Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Re: Re:

27 Mar 2017 19:11

filipepc wrote:
Netserk wrote:http://www.uci.ch/road/ranking/

The World Ranking is rolling, the WorldTour Ranking is for the season. Sagan leads the former, Greg the latter.

Sory but i didn´t understand it.

Wich ranking counts? How do you get in the end of the year wich cyclist really won if the points are diferent in each one?

What Netserk said in different words:

World Ranking is the last 12 months. So today it's the Points/Results from 28/03/2016 to 27/03/2017

WorldTour Ranking is the 2017 year. Points/Results from 01/01/2017 to today
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

27 Mar 2017 19:55

Alexandre B. wrote:
The Vuelta has more room to experiment than the other GTs.

That's true, but it's still the Vuelta. Tier 1 PCT teams should take precedence.

I'm not sure that there is much of a "tier 1" in the current PCT division. It's not like there are a few Cervelos or BMCs lurking there. I can't see that there is any team so much stronger than everyone else that they should get 2 GTs almost by right.

There is a range of quality levels, but not really currently discrete tiers or vast gaps. You could argue that, say, Direct Energie or Willier or some very well established team is a better bet than a new team, but such teams already have a GT invite and for them the Vuelta is very much a secondary consideration. It's quite reasonable for the Vuelta to prioritise teams who will prioritise the Vuelta. Why shouldn't they want their race to be the centrepiece of the season for three of their four invites? Why should they prefer to have Direct Energie's second string rather than teams that will bring a bit of novelty factor attention to their race and which will focus much of their year on doing well there?

As a general rule, I think that the Vuelta should do this sort of thing regularly. They don't have a responsibility to take local teams other than Caja Rural, and they create more of a stir by bringing in unusual teams than they do by being a minor concern for teams already going to the Giro or a Tour.

There are not many strongish PCT teams without a GT ride. I could see a case for an Androni or Roompot on strength grounds, but we don't know if either team pursued a Vuelta invite seriously and taking an Italian squad after all the Giro wildcard yelling really would involve making their race appear like a not very welcome consolation prize.
Zinoviev Letter

27 Mar 2017 20:13

GuyIncognito wrote:
filipepc wrote:

The World Ranking is rolling, the WorldTour Ranking is for the season. Sagan leads the former, Greg the latter.

Wich ranking counts? How do you get in the end of the year wich cyclist really won if the points are diferent in each one?

Thanks. Now i understand it.

World Ranking is the last 12 months. So today it's the Points/Results from 28/03/2016 to 27/03/2017

User avatar filipepc

27 Mar 2017 20:45

GuyIncognito wrote:
filipepc wrote:

And, which I forgot to mention:

World Ranking is for all races.

WorldTour Ranking is only for WT races. (So Sagan's win in K-B-K doesn't count)
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

29 Mar 2017 00:15

Official profiles of the Giro are already online.
http://www.giroditalia.it/it/tappa/tappa-1-2017/

I didn't notice major changes in comparision to the ones from the presentation.
Nirvana

Re:

29 Mar 2017 08:58

Nirvana wrote:Official profiles of the Giro are already online.

Stage 6 finale has been changed quite significantly, and there are a few very minor tweaks here and there.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

29 Mar 2017 10:08

Why has the route been changed? Isn't the route that gets presented at the official presentation usually the final one?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

29 Mar 2017 10:26

RedheadDane wrote:Why has the route been changed? Isn't the route that gets presented at the official presentation usually the final one?

lol no, routes that are presented 8 months in advance are always subject to change. Unless you do like the tdf and only publish 5/21 profiles or so. :p
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re: General News Thread

Yesterday 14:10

The categorizations of a few climbs are once again absolutely hilarious, especially the "third category" climb in stage 11 :lol:

Unfortunately the last 4 stages which imo would have needed a change stayed more or less untouched. Then again one can't really expect that organizers will just add or change climbs for no reason which hadn't already existed before the route was originally presented.
User avatar Gigs_98

Yesterday 14:49

Eshnar wrote:

Stage 6 finale has been changed quite significantly, and there are a few very minor tweaks here and there.

Is is harder or not tho?

And what else has changed? I couldn't really put my finger on anything despite probably looking through the 'old' route 5-7 times this winter.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Yesterday 19:53

Valv.Piti wrote:
Eshnar wrote:

Is is harder or not tho?

And what else has changed? I couldn't really put my finger on anything despite probably looking through the 'old' route 5-7 times this winter.

the finale of stage 6 is longer, they do a 10 km deviation after the final GPM, adding some more rolling terrain. You can argue is "harder", but it's not much different, except that it will probably give more option for attacks in the breakaway that will likely fight for the win. If they get there as "Gruppo compatto", it won't make any difference.

There is a gentle climb to Lettomanoppello on stage 9, which wasn't originally planned, and on stage 11 the GPM of Sella di Raggio has been replaced by Passo del Carnaio (basically the same thing).

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Yesterday 20:19

Old stage 6, for comparison:
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Previous

Return to Professional road racing