Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

29 Sep 2017 17:47

RedheadDane wrote:Having seen those pictures from the Tour of Rwanda I really hope they can get it some day. However, and this might be extremely prejudiced, I dunno if they can afford it. If not, then maybe the richer national federations should lend them a hand.

That would be great, seeing these riders on their bikes worth €10k race on dirt tracks while about 40% of the children in Rwanda is malnourished.

Not to mention the variety of other reasons why this would be a bad idea.
Rwanda is really not an option for atleast the next 20years.
Breh

29 Sep 2017 17:59

If only there was a way to host a big event in Rwanda or other countries in similar situations - maybe not the World's, but something slightly smaller - and instead of having it cost them money it would actually give them money.
Have the richer national federations, and UCI in general, pay the bill while the host country gets to keep the revenue.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

29 Sep 2017 18:24

The problem is that it's difficult to earn money from organising a bike race because there are no entrance fees. The only chance are sponsors and selling TV rights. I have no idea if there is a rich patron in Rwanda who would be willing to pay the costs.
From what I know, the people in Rwanda are very passionate about cycling, so that will help to find the necessary support among the people. It would be very bad indeed if the funding of the event would result in budget cuts in other way more important sectors such as education or health care.
Sestriere

Re:

29 Sep 2017 20:17

Breh wrote:According to Sporza UCI has some new guidelines for next season:

-Missing the time limit will result in loss of all points in the minor classifications if the jury decides not to kick you out.

A rule to give the race jury a get-out for ignoring the rules. I'm rather they just instructed race juries to apply the rules that exist.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re: Re:

29 Sep 2017 20:19

Armchair cyclist wrote:

-Missing the time limit will result in loss of all points in the minor classifications if the jury decides not to kick you out.

A rule to give the race jury a get-out for ignoring the rules. I'm rather they just instructed race juries to apply the rules that exist.

Are you talking about going under level crossings? I don't remember any other rules not being enforced.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re: Re:

29 Sep 2017 23:33

GuyIncognito wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:

Are you talking about going under level crossings? I don't remember any other rules not being enforced.

Er, I'm talking about the only new guideline that I quoted.
You don't remember any instances of time limits not being enforced?
User avatar Armchair cyclist

30 Sep 2017 07:12

Ah, the Vuelta time limit. Sure, I'm onboard.
User avatar GuyIncognito

30 Sep 2017 07:24

To me the biggest problem with the dispensation-system is that number of riders being HD, rather than how hard each individual rider worked to finish.
So a rider who crashes, and then works his *** out of his shorts to finish just a few seconds outside the timelimit, is less likely to be granted mercy than a whole bunch of riders taking it easy in order to all stick together, and finishing several minutes outside the timelimit.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: General News Thread

30 Sep 2017 15:14

Can't wait for biased jury decisions with this new time limit rule.

That said, the rule that you lose your minor classification points is great and will change the way the grupetto races. Sprinters usually care about the points classification and they are usually in the grupetto so huge groups finishing outside the time limit will get a lot less common.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

03 Oct 2017 18:09

The start and finish of all the Tour de Romandie stages has been revealed almost 2 weeks ago:
Prologe: Fribourg
Stage 1: Fribourg - Delémont
Stage 2: Delémont - Yverdon-les-Bains
Stage 3 (MTT): Ollon - Villars
Stage 4: Sion - Sion (apparently the hardest mountain stage)
Stage 5: Mont-sur-Rolle - Genève
Source: http://www.tagblatt.ch/sport/rad/etappenorte-der-tour-de-romandie-bekannt;art608,5092910
User avatar Mayomaniac

07 Oct 2017 14:00

That stage 4 can be a very good stage.
Forever The Best

07 Oct 2017 15:51

I know this isn't news, but I just realised a rather neat pattern about the Monuments, and couldn't think of anywhere else to post it.

Italy.
Belgium.
France.
Belgium.
Italy.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

09 Oct 2017 13:18

trucido

10 Oct 2017 04:27

The driver of the van that collided with Michele Scarponi is on trial. He alledgely was watching a video on his phone, which lead to the accident.

http://amp.timeinc.net/cyclingweekly/news/latest-news/scarponi-driver-distracted-video-playing-smartphone-354403?source=dam
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

10 Oct 2017 14:58

Red Rick wrote:The driver of the van that collided with Michele Scarponi is on trial. He alledgely was watching a video on his phone, which lead to the accident.

http://amp.timeinc.net/cyclingweekly/news/latest-news/scarponi-driver-distracted-video-playing-smartphone-354403?source=dam

Who's so **** dumb to watch a video while driving? I know there's an issue with texting and I strongly disfavor that whenever it occurs. But to watch a full video. My gosh. That's at least negligence if not more...
User avatar staubsauger

12 Oct 2017 17:34

The 2018 edition of Grand Prix de Denain will be held on sunday, a day after Milano-Sanremo, and will feature some cobbles from Paris-Roubaix (more than ten sectors, it will be a real race for cobbles-lovers).
User avatar Alexandre B.

15 Oct 2017 15:34

Shame it will be just a day after MSR then, otherwise it could attract a stronger field.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

Previous

Return to Professional road racing