Register

2019 C du Dauphiné stage 7 St. Genix - Les Sept 133.5 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

15 Jun 2019 16:59

Rollthedice wrote:Looking how this field looks like, Thomas should win the Tour fingers in the nose. Very disappointing climbing level compared to fourth Skineos man. Even Teejay could take a top 5 like in the good old days.

I don't think you can use a stage like today, with the weather being what it was, to make that conclusion.

Cold/wet vs warm/dry is very different indeed.
User avatar Broccolidwarf

Re:

15 Jun 2019 17:03

Rollthedice wrote:Looking how this field looks like, Thomas should win the Tour fingers in the nose. Very disappointing climbing level compared to fourth Skineos man. Even Teejay could take a top 5 like in the good old days.

I am starting to believe it as well! LOL.
Maybe the weather had something to do with it.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

15 Jun 2019 17:06

Lequack wrote:Quintana, Porte and Kruijswik really need to put some magic into the training to be ready for the Tour, they seemed to have lost more than expected today. Especially Quintana with his big attack I actually saw him maybe winning the stage and overall at first.

Very nice surprise by Teejay to be up there, he was showing some form already at Tour of California. Also Sepp Kuss seemed to have found his legs again, 1 month too late unfortunately, and he's not doing the Tour as well which is a shame.

I don't know what is wrong with Quintana these days either. At some point he was just more focused on the computer than riding hard like if it was a training. Either that or they need to get him out of his home country for training.

Porte has an excuse. Kruijswik is a diesel engine. He needs more days to warm up. :D
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

15 Jun 2019 17:44

So, Fuglsang actually attackted partially because of the rain:

“When we started, it looked like it was going to be a nice day. We were hoping for a good weather the whole day but in the last climb it was so cold… Half of me was just saying ‘okay let’s get to the finish as fast as possible”, that was the only thing I wanted to do,” Fuglsang explained.
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

15 Jun 2019 18:28

Sepp Kuss is seemingly finding his form now.
User avatar Moviefan1203

Re: Re:

15 Jun 2019 20:34

Broccolidwarf wrote:

I don't think you can use a stage like today, with the weather being what it was, to make that conclusion.

Cold/wet vs warm/dry is very different indeed.

You also can’t use Poels as a benchmark because on any given day he can be grupetto fodder or as good a climber as Froome or anywhere in between. He’s a domestique not because his top level is below that of genuine Tour contenders but because he absolutely can’t be relied upon to produce that level on any given day. He’s one rider there’s no point in measuring form or level against because his level could be anything with no warning or explanation.

The more worrying benchmarks are Tejay, Buchmann.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

16 Jun 2019 02:43

User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

16 Jun 2019 09:40

The big storm at the finish was fatal
https://www.theguardian.com/weather/2019/jun/16/tourist-drowns-in-lake-geneva-as-storm-batters-switzerland
A woman has drowned in Lake Geneva when her sightseeing boat sank as a violent storm battered parts of Switzerland on Saturday, police said.
In the neighbouring French region of Haute-Savoie the storm also caused damage and left a 51-year-old German tourist dead after a tree came down at a campsite.
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

16 Jun 2019 10:58

So... Wanty had some issues yesterday…

(Yes, it's in Dutch. Why am I following a page I can't actually read? Because I am! Don't question my addiction!)
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

16 Jun 2019 11:54

RedheadDane wrote:So... Wanty had some issues yesterday…

(Yes, it's in Dutch. Why am I following a page I can't actually read? Because I am! Don't question my addiction!)

UAE gave the Wanty boys a lift after their bus/coach broke down.
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Photos from the climb to Sept Laux

17 Jun 2019 12:44

I went up to watch the riders on the final climb to Pipay, near Grenoble, with around 8km to the finish. The weather was as bad as I've ever known with storms with heavy rain, thunder and lightning.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oR4tPr3LSP8BCaGJ8

The guys at the front were racing, but the guys at the back looked like they were so ready for somewhere warm and dry. What was good was most weren't wearing glasses so you could really see the expression in their eyes.

Cheers, Russell
Russell in France
Newly Registered Member

Re: Photos from the climb to Sept Laux

17 Jun 2019 13:25

Russell in France wrote:I went up to watch the riders on the final climb to Pipay, near Grenoble, with around 8km to the finish. The weather was as bad as I've ever known with storms with heavy rain, thunder and lightning.

The guys at the front were racing, but the guys at the back looked like they were so ready for somewhere warm and dry. What was good was most weren't wearing glasses so you could really see the expression in their eyes.

Cheers, Russell

That's a nice photogallery. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Photos from the climb to Sept Laux

18 Jun 2019 06:34

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Russell in France wrote:I went up to watch the riders on the final climb to Pipay, near Grenoble, with around 8km to the finish. The weather was as bad as I've ever known with storms with heavy rain, thunder and lightning.

Cheers, Russell

That's a nice photogallery. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. It wasn't easy conditions with the rain and wind, while trying to hold an umbrella and a camera.
Russell in France
Newly Registered Member

18 Jun 2019 15:30

Hehe, the rain gives an extra dimension to the images. Well done.

Previous

Return to Professional road racing