Log in:  

Register

Giulio Ciccone thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Giulio Ciccone thread

11 Jul 2019 18:45

After his exploits this year he surely deserves his own thread. When I picked him for my CQ team I knew he'd be good but I have just loved the way he has gone after his goals this year. I don't think even he could have imagined being in yellow. Chapeau young man. With Bardet having a tough time at least I can enjoy this fella.

He has a conundrum now though. Does he try to hang onto yellow? Or give away loads of time so that he can go for the KOM jersey instead?
User avatar armchairclimber
Member
 
Posts: 1,636
Joined: 16 Jul 2011 19:44

11 Jul 2019 18:49

I really like him. He's developing nicely. I wish I'd picked him for my team but I thought he wouldn't get enough opportunities to ride for himself. Guess Giulio doesn't need to get opportunities, he just makes them himself ;)

I liked this video. He isn't very confident speaking in English but the team has been encouraging him.
https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/1149377049854791680?s=19
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,954
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

11 Jul 2019 19:08

And he's a distant relative of Madonna ... though that might not be such a proud boast these days.
User avatar armchairclimber
Member
 
Posts: 1,636
Joined: 16 Jul 2011 19:44

11 Jul 2019 19:32

NICE ride young man! I love successful breaks. He might not have gotten the stage, but the yellow kit is a pretty cool reward (even though I dislike time bonuses, thems the rules of the race)!
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,807
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

11 Jul 2019 20:07

No conundrum.

You don't give the most coveted jersey away voluntarily, unless you are planning on wearing it in Paris.

But Alaphilippe may very well relieve him from wearing it in the weekend.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,750
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re:

11 Jul 2019 20:23

tobydawq wrote:No conundrum.

You don't give the most coveted jersey away voluntarily, unless you are planning on wearing it in Paris.

But Alaphilippe may very well relieve him from wearing it in the weekend.

I can see it being quite an exciting battle between the 2 of them for bonus seconds and maybe even a stage win or 2 over this weekend, with the ultimate prize being to have the tv cameras follow your every move on the BAgneres and possibly even Tourmalet stages.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 1,143
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

11 Jul 2019 20:44

It is tricky for Ciccone. His team is behind LRP. His usual MO is get in the break and collect mountain points. Now he has the biggest role in cycling unexpectedly. I hope the team help him to defend it for a few stages at least.
User avatar armchairclimber
Member
 
Posts: 1,636
Joined: 16 Jul 2011 19:44

Re: Giulio Ciccone thread

11 Jul 2019 20:48

armchairclimber wrote:After his exploits this year he surely deserves his own thread. When I picked him for my CQ team I knew he'd be good but I have just loved the way he has gone after his goals this year. I don't think even he could have imagined being in yellow. Chapeau young man. With Bardet having a tough time at least I can enjoy this fella.

He has a conundrum now though. Does he try to hang onto yellow? Or give away loads of time so that he can go for the KOM jersey instead?


I had the same idea today of making a thread about him. Beat me to it. I love the tenacity and drive he has. He will win many stages in years to come.
User avatar fuiers
Member
 
Posts: 311
Joined: 23 Apr 2018 11:23

11 Jul 2019 20:50

Enjoyed watching him today.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,428
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

11 Jul 2019 21:00

armchairclimber wrote:It is tricky for Ciccone. His team is behind LRP. His usual MO is get in the break and collect mountain points. Now he has the biggest role in cycling unexpectedly. I hope the team help him to defend it for a few stages at least.

Trek will probably be happy about the attention they get with the jersey and Segafredo are probably super happy with and Italian guy wearing it, so they'll probably try to defend it for a few days.
Mayomaniac
Member
 
Posts: 402
Joined: 10 Apr 2019 15:48

Re: Giulio Ciccone thread

11 Jul 2019 21:01

fuiers wrote:
armchairclimber wrote:After his exploits this year he surely deserves his own thread. When I picked him for my CQ team I knew he'd be good but I have just loved the way he has gone after his goals this year. I don't think even he could have imagined being in yellow. Chapeau young man. With Bardet having a tough time at least I can enjoy this fella.

He has a conundrum now though. Does he try to hang onto yellow? Or give away loads of time so that he can go for the KOM jersey instead?


I had the same idea today of making a thread about him. Beat me to it. I love the tenacity and drive he has. He will win many stages in years to come.

I was thinking the same thing. Also surprised that Teuns doesn't have one. This forum can be weird about which riders get a thread sometimes.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,587
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

11 Jul 2019 21:03

He has one now :) GO!
User avatar armchairclimber
Member
 
Posts: 1,636
Joined: 16 Jul 2011 19:44

Re: Giulio Ciccone thread

11 Jul 2019 21:04

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
fuiers wrote:
armchairclimber wrote:After his exploits this year he surely deserves his own thread. When I picked him for my CQ team I knew he'd be good but I have just loved the way he has gone after his goals this year. I don't think even he could have imagined being in yellow. Chapeau young man. With Bardet having a tough time at least I can enjoy this fella.

He has a conundrum now though. Does he try to hang onto yellow? Or give away loads of time so that he can go for the KOM jersey instead?


I had the same idea today of making a thread about him. Beat me to it. I love the tenacity and drive he has. He will win many stages in years to come.

I was thinking the same thing. Also surprised that Teuns doesn't have one. This forum can be weird about which riders get a thread sometimes.


Haha, one minute later your wish was granted :lol:

Edit: Actually, it may just have been a few seconds...
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,750
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

11 Jul 2019 21:05

Mayomaniac wrote:
armchairclimber wrote:It is tricky for Ciccone. His team is behind LRP. His usual MO is get in the break and collect mountain points. Now he has the biggest role in cycling unexpectedly. I hope the team help him to defend it for a few stages at least.

Trek will probably be happy about the attention they get with the jersey and Segafredo are probably super happy with and Italian guy wearing it, so they'll probably try to defend it for a few days.


Yeah, forgot about the Italian connection. Great. I hope he has a few days in the jersey at least.
It would be funny as hell if he just decided to try and get in the break anyways.
User avatar armchairclimber
Member
 
Posts: 1,636
Joined: 16 Jul 2011 19:44

12 Jul 2019 00:48

Would be interesting to see if he just follows wheels to keep ahead of the GC favourites. Seems to be confident in the mountains. His team have a decision to make - either switch support to Ciccone or continue fully supporting Porte. Would like to see the team fully supporting him as I don't think Porte has the legs at the moment,
AussieBob
New Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 17 Nov 2013 06:57
Location: Melbourne Australia

12 Jul 2019 01:17

I hope that T-S tries to honor the jersey, but let's not get too wound up, this kid isn't destined for the box at the end of the TdF (that's not to say that I wouldn't love to eat my words).
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,807
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

12 Jul 2019 08:10

Let's not forget he's got the Giro in his legs and this is his first season not only riding back to back GTs but even two GTs in one year.

I knew he was something special after his stage win in the 2016 Giro, but I was afraid the heart surgeries he went through could hinder his development.
He's from Chieti, my girlfriend's mother hometown, so that's another reason for me to cheer for him.

Sometimes he gives me the same feelings Michele Scarponi used to give me. A passionate, funny young man who always tries hard. Could be his heir actually.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,581
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

Re: Giulio Ciccone thread

12 Jul 2019 08:28

armchairclimber wrote:He has a conundrum now though. Does he try to hang onto yellow? Or give away loads of time so that he can go for the KOM jersey instead?


Why not both? ;)

Nah, he's got to hang on. You don't give up THE jersey voluntarily.
Also essentially he's in France to help Porte, right? The longer he keeps yellow the more opportunity Porte has to do whatever his legs allow him.

Impressive cyclist though for sure, and he seems like a nice guy too. Very easy to support someone like him.
User avatar spalco
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,144
Joined: 01 Feb 2011 18:13
Location: Vienna

Re: Giulio Ciccone thread

12 Jul 2019 09:26

Still can't believe he is in yellow. The last months must have been surreal for him. First his success at the giro now he suddenly wears the most prestigious jersey in cycling. Pretty incredible
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,205
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Giulio Ciccone thread

12 Jul 2019 10:08

spalco wrote:
armchairclimber wrote:He has a conundrum now though. Does he try to hang onto yellow? Or give away loads of time so that he can go for the KOM jersey instead?


Why not both? ;)

Nah, he's got to hang on. You don't give up THE jersey voluntarily.
Also essentially he's in France to help Porte, right? The longer he keeps yellow the more opportunity Porte has to do whatever his legs allow him.

Impressive cyclist though for sure, and he seems like a nice guy too. Very easy to support someone like him.

He said that he'll try to keep the jersey as long as possible, but that Porte is the captain and the gc rider that he and the team will work for. He seems to have a decent relationship with Porte, they did a training camp in the Sierra Nevada before the Ardennes and one in Isola 2000 before the Tour.
Purito used to be his idol, his favourite active rider is Valverde.
Mayomaniac
Member
 
Posts: 402
Joined: 10 Apr 2019 15:48

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anderis, bambino, DenisMenchov, Eyeballs Out, Frosty, macbindle, Midnightfright, MrTea1976, Red Rick, RedheadDane, Ricco', Saint Unix, search, shalgo, topcat, VO2 Max, wirral and 138 guests

Back to top