Register

Mathieu Van der Poel

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

16 Mar 2019 19:28

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:Just came across this topic (i only check every so many months in the Clinic).

I don't believe Mathieu is doping. I don't believe Wout is doping (or has been using a motor as someone said). Mathieu has been dominant since he was a kid. Van Aert, at that time, wasn't even a contender, he was physically way behind in his growth, and Mathieu's main rivals were Sweeck and Vantourenhout, if i remember correctly. Since Van Aert caught up with his peers in physicallity and even surpassed them, he has become the only rider to rival van der Poel. At least up until two seasons ago at least. Since the winter of 2017-2018, Van Aert has been working towards his road carreer, and this has been very apparent. He has been reported to weigh 82 kg last week and has worked more on endurance and less on burst efforts.

When you look at 3, 4 and 5 seasons ago, ever since they joined the elite CX peloton, Wout has been Mathieu's contender, unlike Tobydawg claims. The dominance of Mathieu, has resurfaced due to Van Aert's shift in focus, and again, there is noone left to challenge him.

To put things into perspective, i have been watching CX for well over 25 years, and i watch most of the televised races. Going back to van der Poel senior vs Pontoni vs Hereygers vs Groenendael... well before there was ever talks of Nys, Boom, Stybar... and i'm rather convinced that both Mathieu and Wout, eclipse all these riders. The advantage Mathieu has over Van Aert, is that he simply is two (three, four) levels better technically and he has total control of his bike in all situations. Van der Poel wins 5 seconds each lap (easily) due to his bike handling skills. Other riders either have to match that (and in the current CX peloton, there is only one who can, but he can't match the power) on bike handling, or they have to make up for it in effort/power. Van Aert was the only rider who could do that, untill he couldn't anymore.

None of these achievements come out of the blue. Mathieu has been on everyone's radar since he hit puberty. His father was a pro, his grandfather (mother's side) was Raymond Poulidor. Add the fact that he is technically one of the most gifted CX riders, and this is what you get, when the only rider that could match the power output takes a different approach.

He excells at short burst efforts, and at bikehandling. If you put two and two together, you know he can take obstacles and corners at a higher speed (bike handling) and has an easier time accelerating after each of them. Now, do 40 corners/obstacles per lap, and 10 laps per race...

And just like i said in Evenepoel's defence, you' d have to be nothing short of a moron, to win each race with such dominance, if you're actually doping. It would be far more logical to make it less obvious, if that were the case.

You live up to your username by what you are saying. It is clear that MVDP can ride circles around his closest competitors in terms of bike handling. The man is truly gifted when riding through mud and taking corners in a cyclo-cross race. Only thing I question is the last paragraph of your comment. Your cyclo-cross knowledge far exceeds mine, but it seem s clear to me that MVDP eases up on the last lap of races he won. He freewheels on sections of the last lap that he previously went full gas. There are a few instances where it was obvious he took it easy on the last lap. I am not saying that is evidence of doping; I am just saying that your reasoning does not clear the guy of suspicion.
User avatar the delgados

18 Mar 2019 02:24

There is no reason to finish 2 minutes ahead. He has a long season, CX, Road and mountainbike. No need to overdo it. He doesn't hold back in the final laps to avoid suspicion, but to conserve energy. Holding back the final lap would not make it less suspicious.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

Re:

18 Mar 2019 10:00

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:There is no reason to finish 2 minutes ahead. He has a long season, CX, Road and mountainbike. No need to overdo it. He doesn't hold back in the final laps to avoid suspicion, but to conserve energy. Holding back the final lap would not make it less suspicious.

truth
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Previous

Return to The Clinic