Log in:  

Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

21 Sep 2017 07:43

Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Max Rockatansky wrote:http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/newswire/road-world-championships-veneto-2020-vicenza/#.Wb6aadMjFmA

Vicenza is the only candidate left for worlds 2020. So they will return to Italy.

Also Innsbruck will finally present their courses this week.

Monte Berico, aka that climb where Gilbert beat Contador in an uphill sprint and where Aru pulled his worst ever faces

I just hope they don't make an uphill finish like in the giro 2015. If they make a hilly route and a downhill finish it would be great. Monte Berico had some really steep ramps iirc.


Obviously, have it at least 10km from the finish, preferably with another, easier hill later in the circuit
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,535
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: General News Thread

21 Sep 2017 08:55

TMP402 wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:This isn't really big news but Matthias Brändle just said on TV that he is planning to make an attempt to get the hour record back.


Well I like that news.

I think Wiggins record is unbeatable for anyone but Dennis (given 1/2 years) and Küng in the future.
Brändle won't even come close
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 22,085
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: General News Thread

21 Sep 2017 12:35

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
TMP402 wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:This isn't really big news but Matthias Brändle just said on TV that he is planning to make an attempt to get the hour record back.


Well I like that news.

I think Wiggins record is unbeatable for anyone but Dennis (given 1/2 years) and Küng in the future.
Brändle won't even come close


I agree that Brändle probably won't break it (unless he goes to Bolivia), I just encourage more attempts by any credible rider. It was a big thing for a few months with some random under-the-radar attempts as a sort of retirement party by third-division veterans since then. I was disappointed Cancellara didn't try it. I think Martin doesn't stand much of a chance anymore but could still try it. Dumoulin should try it. Dowsett is apparently planning another attempt. FWIW I think Wiggins' record is beatable. For one thing, no-one has yet tried it at proper altitude.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,203
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 12:36

Re: General News Thread

21 Sep 2017 14:38

TMP402 wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
TMP402 wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:This isn't really big news but Matthias Brändle just said on TV that he is planning to make an attempt to get the hour record back.


Well I like that news.

I think Wiggins record is unbeatable for anyone but Dennis (given 1/2 years) and Küng in the future.
Brändle won't even come close


I agree that Brändle probably won't break it (unless he goes to Bolivia), I just encourage more attempts by any credible rider. It was a big thing for a few months with some random under-the-radar attempts as a sort of retirement party by third-division veterans since then. I was disappointed Cancellara didn't try it. I think Martin doesn't stand much of a chance anymore but could still try it. Dumoulin should try it. Dowsett is apparently planning another attempt. FWIW I think Wiggins' record is beatable. For one thing, no-one has yet tried it at proper altitude.


I think some of the road race riders who have a track background can come very close, like Geriant Thomas, Durbridge etc.
Frankschleck
Junior Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 17 Jul 2016 20:10

Re: General News Thread

21 Sep 2017 15:51

Frankschleck wrote:
TMP402 wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
TMP402 wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:This isn't really big news but Matthias Brändle just said on TV that he is planning to make an attempt to get the hour record back.


Well I like that news.

I think Wiggins record is unbeatable for anyone but Dennis (given 1/2 years) and Küng in the future.
Brändle won't even come close


I agree that Brändle probably won't break it (unless he goes to Bolivia), I just encourage more attempts by any credible rider. It was a big thing for a few months with some random under-the-radar attempts as a sort of retirement party by third-division veterans since then. I was disappointed Cancellara didn't try it. I think Martin doesn't stand much of a chance anymore but could still try it. Dumoulin should try it. Dowsett is apparently planning another attempt. FWIW I think Wiggins' record is beatable. For one thing, no-one has yet tried it at proper altitude.


I think some of the road race riders who have a track background can come very close, like Geriant Thomas, Durbridge etc.

Does track background really help you in an hour record attempt. I don't really understand why it should.

Anyway, although I don't think Brändel will beat the record I still think he could be better than last time, especially because back then he made the record on a shorter track with therefore more and sharper turns. That will probably cost you a few hundred meters.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,013
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: General News Thread

21 Sep 2017 18:07

Gigs_98 wrote:Does track background really help you in an hour record attempt. I don't really understand why it should.


It is noticeable that track riders can (usually) stick to the optimal racing line as if they were a tram attached to it. I think it was Thomas Dekker who was horrible at sticking to the line, and he was really only a lap away from beating Dennis' record, so we can say better line discipline may have won him the record. Constantly weaving inches away from the best line adds up over the course of an hour.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,203
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 12:36

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DonEsteban, Echoes, GenericBoonenFan, liamito, Ricco', Ruudz0r, Singer01 and 60 guests

Back to top