Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

30 Apr 2015 21:59

huh? A terror attack? Who wanted to attack a cycling race?
User avatar The Hitch

01 May 2015 12:49

People who knows that attacking a place where a lot of people are gathered (and even more watching on the tv) is a great way of instilling terror.
User avatar RedheadDane

Re:

02 May 2015 12:53

The Hitch wrote:huh? A terror attack? Who wanted to attack a cycling race?

Militant car drivers, obviously.
User avatar Arnout

Re:

03 May 2015 07:17

RedheadDane wrote:People who knows that attacking a place where a lot of people are gathered (and even more watching on the tv) is a great way of instilling terror.

Well it worked at the Boston marathon and terrorists always want maximum publicity. So much for the innocent days of farmers protesting in the Tour.
movingtarget

03 May 2015 22:52

I have a question and there didnt seem to be a suitable thread so I'll have to ask it here.

Regarding the bunch all gets the same time rule, why if 2 bunches finish separated by 1 second is the gap not 1 second? Instead it is the gap between the first rider of bunch 1 and the first rider of bunch 2 but this makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain why they do it this way? cheers
willbick

Re:

03 May 2015 23:41

willbick wrote:I have a question and there didnt seem to be a suitable thread so I'll have to ask it here.

Regarding the bunch all gets the same time rule, why if 2 bunches finish separated by 1 second is the gap not 1 second? Instead it is the gap between the first rider of bunch 1 and the first rider of bunch 2 but this makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain why they do it this way? cheers

Done the alternative way you suggest, a second bunch of riders who've been gapped could sprint towards the back of the first large and slowing bunch (emphasis on large and slowing) as it comes over the line. With inevitable consequences.
Last edited by Vino's Mum on 04 May 2015 00:02, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar Vino's Mum

Re: Re:

Yesterday 00:00

Vino's Mum wrote:
willbick wrote:I have a question and there didnt seem to be a suitable thread so I'll have to ask it here.

Done the alternative way you suggest, a second bunch of riders who've been gapped would sprint towards the back of the first large and slowing bunch (emphasis on large and slowing) as it comes over the line. With inevitable consequences.

???? sorry to be dumb but i dont understand why the rule as it stands stops this from happening, or at least makes it less likely
willbick

Yesterday 00:43

Sorry, I misread your question. Was about to delete my obviously wrong answer when you quoted it.
User avatar Vino's Mum

Re:

Yesterday 07:30

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question... But supposing I did: group 1 gets to the line at 5h51'30'' (timing of the first rider of the group)... after, say, 10'' all the riders of the group have passed, and 2'' later the first rider of group 2 gets to the line, exactly at 5h51'42''... therefore the gap between the two groups is 12". It's a pretty consistent way of representing the gaps. Not sure how you could come up with a different system that would prevent a mess.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

Yesterday 17:13

Arnout wrote:
The Hitch wrote:huh? A terror attack? Who wanted to attack a cycling race?

Militant car drivers, obviously.

I thought they all lived in my city...
nayr497

Yesterday 23:11

Eshnar wrote:

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question... But supposing I did: group 1 gets to the line at 5h51'30'' (timing of the first rider of the group)... after, say, 10'' all the riders of the group have passed, and 2'' later the first rider of group 2 gets to the line, exactly at 5h51'42''... therefore the gap between the two groups is 12". It's a pretty consistent way of representing the gaps. Not sure how you could come up with a different system that would prevent a mess.

yes you understand what i am saying - i just think if 2 groups finish say 1 second apart then the time gap should be 1 second. i dont see why that would result in a mess - it seems perfectly logical to me. it seems unfair that if there is a small split in a finish then the riders behind the split get penalised several seconds in effect.
willbick

Previous

Return to Professional road racing