Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

23 Jul 2017 18:00

Netserk wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Netserk wrote:I don't really see why their opinion should matter more than any other. Nor why the gender of opponents should matter.

All jobs are fine to be 'taken away' if no one no longer wants to pay for it...

Well, the main argument is that having podium girls hand out flowers and kisses objectifies women and is disrespectful to them... surely women and especially the podium girls themselves can judge that better? That men are most vocal smells a lot like OTT political correctness.

If it's about how it objectifies the individuals, yes. If it's about women in general, no.

that you dont even know where you stand demonstrates Denmark is a lost cause
Lupi33x

23 Jul 2017 19:25

Lupi33x wrote:
Netserk wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Netserk wrote:I don't really see why their opinion should matter more than any other. Nor why the gender of opponents should matter.

Well, the main argument is that having podium girls hand out flowers and kisses objectifies women and is disrespectful to them... surely women and especially the podium girls themselves can judge that better? That men are most vocal smells a lot like OTT political correctness.

If it's about how it objectifies the individuals, yes. If it's about women in general, no.

I know where I stand, and so do others, so we can't be completely lost. :p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

23 Jul 2017 21:03

Lupi33x wrote:
Netserk wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Why don't I know where I stand?
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

23 Jul 2017 21:25

Image[/quote]

Thibaut Pinot is irresistible. And way underrated ;) .
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

23 Jul 2017 21:58

I just see no need for them.
Brullnux

24 Jul 2017 11:09

RedheadDane wrote:This!
Though not because of the taking away their job bit, I'm sure they have other year-round jobs as well. What bugs me is the fact that a bunch of men acts as if they're "saving" the "girls", when in reality these women are doing this because they want to.
Yes, I'm differentiating between girls and women on purpose. Calling a grown woman a "girl" is basically saying she isn't able to make her own decisions, and needs someone to look after her. Yes, I know they're called Podium Girls, but maybe that's all that needs to change? Simply change the title to Podium Women (and do away with the look like a model bit) and things should be fine.

Also... if someone didn't enjoy it, I'm sure she'd just quit.

Why would you insist though that the ones on the podium have to be women?
It makes little sense.
User avatar Jagartrott

24 Jul 2017 12:26

Valv.Piti wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Personally I think the debate is a bit odd because the most vocal opponents of podium girls are men :confused:
These women aren't forced to do it and it seems like they enjoy it, well at least the majority. No one seems to have asked their opinion?
Is it right to take away their job?

Its all political correctness and it sucks. Podium girls like, some love their job. If I was a girl I would die to be a podium girl during a Tour, seriously... it sounds like an amazing job. Even if you aren't a cycling fan I would imagine its pretty nice. Certainly one of the best summer jobs around.

Brian Holm is totally right

Well if you hold this opinion then what's the problem with having podium men? You both say the women are happy doing this wonderful job then what's the problem having men also doing it in the same races? Personally I think it's tacky to have either but as long as we have it then what's the issue have both sexes doing it.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

24 Jul 2017 12:27

Jagartrott wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:This!
Though not because of the taking away their job bit, I'm sure they have other year-round jobs as well. What bugs me is the fact that a bunch of men acts as if they're "saving" the "girls", when in reality these women are doing this because they want to.
Yes, I'm differentiating between girls and women on purpose. Calling a grown woman a "girl" is basically saying she isn't able to make her own decisions, and needs someone to look after her. Yes, I know they're called Podium Girls, but maybe that's all that needs to change? Simply change the title to Podium Women (and do away with the look like a model bit) and things should be fine.

Also... if someone didn't enjoy it, I'm sure she'd just quit.

Why would you insist though that the ones on the podium have to be women?
It makes little sense.

You've got a point there; it does make little sense they're women. However, it's not something I'm insisting, it's just the way things are, and I just don't see any issue with that in terms of it being objectification of women. Suppose the issue here isn't prejudice towards women, but prejudice towards the idea of men kissing men, or women kissing women, since it seems more an more women's races have begun using "podium guys".
Maybe... maybe the focus shouldn't be so much on the kissing part, but more on the fact that the "Podium People" are models representing the brands sponsoring the various jerseys.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

26 Jul 2017 18:28

Claudia Cretti woke up from her coma, she seems to have no lasting brain damage from the crash in the 7th stage in the Giro Rosa
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re:

26 Jul 2017 18:40

GenericBoonenFan wrote:Claudia Cretti woke up from her coma, she seems to have no lasting brain damage from the crash in the 7th stage in the Giro Rosa

Fantastic
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re: General News Thread

Yesterday 09:41

Max Rockatansky wrote:Good Lord, the Volta field will be extremely weak this year. 46 yr old Rebellin to challenge the 460 watt trains. It's ridiculous beyond imagination.

http://www.volta-portugal.pt/equipas.php

Don't think I can watch it this year.

Stage profiles from Lasterketa Burua:

User avatar fauniera

Re: General News Thread

Today 05:50

From all the prologue possibilities in Lisbon, they choose to do Avenida India. :redface:

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Volta_a_Portugal_em_Bicicleta_Santander_Totta_2017_Startlist

Just look at this. That's so bad. Must be the worst ever 2.1 startlist in the history of this category.
Max Rockatansky

Today 05:55

spoke to some guys in sibiu. nobody wants to ride the volta a portugal, that's why the very poor startlist.
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

Re:

Today 08:06

jens_attacks wrote:spoke to some guys in sibiu. nobody wants to ride the volta a portugal, that's why the very poor startlist.

Why don't they want to though? Because of the Portugese motorbikes?
User avatar DNP-Old

Today 11:45

RedheadDane wrote:Dunno if this counts.
Tosatto joins sky, as a DS.

(from the transfers thread)
User avatar TMP402

Previous

Return to Professional road racing