Register

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick

Re: The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

09 Apr 2019 00:23

Update #13: Bettiol and van der Poel a Safe Bet for Points

We're in the midst of the cobbled season, and with a win in DDV and 4th in the Ronde, road newbie Mathieu van der Poel made his 20 game owners very happy this week. As well, extremely popular and extremely cheap pick Alberto Bettiol came away with a wholly stunning win in Flanders. 92 teams had him, and 95 teams got more than his 285 points on the week, so he was essentially a must have. Of course, some teams had both these guys and more, and that's what we'll see in the rankings.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 SafeBet 886
2 Kryvo 872
3 Nyssinator 869
4 Tigerion 833
5 Sestriere 810

SafeBet wins the week at almost 900 points, a hefty haul for any week, let alone one without a WT stage race. Of course, the combined 590 points of vdP and Bettiol (305 and 285 respectively) go a long way to that, but SafeBet squeezed almost 300 more points by having another rider with his first pro win in Brandon McNulty (139 points, 7 teams), and a few other riders picking up a few dozen here and there (including 38 points from the other cyclocross phenom, Wout Van Aert). Kryvo almost wins the week with the same big 2, and is one of the few (5 teams) that got to reap the unexpected 175 point haul from Kasper Asgreen. Nyssinator rounds out a tight top 3, just behind at 869 points from the same 3 as Kryvo, but not quite as much juice from the supporting cast.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 SafeBet (+41)
2 Nyssinator (+35)
3 will10 (+25)
4 Kryvo (+24)
5 Eyeballs Out (+23)
5 postmanhat (+23)

It is still early enough in the game that there's a lot of movement - as we will see (spoiler alert!) in the top 10 overall. Most of the top scorers had room to move up the overall charts, so the list looks very similar with will10 making the podium on the strength of the week's Big Two riders and a smattering of small points.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Googolplex 144
2 Popchu 118
3 TheArt 104
4 Nicosix 103
5 MADRAZO 95
5 just_some_guy 95

Recent week's have seen a few repeat winners share the wealth and consolidate their leads, making this ranking mirror the overall. This week went to more of the 'have nots' from the overall rankings, and so there's no change in the top 5 overall in this ranking. Lortnoc is the highest ranking team in this competition to score points this week, and their team moved into 10th place.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+1) Googolplex 3918
2 (+3) Object 3903
3 (-2) Popchu 3897
4 (-) TheArt 3853
5 (+13) Lortnoc 3802
6 (+11) Joelsim 3796
7 (+20) Tigerion 3764
8 (+24) Kryvo 3760
9 (+12) fauniera 3727
10 (-2) ruvu75 3724

Things are tight at the top, with the top 10 separated by less than 200 points, and the top 3 separated by a mere 21 points (which is fewer points than Fabio Aru has this year, for a point of reference). Googolplex leaps back up into pole position, almost at 400 points overall. However, Object is right behind after gaining more than 200 points on Googolplex this week. Last week's leader Popchu just barely drops to 3rd. Further down, a whole 5 of the top 10 switch out, with Lortnoc, Joelsim, Tigerion, Kryvo and fauniera jumping in and MADRAZO, shalgo, Salvarani, Nicosix and bminchow falling out. Phew!

This is one of the most fun weeks in the cycling calendar, with a Ronde-Itzulia-Roubaix sandwich. As well, Scheldeprijs and Sarthe occur while Langkawi continues.

Spreadsheet at dropbox
skidmark

09 Apr 2019 02:20

Thanks for the update!

Oh well, I am out of the top ten. My team didn't even have that bad of a week--472 points, tied for 46th overall. But it was hard to keep pace with all of the ascending MVDP teams.
shalgo

09 Apr 2019 02:27

Tigerion wrote:FUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Just caught up on Dwars and thought I had a great result only to realise that Turgis was on my original submitted team that was overbudget due to spreadsheet error so had to make a last minute switch and took him out.
So close to a 1 and 2 finish

Well I'm sure that 108 points missed wouldn't have had much of an impact
skidmark wrote:Update #13: Bettiol and van der Poel a Safe Bet for Points

This Week's Top Scorers

1 SafeBet 886
2 Kryvo 872
3 Nyssinator 869
4 Tigerion 833
5 Sestriere 810

Well done past me you numbknuckle
User avatar Tigerion

09 Apr 2019 02:28

Thanks for the update.

Somehow my team moved up slightly.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

09 Apr 2019 06:52

Wow, I didn't expect to be the top scorer! First time for me!
Hopefully WvA can score big in Roubaix so my streak of positive weeks continues. I was 110th or something at the end of February, now 22nd :D

tobydawq wrote:Padun started his season today. But he was 6 minutes behind and more than 2 minutes behind the second worst rider today in the TT. I guess he can only improve.... But a very worrying ride.

Yep, that's concerning. I don't know what's going on with this kid but it's not looking good. Wouldn't surprise me if he abandons today.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

09 Apr 2019 08:56

Nice news. Up 16 places and the top is more close than it has ever been. Maybe MvdP will keep me going in what otherwise is looking like a tough week for me.
User avatar tobydawq

09 Apr 2019 11:55

Nice to move up one place to 25th even though my week wasn't too great. Because my only major scorer was Bettiol who is so popular I was a little worried, but the lesser scores added up to an ok total.

This week:

Itzulia
Lucas Hamilton
David Gaudu
Fabio Felline
Nicola Conci

An underwhelming lineup, I have to hope Hamilton and Gaudu can get a good GC placing. Hamilton started off alright in the TT, Gaudu was pretty terrible. Felline would normally have a shot at some stage points but is obviously still not in good shape. I have no expectations for Conci, the field is way too stacked to get anything from this race. Mark Padun started his season in the time trial yesterday but finished dead last, I hoped he'd lost time on purpose to get into the breakaway but today he is a DNS due to knee tendinitis, definitely not a good sign.

Circuit Cycliste Sarthe
Clement Venturini
Rudy Barbier
Nacer Bouhanni

3 sprinters, hopefully I can get some stage points. If anyone scores GC points, even better, but I don't expect it.

Scheldeprijs
Kristoffer Halvorsen
Luke Rowe
Max Walscheid
Matteo Moschetti
Edward Theuns
Marcel Kittel
Harry Tanfield

This is where I should score this week, with Kittel, Halvorsen, Walscheid, Moschetti and Theuns I have 5 sprinters that could score here, but with Theuns and Moschetti on the same team, realistically I only have 4 cards. This is the moment for Walscheid, he was 6th last year and if he does worse, it will be hard to see him become a decent pick.
I would have liked to see Bouhanni here, but who knows, maybe he does a clean sweep in Sarthe :p

Paris-Roubaix
Fernando Gaviria
Loïc Vliegen
Ivan Garcia Cortina
Edoardo Affini
Robert Stannard
Luke Rowe
Max Walscheid
Edward Theuns

What, no Küng?! I sure hope that's a mistake, otherwise I'll be really disappointed. :( This is the one race among the spring classics that should really suit his huge power and big weight, and he was Groupama's best finisher in most of the Belgian races + Strade Bianche. At least Cortina is on the startlist, as I feel the same is true for him (struggles on the climbs due to his weight) and I'm anxious to see him race here.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

09 Apr 2019 17:54

It's been a good run the last three weeks, moving up from 104th to 29th currently after 3 weeks in the top 10 scorers. Let's see if the team can keep it going!

Itzulia

Petr Vakoc
Bjorg Lambrecht
Fabio Felline
Darwin Atapuma

I didn't have many expectations coming in, although I hoped Lambrecht would show something as he's been worryingly invisible. After a bad TT performance, today he did indeed show something with that impressive uphill sprint. I have to remind myself that after Itzulia last year he only had 48 points, which he now equals after stage 2 this year. And that punch bodes well for upcoming races like Brabantse Pijl and Fleche Wallone.

Sarthe

Benoit Cosnefroy
Rudy Barbier
Mathieu van der Poel
Bryan Coquard
Nacer Bouhanni
Ramunas Navardauskas

There's no reason MvdP shouldn't win this, and he won the 80-rider sprint today so that's a good start. Cosnefroy is a wild card - this is exactly the kind of race I want him for, but he DNFd two pretty easy races last week and has been nowhere on the results sheet thus far. At least he finished in the field today; on his day I'd expect him to be a real contender for the overall. Barbier/Coquard/Bouhanni should feature tomorrow (and Coquard did today), and Navardauskas... well, he's won this race twice, but finished 50 seconds down on an easy stage. I thought he might refind some results on a French team now that his health issues are in the rearview, but oh well.

Scheldeprijs

Dan McLay
Kristoffer Halvorsen
Marcel Kittel
Edward Theuns
Lennard Kamna
Tom Van Asbroeck
Baptiste Planckaert

Kamna aside, that's a pretty good lineup. Kittel has been mixed this year but he's won this race like five times. For the other fast guys, Theuns and Planckaert may not be their team's first options with Moschetti and Dehaes, but they also could be, and the other three should have a chance for top 5-10 points.

Paris-Roubaix

Fernando Gaviria
Lars Boom
Phil Bauhaus(?? why?)
Lennard Kamna
Edward Theuns

umm... well, I am genuinely curious to see how Gaviria does, I do think he has the power to hang in there, but am not confident enough in his bike handling to avoid crashes/mechanicals. For Boom, this is make or break really - by far his best chance for big points this year. The other guys, well, I'll very likely have more points from all the other races this week.
skidmark

10 Apr 2019 16:01

Lol, now my wildest long shot (Carlos Julián Quintero) is making top 10s in Itzulia.

He hasn't gotten more than 5 measly points in the last three and a half years.

He was 9th so just outside the points but he'll surely get some points for this performance and may be good in the many Spanish stage races in the next couple of months.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

10 Apr 2019 16:59

LaFlorecita wrote:Scheldeprijs
Kristoffer Halvorsen
Luke Rowe
Max Walscheid
Matteo Moschetti
Edward Theuns
Marcel Kittel
Harry Tanfield

This is where I should score this week, with Kittel, Halvorsen, Walscheid, Moschetti and Theuns I have 5 sprinters that could score here, but with Theuns and Moschetti on the same team, realistically I only have 4 cards. This is the moment for Walscheid, he was 6th last year and if he does worse, it will be hard to see him become a decent pick.
I would have liked to see Bouhanni here, but who knows, maybe he does a clean sweep in Sarthe :p

Well, looks like my motivational speech for Walscheid worked :p nice 2nd place today, and with some points for Moschetti in 10th as well, I can't be unhappy.

However, my team in Itzulia is a disaster, my two cards for the GC, Hamilton and Gaudu, are already quite far back. Hamilton did a good TT but dropped out of contention yesterday after trying to help Yates chase back to the peloton, and Gaudu did a poor TT, finished alright yesterday but was caught up in the crash today. He didn't lose too much time ("only" 25 seconds), but together with the TT losses, it looks like an uphill battle to score some decent points.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

12 Apr 2019 11:23

Is Tour of Turkey really classified as a 2.UWT race?

Some points up for grab in this race if that is the case, lol.

Kina happy I have these four riders in the race now:
Ewan
Gibbons
Munoz
Riabushenko

Ewan and Gibbons should be able to grab points in the sprints and Munoz could be a darkhorse for GC. He is a climber, but young. Could suit him though with a weak field.
Salvarani

13 Apr 2019 15:03

I'm kicking myself every day for not picking Pogi. What a disastrous decision.

Meanwhile Bouhanni seems like a terrible pick. Absolutely no motivation at Circuit de la Sarthe, yet again. I thought the little diva might get his act together in a contract year, but boy was i wrong.
User avatar fauniera

14 Apr 2019 07:46

Ben O'Connor is also racing Tour of Turkey. He has had difficult start to the season, but with the field in this race he should be able to do something really good if he shows up in decent form.
Salvarani

14 Apr 2019 15:15

Well, I am almost relieved Politt didn't win today as this is the first time I haven't picked him for my team. I was rooting for him though. Great ride.
User avatar armchairclimber

15 Apr 2019 07:52

Well it seems my quick visit to the top 10 is over, this was not a good week
User avatar Tigerion

15 Apr 2019 16:51

I think I got 10 points out of Paris-Roubaix.... ouch
HelgeBlendet

16 Apr 2019 14:20

Yah, Cosnefroy is alive and has won Paris-Camembert!
User avatar tobydawq

16 Apr 2019 15:27

Update #14: Object Takes the Lead by the Slimmest of Margins

I think many cycling fans would join me in saying that the week of the Ronde-Itzulia-Roubaix sandwich is arguably the most enjoyable of the year. In this game, however, it was not quite as lucrative for many teams as other weeks we have had. There is certainly some shakeup, however, and the top of the standings is about as close as I can ever remember it being at any significant point into the season.

This Week's Top Scorers

1 Jon_Ezeitza 535
2 armchairclimber 480
3 Sestriere 434
4 Rakim 416
5 Eyeballs Out 406

Jon Ezeitza takes the week, being the only team over 500 points. This is largely thanks to a pair of riders that cost 777 points - Max Schachmann (6 teams, 197 points this week) and Fabio Jakobsen (3 teams, 140 points). Some nice contributions from the likes of Lawless, Lambrecht and Philipsen round it out. This was a good week to have the right combo of rare riders. armchairclimber posts a very respectable second, with Schachmann and Pogacar (7 teams, 136 points) and a few others. Sestriere rounds it out again with Schachmann, and one of the happy few (4 teams) with Nils Pollitt (170 this week).

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 armchairclimber (+33)
2 merengues (+21)
3 Sestriere (+20)
4 Eyeballs Out (+18)
5 vladimir (+15)

The runner-up in the other rankings, armchairclimber goes one better here, and as importantly, moves up 33 spots in the overall! Sestriere repeats third place, while merengues gets a podium spot here thanks to the ever-present Schachmann once again.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Googolplex 144
2 Popchu 118
3 armchairclimber 115
4 Nicosix 105
5 TheArt 104

Googolplex maintains a healthy lead here; armchairclimber leaps into the top 5 on the strength of a weekly win and two second places so far, making it a feast-or-famine year so far for their team. Nicosix picks up a mere 2 points for 15th place this week, but it's enough to leapfrog TheArt in these standings.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+1) Object 4207
2 (-1) Googolplex 4205
3 (+1) TheArt 3986
4 (-1) Popchu 3971
5 (+1) Joelsim 3953
6 (+3) fauniera 3936
7 (-) Tigerion 3930
8 (+11) Carlo_Algatrensig 3923
9 (-1) Kryvo 3907
10 (+5) tobydawq 3898
10 (+7) Nicosix 3898

This is damn close. Object, last week's second place, outscores Googolplex by 17 points on the week to move into a slim 2-point lead. Lower down, TheArt moves back into 3rd, but below the top two it's bunched together very tightly indeed. Aside from the 11 teams here (with a tie for tenth place), the 12th and 13th teams are only 1 and 3 points back respectively, meaning teams 3-13 are separated by 91 points. There's still alot of the season to go, of course, but in the week-to-week, a podium spot seems attainable for anyone in the top 13. Carlo Algatrensig, tobydawq and Nicosix move into the top 10/11, while ruvu75 and Lortnoc fall just out.

Spreadsheet at dropbox
skidmark

16 Apr 2019 16:37

Thanks for the update.

Somehow my team managed to move up 4 sports. Two more of my boys are in positive territory (Sergio Samitier and Jake Stewart) and just need Victor de la Parte to finish a race that gives points all the way back to get him into positive territory.

Now I just need a podium or preferrably a win from Coquard at Brabantse Pijl. That would be a huge help.
User avatar Koronin

16 Apr 2019 17:18

Wauw... I have participated from year one in this awesome game, and this is the first time i am rank 1. I am primarily a lurker in this forum, but I am really enjoying all the activity in here. Thank you all for being active when I am not. And especialy thank you to skidmark and all of you that helps out during the year.

Now I will cheer even more for my team and hopefully stay in the top, for now atleast...
Object

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling