, outside of a grand tour. But give them hell Nibali. Maybe Bettiol does something in GC? And DePlus in a supporting role. Am I fooling myself? Yes. So I guess I'm relying on Bernal to beat Kwiat in Nice.
Bob
Omaha, NE
User avatar bminchow

12 Mar 2019 20:48

Thanks Skidmark for the update. I'm a little surprised to have done so well ... though I won't get too giddy as this week looks like it will be very disappointing. So far I have benefited from picking a fair few unpopular riders ... it'll be interesting to see how they hold up once we really get into the meat of the season.
User avatar armchairclimber

12 Mar 2019 20:57

Is a week in this game Monday-Sunday or Tuesday-Monday?
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

12 Mar 2019 21:17

tobydawq wrote:Is a week in this game Monday-Sunday or Tuesday-Monday?

Each weekly update on CQranking.com runs from Monday to Sunday but usually comes out on the next Monday or Tuesday.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

12 Mar 2019 22:16

Koronin wrote:Thanks skidmark.

It's early in the game my friend :) . There's a lot more cycling left to be raced.

As for me-self, I had two rough weeks, went down to 111th or something like that, and here I am 76th three weeks later, so things can change quickly. Happy that Remy Mertz cannibaled a top-10 at the Samyn race. This week with Montaguti 8th in Italy, Caleb being OK, I hope to maintain. Hopefully a few more good showings from my lower-profile riders will bring some dough, but I will live or die by what The People's Champion does at Tirreno.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

12 Mar 2019 23:43

Tonton wrote:

It's early in the game my friend :) . There's a lot more cycling left to be raced.

As for me-self, I had two rough weeks, went down to 111th or something like that, and here I am 76th three weeks later, so things can change quickly. Happy that Remy Mertz cannibaled a top-10 at the Samyn race. This week with Montaguti 8th in Italy, Caleb being OK, I hope to maintain. Hopefully a few more good showings from my lower-profile riders will bring some dough, but I will live or die by what The People's Champion does at Tirreno.

It's still a disaster. I have 4 total riders who are doing anything worthwhile at the moment (not including Remco). Two of those barely needed any points to match their points total from last year. My rare pick of Petilli is currently by far my best pick. I'm cheering for your boy at Tirreno. May as well I have literally no hope for any decent points this week at all.
User avatar Koronin

13 Mar 2019 00:39

Tonton wrote:

I just noticed that you have only 25 riders on your team.

Obviously, you are eight cheap/free picks short ... perhaps if there was "average points per rider" category, you may do well but with such a disadvantage, it will be HC uphill battle.
User avatar Jancouver

13 Mar 2019 16:00

Bakelants just went from getting home alone as the absolute last rider on the first stage to getting home in the select 30 rider favourites group today. There may be hope for him after all.
User avatar tobydawq

13 Mar 2019 20:37

A win for MCN, neat. Was clearly the strongest for that finished but decided to win it before it came to a sprint. From the front, impressive
Nathanptz

14 Mar 2019 16:40

Bettiol is alive. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows himself to be a must-have.

Søren Kragh has thankfully put his disease behind him and I am hoping he can do a good GC here and be released in the classics (with Matthews' injury, this seems even more likely now).

Chaves also shows all signs of life in Paris-Nice (not the points giving ones just yet, though).

Aru, Spilak and Nibali don't.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

14 Mar 2019 17:02

tobydawq wrote:Bettiol is alive. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows himself to be a must-have.

Søren Kragh has thankfully put his disease behind him and I am hoping he can do a good GC here and be released in the classics (with Matthews' injury, this seems even more likely now).

Chaves also shows all signs of life in Paris-Nice (not the points giving ones just yet, though).

I wouldn't worry much about Nibali, he's where he's been in the past few years at this point of the season. GTs and fall classics are where you should expect points from him.

Aru and Spilak on the other hand...
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

14 Mar 2019 17:13

SafeBet wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Bettiol is alive. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows himself to be a must-have.

I wouldn't worry much about Nibali, he's where he's been in the past few years at this point of the season. GTs and fall classics are where you should expect points from him.

Aru and Spilak on the other hand...

Yeah, that's true. But if he gets 280 points again next weekend I won't complain about him again ;)

I just think it was a bit weak to not be able to at least follow the 32 rider peloton. He wasn't too far away though and he did better than Geraint Thomas.
User avatar tobydawq

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling