Register

2019 Giro d'Italia, stage 7: Vasto - L'Aquila 185 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

2019 Giro d'Italia, stage 7: Vasto - L'Aquila 185 km

16 May 2019 21:13

Eshnar wrote:Stage 7: Vasto - L'Aquila 185 km

Friday, May 17th

START TIME: 12.25 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

Technical Overview:
The Giro comes back to L'Aquila, 10 years after the tragic earthquake of 2009. The race has already visited L'Aquila the year after it, and the result was a much less tragic earthquake, this time in the GC, as a huge breakaway won with over 10' on the peloton, ravaging the GC and setting up the stage for one of the greatest Giros of this millennium. That stage had 262 km and various climbs... unlike the one of today. Today the route will be very similar only in the final part, while the rest is very different and significantly easier. Starting from the Adriatic sea, in the town of Vasto, the route follows the coast until the town of Ortona, from which it starts heading towards the mountains. However, it avoids most of them. The terrain is not flat, mind you. After an ascending and descending false flat, the small climb of Ripa Teatina leads to the uncategorized climb of Chieti (not the classic wall often used in Tirreno), whose descent brings to an actual flat section of 40 km that connects with the route of the 2010 stage and ends with the one categorized climb of the day, Svolte di Popoli (GPM2, 7.8 km at 6.3%). This is an decent climb, but it is too isolated and far from the finish (46 km to go) to be consequential. It has no descent, as at the top a 22 km long false flat starts, which terminates with a short and fast descent to reach the town of L'Aquila. Here, the final kms will be very interesting (slightly different from 2010, but with the same concept), featuring two consecutive small hills: first the climb of Torrione (3 km at 5%, but with the first 1.5 km at 7,3%), which is just the climb to Acquasanta of 2010 with a 1.5 km added false flat on top, making it twice as long. It tops at 6.5 km to go, and has a very irregular descent. After that, 1 km of false flat leads to the uphill finish (this one is the same as 2010), measuring 1 km at 7.6%.

The Climbs:
Svolte di Popoli, GPM2, 7.8 km at 6.3%
A nice climb with a few demanding ramps.

What to expect:
This should be a very entertaining finale, but with very few seconds up for grabs it's unclear whether GC contenders will go for it seriously.

L'Aquila
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

16 May 2019 22:27

Got a feeling the break will take this too. I’ll go for Cattaneo.
User avatar Poursuivant

16 May 2019 22:40

Breakaway city.

WIth UAE in the lead, could be a good time to sneak away for lesser GC contenders, or even riders who already took their chance today.

Think the GC guys will fight for seconds on the last km.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

16 May 2019 22:42

I think Sosa could be a good pick for this stage, provided he can manage to get in the break. If he does, I don't see anyone threatening him on the final kilometre (assuming the break is not caught).
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

16 May 2019 22:43

Red Rick wrote:Breakaway city.

WIth UAE in the lead, could be a good time to sneak away for lesser GC contenders, or even riders who already took their chance today.

Think the GC guys will fight for seconds on the last km.

A few seconds might not be appetizing enough to put in a real effort. There may be a fight, but I'm guessing it will be a contender falling off the pace, rather than a contender going away.

But who knows.
More Strides than Rides

16 May 2019 23:45

Break for sure.

GC gonna wait for the TT, then reassess.
User avatar 120mmStem

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia, stage 7: Vasto - L'Aquila 185 km

16 May 2019 23:53

I got a new job and a ton of work to do over the past couple of months. Catching up with the Giro on YouTube is no fun...

Dumoulin gone. Meh so far. Tomorrow looks like a defensive riding stage for the contenders. Last kilometer dig at best. Back loaded designs will do that to you, but keeping the GC close makes money. I'd like one of today's BOD guys to be in it and extend their lead with a final GC top-10 as a reward. Can't see it tho'...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

17 May 2019 00:17

Sosa/Tao/Dunbar, De Gendt, Cattaneo. Ciccone probably won't bother with just one climb again.

Hopefully Maestri/Frapporti get out there again for my Velogames team.
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

17 May 2019 00:29

I am goingfor Jens Bakelants or Gianluca Brambilla from the break
HelloDolly

17 May 2019 00:41

What should UAE do? They obviously want to protect the maglia rosa with Conti and the finale suits Ulissi perfectly. But they only have Bohli, Polanc, Marcato and Consonni to bring the break back. If a strong break goes I'm not sure they'll be able to catch them. The best would be to send Ulissi in the break but other teams probably won't let it happen. Maybe Polanc should try to go in the break. This way they'll force other teams to work behind. I don't see any other team happy to work to bring the break back. Maybe Katusha for Battaglin but I don't think he is 100% after the crash the other day. Teams of GC favourites won't bother surely even though some of them are well suited to tomorrow's finish.
User avatar johnymax

17 May 2019 00:51

Another one for the break with maybe a bit of shadow boxing from the GC riders at the finish.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2019 00:57

johnymax wrote:What should UAE do? They obviously want to protect the maglia rosa with Conti and the finale suits Ulissi perfectly. But they only have Bohli, Polanc, Marcato and Consonni to bring the break back. If a strong break goes I'm not sure they'll be able to catch them. The best would be to send Ulissi in the break but other teams probably won't let it happen. Maybe Polanc should try to go in the break. This way they'll force other teams to work behind. I don't see any other team happy to work to bring the break back. Maybe Katusha for Battaglin but I don't think he is 100% after the crash the other day. Teams of GC favourites won't bother surely even though some of them are well suited to tomorrow's finish.

Polanc in the break is a good idea actually. At 30th in the GC, virtually all the guys in front of him are either breakaway riders from yesterday or GC guys, so there would be a good chance of him being the highest placed rider in the break, in which case UAE could completely abandon doing any work.

I think the break succeeds but I'm not quite as certain as yesterday. Some teams might want to test out Roglic after his crash yesterday.

I'll be sticking with Gallopin for another day, with a couple of Sunweb riders (Hindley and Hamilton) as outsiders.
The Barb

17 May 2019 03:12

Is Hugh Carthy riding GC, has he or garmin said that?
Frankschleck

17 May 2019 05:29

Tomorrow is a 239 km long snooze so hope someone gives it a go today. Last year Yates would have gone for some time on his GC rivals but now of course, he's "Mr TT Superstar with Epaulettes" so I'd guess a 200 m sprint at the finish. Otherwise, Go Madouas!
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

17 May 2019 05:39

Frankschleck wrote:Is Hugh Carthy riding GC, has he or garmin said that?

A standard Hugh Carthy interview gives so little away, leaving all options open, that information is actually sucked from both the interviewer and listeners leaving them less informed than they were prior to the interview.

In answer to your question he didn't deny he may target GC when asked. But that means little.
User avatar wirral

17 May 2019 05:41

Carapaz ftw! Otherwise Ciccone from the break.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

17 May 2019 06:42

Will Astana let Ion in the break?
the chicken from T

Re:

17 May 2019 06:56

luckyboy wrote:Sosa/Tao/Dunbar, De Gendt, Cattaneo. Ciccone probably won't bother with just one climb again.

Hopefully Maestri/Frapporti get out there again for my Velogames team.

Ciccone will most likely bother. He is from Chieti.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

17 May 2019 07:08

Another breakaway win, unless MS wants to control it for Yates or UAE for Ulissi.
User avatar Climbing

Re:

17 May 2019 07:34

Climbing wrote:Another breakaway win, unless MS wants to control it for Yates or UAE for Ulissi.

UAE might as well chug Ulissi in the breakaway.

I there any chance Ulissi would be the highest ranked rider in a breakaway?
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Next

Return to Professional road racing