Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Re: General News Thread

19 Jul 2016 19:27

While I suppose it would be to PCC to approve the duration, I have my doubts that a race with 4 stages is going to get WT status.

The date seems to be an August so I guess it's back to where it used to be in the calendar.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re: Re:

19 Jul 2016 20:51

Max Rockatansky wrote:
FilipeFD wrote:
Max Rockatansky wrote:ASO and BDR will bring back the Deutschland Tour in 2018. They will make an announcement on the second rest day of the TdF.

any news on this yet?

The German national weekly newspaper ZEIT just wrote, that it will return in 2018 as an ASO race with World Tour status. It will feature four stages in 2018 and then will be grown into a one week race over the next years. The contract between ASO and the German Cycling Federation seems to be a ten year contract.

They haven't pointed out yet, when the race will take place in the calendar.

I like that idea. In that first year you could easily put in a sprinter stage, a hilly stage, a short itt and an cobble stage. That would be a first good mix to create some good racing. I really hope, that they don't try that old bs with Sölden/Tirol and that idea, that it has to be a mini Tour de France in Austria.

Given the specialties of the current top rank German riders, if they want local interest to draw in fans they have a strong incentive to steer clear of mountains and keep things welcoming for big lumps.
Zinoviev Letter

19 Jul 2016 21:39

In file under "what the hell" news, there are allegedly plans for a new Hiberno-French ProConti team next season. An Irish oriented team based in France makes a certain amount of sense as an "An Post" to develop riders who aren't suited to kermesses and cobbles, and there was even an attempt to set one up last year which collapsed at the last moment. Talk of a ProConti outfit is very surprising though, because of the much greater budgets involved. And because, well, there aren't very many Irish riders who seem like they are ready for the ProConti level.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/new-irish-pro-team-set-for-international-peloton-in-2017/
Zinoviev Letter

20 Jul 2016 12:14

Dominique Arnaud, former teammate of Hinault and Indurain, has passed by. Movistar Team remembers him as he got the first win for their ancestor Reynolds team.
https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/755689301413888000
ice&fire

21 Jul 2016 13:59

Apparently, sunday's TDF stage might not be ridden due to safety reasons.
User avatar lenric

Re:

21 Jul 2016 14:06

lenric wrote:Apparently, sunday's TDF stage might not be ridden due to safety reasons.

They should hold it someplace else if necessary, but not to have a final stage would feel like giving in. In any case it's illogical: if you were a terrorist or some other saboteur you have much better access to the riders on MTFs.
User avatar TMP402

21 Jul 2016 14:12

they don't care about hurting the riders, they just want to hit as many people as possible. there's so much people on the champs elysees that day, it would be very easy to make an attack.

they should find an alternative if there is a real risk of an attack.
carolina

21 Jul 2016 14:13

TMP402 wrote:
lenric wrote:Apparently, sunday's TDF stage might not be ridden due to safety reasons.

They should hold it someplace else if necessary, but not to have a final stage would feel like giving in. In any case it's illogical: if you were a terrorist or some other saboteur you have much better access to the riders on MTFs.

Don't believe the target would be the riders. Champs-Elysee avenue is the heart of Paris.
User avatar lenric

21 Jul 2016 14:45

lenric wrote:
TMP402 wrote:

Don't believe the target would be the riders. Champs-Elysee avenue is the heart of Paris.

Hmm. I guess I don't think like a terrorist!
User avatar TMP402

21 Jul 2016 14:58

TMP402 wrote:
lenric wrote:
TMP402 wrote:

Hmm. I guess I don't think like a terrorist!

Equally, the symbolic power of hitting France's biggest sporting event and national icon...pales in comparison to Bastille Day, but it's still a powerful motivator to want to hit the riders/race itself. Better safe than sorry.
choose life choose a car choose smack choose gullibility choose marx choose opium choose religion choose masses
-blackcat
Cannibal72

22 Jul 2016 14:10

http://www.dr.dk/sporten/cykling/bjarne-riis-og-lars-seier-overtager-talenthold

Riis and Seier (former CEO of SaxoBank), have taken over the Continental Team Trefor-Blue Water and, together with another sponsor, renamed it Team Virtu Pro - Veloconcept
Devilen

Re:

22 Jul 2016 16:13

Devilen wrote:http://www.dr.dk/sporten/cykling/bjarne-riis-og-lars-seier-overtager-talenthold

Riis and Seier (former CEO of SaxoBank), have taken over the Continental Team Trefor-Blue Water and, together with another sponsor, renamed it Team Virtu Pro - Veloconcept

That feels a bit small-time. I guess pro conti next year?
User avatar TMP402

23 Jul 2016 06:39

I'm guessing they went shopping for a team already based in Denmark, of which Trefor is probably the highest rated nowadays, and previous reports suggests that they tried getting into Cult Energy first, but failed.
Devilen

Re:

23 Jul 2016 13:28

Devilen wrote:I'm guessing they went shopping for a team already based in Denmark, of which Trefor is probably the highest rated nowadays, and previous reports suggests that they tried getting into Cult Energy first, but failed.

Bjarne Riis has taken his first steps in returning to cycling with the former Tour de France winner and Lars Seier, former CEO of Saxo Bank, taking over the Danish Continental Team Trefor. It is now known as Team Virtu Pro-Veloconcept, and "will act as a development team to a future 'WorldTour' (team) performing at the world’s highest (level)."

Virtu Pro is an "ambitious fitness bike project" from Riis and Seier. Veloconcept is "a Danish company closely related to Jan Bech, a well-known investor of Broenby IF and Danish top football."

The agreement is only for the remainder of the 2016 season, but discussions for the future are underway. Riis and Seier will "take part in the overall planning of the future strategy, however they will not take part in the daily management and operations of the team."
User avatar TMP402

Re: General News Thread

Today 17:56

the Bahrain team thread is locked

anyway, the team is confirmed, more news after August 1st

https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/758343634316066818
pastronef

Previous

Return to Professional road racing