Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

Re:

Yesterday 17:20

staubsauger wrote:More likely they demand 5 wildcards from the UCI because of the riders per team reduction.

Androni, Israel Cycling Academy, Bardiani or Nippo, Wilier and Vital Concept IMHO!

Vital Concept? That would be a bit of a surprise.
I've heard some rumours about Aqua Blue wanting to get a Giro wildcard, but nothing about Vital Concept.
Caja Ruraj are now also riding De Rosa bikes, but they are probably happy with a Vuelta wildcard and a few shorter Italian stage races.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re: Re:

Yesterday 17:29

Mayomaniac wrote:
staubsauger wrote:More likely they demand 5 wildcards from the UCI because of the riders per team reduction.

Androni, Israel Cycling Academy, Bardiani or Nippo, Wilier and Vital Concept IMHO!

I've heard some rumours about Aqua Blue wanting to get a Giro wildcard, but nothing about Vital Concept.
Caja Ruraj are now also riding De Rosa bikes, but they are probably happy with a Vuelta wildcard and a few shorter Italian stage races.

I thought it was quite suspicious RCS waited which team didn't get a Tour invitation until the Giro wildcards are announced. Plus, in a sprinters field with Gripe, Viviani, Ewan, Marcezko, Nizzolo and Sbaragli to invite Bryan Coquard would certainly be a quality addition. But that's just my personal opinion!
User avatar staubsauger

Yesterday 18:02

I like the 5 PCS teams idea, If I were in charge (imagine that :p ) I would've reduced team sizes but kept the number of riders equal. I don't think this new smaller peloton will reduce crashes, most crashes happen because everybody wants to be on the front of the race and some riders don't really have the technique for that so they require a team or use their elbows (not pointing at anyone here). In my mind the addition of more PCT teams might spice up things, more riders in the break during boring flat stages and more riders trying to mix it up for the KOM jersey during the first weeks. Wanty has shown in the latest tour why PCT teams are such a vital part of grand tours and I think that every 3week GT would benefit from teams racing like that.
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Yesterday 18:20

staubsauger wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:

I thought it was quite suspicious RCS waited which team didn't get a Tour invitation until the Giro wildcards are announced. Plus, in a sprinters field with Gripe, Viviani, Ewan, Marcezko, Nizzolo and Sbaragli to invite Bryan Coquard would certainly be a quality addition. But that's just my personal opinion!

Durning the last few years they haven't invited Direct Energy/Europcar to Milano-Sanremo, so I don't think that they actually care about Coquard.
Someone like Cipo will probably try to use all his influnce and power to get Bardiani a wildcard to promote his bikes.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Yesterday 18:34

Mayomaniac wrote:
staubsauger wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:

Durning the last few years they haven't invited Direct Energy/Europcar to Milano-Sanremo, so I don't think that they actually care about Coquard.
Someone like Cipo will probably try to use all his influnce and power to get Bardiani a wildcard to promote his bikes.

That's a real good point. Didn't thought about that one.

Ciccone is the future while Cunego sadly enough is the past. So I would rather take Bardiani than Nippo. Both should target the blue jersey, anyway.
User avatar staubsauger

Previous

Return to Professional road racing