Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

12 Apr 2018 19:10

I agree that if you're going to let team opt out of any race on the calendar there has to be a limit of how many they can opt out of. I think around 10 is a fair number. Although I'd give a pass for something crazy happening that forces a team to withdraw from a race after having said they are going.

That was what the 2.b rule is for.
Though, doesn't that rule technically already exist? If Astana had decided to pull out of L-B-L after Scarponi's death last year, they would've been allowed, right?

I think it's a decent idea, though I think opt outs should be split between stage races and one day races, maybe with no opting out of GTs and Monuments.

I'd much rather have a wild card team that wants to be there, than a WT team that has to be there.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

13 Apr 2018 04:38

RedheadDane wrote:
I agree that if you're going to let team opt out of any race on the calendar there has to be a limit of how many they can opt out of. I think around 10 is a fair number. Although I'd give a pass for something crazy happening that forces a team to withdraw from a race after having said they are going.

That was what the 2.b rule is for.
Though, doesn't that rule technically already exist? If Astana had decided to pull out of L-B-L after Scarponi's death last year, they would've been allowed, right?

I think it's a decent idea, though I think opt outs should be split between stage races and one day races, maybe with no opting out of GTs and Monuments.

I'd much rather have a wild card team that wants to be there, than a WT team that has to be there.

I think Astana could have under the extraordinary circumstances thing.

I agree that I'd rather have a Pro Conti/wild card team at a race that wants to be there vs a WT team that is there because they have to be. Obviously Movistar and the cobbled races is the example there as they aren't too keen on the idea of any of those races, and has been proven over the years with very few good results in those races.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

13 Apr 2018 07:39

I'd much rather have a wild card team that wants to be there, than a WT team that has to be there.[/quote]

I completely agree. It used to really annoy me when the old incarnation of Direct Energie had an automatic invite to La Vuelta as a top tier team. They rarely sent their top riders and never looked bothered about being there, often ending up with only a small part of the team by the end of the race. I was really pleased that their wildcard invite was refused when they had to apply! Give me a keen pro Conti team over a reluctant World Tour one any day.
User avatar mariposa

Re: Re:

13 Apr 2018 20:20

mariposa wrote:I'd much rather have a wild card team that wants to be there, than a WT team that has to be there.

I completely agree. It used to really annoy me when the old incarnation of Direct Energie had an automatic invite to La Vuelta as a top tier team. They rarely sent their top riders and never looked bothered about being there, often ending up with only a small part of the team by the end of the race. I was really pleased that their wildcard invite was refused when they had to apply! Give me a keen pro Conti team over a reluctant World Tour one any day.[/quote]

It's always like that. A lot of WT teams are bringing to the giro their b teams without having any ambition every year for example, but in most of the WT races there are reluctant teams: does Movistar really need/want/deserve to be in all the cobbled classics (Omloop, Harelbeke, Dwars, Gent, RvV, P-R) with 0 ambitions ever for a top 5? Does Lotto Soudal need/want to be at the Tour of the Basque Coutry while the holy week is going on in Belgium? It's the WT system which is sick and illogic, only a few teams have the resources/capacity to be competitive during all the WT calendar, the Wildcards are a free decision of the organizers; it's their freedom to chose who they want considering that they are already obligated by the UCI to accept 18 teams. This brings us to a reflection on the sense of the "Professionals" category: their level is falling down year by year, all the big riders are in the WT.

A few years ago there were Professionals like:
- LPR: had riders like Di Luca (ok, it's controversial but he was a more than serious Giro D'Italia contender) and Petacchi at their disposal
-Androni had Scarponi who fought for the final victory in the 2010 Giro finishing 4th
-BMC at the begining was a Professional
-Same for Cervelo
-Aqua&Sapone had Garzelli, capable of winning a MTT, the best climber jersey and a top10 spot at the Giro

Which professional has today riders capable to fight for victory in the biggest races? Only Fortuneo (Barguil), maybe

The level of the professionals has dropped and is continuing dropping: The only healthy professionals are the french ones (not all the french professionals) which are sure to ride the TdF (the biggest race) and all the other ASO races without having to race all the WT calendar. But it means that only 4-5 professionals have a reason to exist, all the other are practically slightly better continentals, the UCI should ask itself if this category has still a reason to exist.

Aqua Blue is already racing a lot in the World Tour, more than the vast majority of the other professionals, so their manager has probably not understood how the system works outside the WT if he pretend to be invited in the biggest races thanks to Denifl and Werbasse.
Their results this year have been very mediocre, if they want to go to the Tour/Vuelta/Giro they should hire a rider that the organizers would like to see.
EroicaStradeBianche

13 Apr 2018 20:48

Let's be fair, the strength of the ProContis has been hit in recent years by a couple of factors. Firstly, the UCI's points rule changes, because the problem they had was that the ProConti licences were a lot cheaper than a ProTour (as it was then) one, and so a team like Cervélo had the funding of a ProTour team, took a ProConti licence, spent the balance on riders, had a roster as strong as most ProTour teams, and had at least one genuine GT contender (Sastre, the reigning Tour winner at the time) and one genuine cobbled classics contender (Hushovd). They were able to get an invite to any ProTour race they wanted, not only locking off one of the wildcards but getting all the benefits of ProTour with none of the drawbacks (not having to do races they didn't want to, so saving money on flyaway races and choosing a calendar based on how competitive they could be). This made a mockery of the idea of the ProTour (that it would have all of the world's best), and the UCI wanted to prevent that happening again, so changed the rules to make it less attractive to come in as a ProConti team since at the time there were vanity projects like Leopard starting up as well.

BMC were going down the Fortuneo route and just happened to be at the right time - they had a big moneyed backer, and a pretty weak ProConti roster, but they got a big injection of cash just as a big name who had burnt a lot of bridges became available - Cuddles would have been a big draw anyway, but in the rainbow jersey it was even bigger. The thing with Cuddles was, because he'd been around for many years previously, because he'd got the reputation for being hard to work with, and because most of the best top-down teams had clear and obvious leaders at that point (Valverde, Contador, Armstrong, Basso) and it wasn't clear where Evans was going to land until his price went up, he was just about the only such rider that was going to be able to be picked up in that manner - it's not often you find a genuine GT contender in the rainbow jersey available in the market.

The other elephant in the room is much simpler: doping. Until Basso and Vino (thanks in the former case to the argument that he only 'intended to' dope, and in the latter case to his connections with team brass, there was the informal agreement among ProTour teams that returning dopers would serve a period of quarantine before they were able to come back to the top tier and so with Oil For Drugs, the Sella revelations, Operación Puerto and the 2008 CERA busts, there was a pretty steady stream of riders who weren't welcome at the top tier but were able to, when riding a somewhat reduced calendar as ProConti riders, be competitive, and because of the damage their reputations had suffered, would come comparatively cheap. Their riders may not have been the tip top names, but when they built their whole season around the one wildcard race - the Giro, the Tour, the Vuelta - they were capable of being highly competitive.

The combination of the end of the informal gentleman's agreement meaning people like Contador and Valverde step straight back to a WT team rather than fronting a modern day equivalent of Relax-GAM for a couple of years, and the length of time since a really big expansive drugs bust means that this source of name riders has been cut off to the ProConti ranks too.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

18 Apr 2018 19:06

It's official

The finish of LBL moves back to Liege in 2019. Where exactly still unknown.

Ans is out

I repeat

Ans is out
Kwibus wrote:So much questions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

18 Apr 2018 21:04

Red Rick wrote:It's official

Ans is out

I repeat

Ans is out

Amazing. And with the way the Ardennes have been raced so far, we might actually have a week of great racing again!
User avatar Valv.Piti

18 Apr 2018 21:12

Nice!
User avatar tobydawq

18 Apr 2018 21:27

Kwibus wrote:So much questions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

18 Apr 2018 21:31

Ans is out

I repeat

Ans is out

Honest question from someone who hasn't followed classics racing for *that* long - why is this such a good thing? I know Ans is just a bit of a suburb of Liège and that there have been at least two different finishes there recently. Thinking of the one-off cobbled street finish and the current uphill drag in Ans.
User avatar MikeTichondrius

Re: Re:

19 Apr 2018 04:04

MikeTichondrius wrote:

Ans is out

I repeat

Ans is out

Honest question from someone who hasn't followed classics racing for *that* long - why is this such a good thing? I know Ans is just a bit of a suburb of Liège and that there have been at least two different finishes there recently. Thinking of the one-off cobbled street finish and the current uphill drag in Ans.

It has been the same finish for many, many years, also in 2016 when they included the cobbled climb a couple of kilometres out.

Uphill finishes kill races because the puncheurs don't have to attack before the finish because they can rely on their skills in the finale. With a flat finish they have to force the selection earlier, which makes races more aggressive and entertaining.
User avatar tobydawq

19 Apr 2018 17:52

Vuelta a Castilla y Leon 2018 Start list

MOVISTAR TEAM
1 BARBERO Carlos
2 ROSON Jaime
3 BICO MATOS Nuno
4 CARRETERO Hector
5 CASTRILLO Jaime
6 FERNANDEZ Rubén
7 SÜTTERLIN Jasha

CAJA RURAL-SEGUROS RGA
11 MAS BONET Luis
12 SOTO MARTINEZ Nelson
13 SILVA Joaquim
14 ARANBURU DEBA Alex
15 REIS Rafael Ferreira
16 IRISARRI RINCON Jon
17 SERRANO Gonzalo

BURGOS BH
21 SIMON CASULLERAS Jordi
22 CABEDO Oscar
23 RUBIO HERNANDEZ Diego
24 MAMYKIN Matvei
25 LÓPEZ PARADA Daniel
26 GONZÁLEZ VELASCO Adrián
27 TORRES MUÍÑO Pablo

EUSKADI -MURIAS
31 SAMITIER SAMITIER Sergio
32 RODRIGUEZ RECHE Sergio
33 ABERASTURI IZAGA Jon
34 SÁEZ BENITO Hector
35 IRIZAR LASKURAIN Julen
36 SANZ UNZUE Enrique
37 PRADES REVERTE Eduard

MANZANA POSTOBON TEAM
41 ORJUELA GUTIERREZ Fernando
42 BOHORQUEZ SANCHEZ Hernando
43 VILLEGAS CARDONA Juan Pablo
44 VILELA Ricardo
45 DUARTE AREVALO Fabio
46 HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
47 GARCIA SOSA Jhojan Orlando

DELKO MARSEILLE PROVENCE KTM
51 SMUKULIS Gatis
52 FERNANDEZ Delio
53 MADRAZO Ángel
54 RODRIGUEZ John Anderson
55 MIHAYLOV Nikolay
56 FINETTO Mauro
57 MORENO BAZAN Javier

ISRAEL CYCLING ACADEMY
61 WILLIAMS Tyler
62 DEMPSTER Zakkari
63 AVILA Edwin
64 PERRY Benjamin
65 PLAZA MOLINA Ruben
66 RÄIM Mihkel Estonia
67 YECHEZKEL Aviv

RALLY CYCLING
71 ANDERSON Ryan
72 CARPENTER Robin
73 ELLSAY Nigel
74 JOYCE Colin
75 MAGNER Tyler
76 MCNULTY Brandon
77 ANTHONY Jesse

TEAM EUSKADI
81 GARCIA AMBROA Ricardo
82 LÓPEZ-COZAR Juan
83 MARTIN SANZ Gotzon
84 FERNÁNDEZ AYARZAGUENA Egoitz
85 JUARISTI ARRIETA Txomin
86 BUADES FERRIOL Marc
87 ALONSO FLORES Mikel

INTERPRO STRADALLI CYCLING
91 WHITEHOUSE Daniel
92 ETXABE LETURIA Jokin
93 VERMEULEN Alexey
94 HISHINUMA Yukinori
95 ROUSSEAU Jayson
96 HUDRY Florian

TEAM UKYO
101 PUJOL MUNOZ Oscar
102 PRADES Benjamín
103 ARAQUE Rodrigo
104 KREDER Raymond
105 DE MAAR Marc
106 HATANAKA Yusuke
107 YOKOTSUKA Kohei

EFAPEL
111 MESTRE Daniel
112 JURADO RODRIGUEZ Marcos
113 PAULINHO Sergio Miguel Moreira
114 SILVA Bruno
115 ARROYO DURAN David
116 CASIMIRO Henrique
117 DEL PINO CORROCHANO Jesus

LIBERTY SEGUROS – CARGLASS
121 MARTINGIL César
122 CRISPIM André
123 GONÇALVES Gaspar
124 FERNANDES Venceslau
125 LOURENCO Rafael
126 LOPES Pedro José
127 CARVALHO André

SPORTING TAVIRA
131 NOCENTINI Rinaldo
132 TOFFALI Nicola
133 FIGUEIREDO Federico
134 TRUEBAAlvaro
135 PEREIRA Válter
136 GRIGORIEV Alexander
137 GONZALEZ Mario

W52/FC PORTO
141 CESAR VELOSO Gustavo
142 ALARCON GARCIA Raul
143 CARVALHO Antonio
144 RODRIGUES Joao
145 SÁNCHEZ REBOLLIDO Ángel
146 CALDEIRA Samuel José Rodrigues
147 FERREIRA Tiago

MEDELLIN
151 PAREDES César Nicolas
152 ROLDAN Weimar Alfonso
153 OYOLA Robigzon
154 MENDOZA CARDONA Omar Alberto
155 CHALAPUD GOMEZ Robinson Eduardo
156 MONTOYA GIRALDO Cristian
157 CAICEDO CEPEDA Jonathan Klever

LOKOSPHINX
161 SOKOLOV Dmitry
162 SAMOLENKOV Artem
163 STRAKHOV Dmitrii
164 EVTUSHENKO Alexander
166 SVESHNIKOV Kirill
167 VDOVIN Alexander

INTEJA DOMINICAN CYCLING TEAM
171 MANCEBO Francisco
172 TORRES Albert
173 RUBIO Jesús Alberto
174 MILAN Diego
175 SARABIA DIAZ Ignacio
176 CUETO MONTERO Juan José
177 ELORZA Mikel
I was him
User avatar Zama_Olyas

Re: General News Thread

19 Apr 2018 17:53

1st stage
2nd stage
3rd stage
I was him
User avatar Zama_Olyas

19 Apr 2018 20:45

Okay, this is more of a question than news - can't be bothered trying to locate the old random questions thread - but... has Awet Gebremedhin always been Swedish? Coz I could've sworn that when ICA announced that they'd signed him he was Eritrean?

Saw it in the results list on PCS, and I honestly thought they'd made some wacky mistake.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

19 Apr 2018 22:23

RedheadDane wrote:Okay, this is more of a question than news - can't be bothered trying to locate the old random questions thread - but... has Awet Gebremedhin always been Swedish? Coz I could've sworn that when ICA announced that they'd signed him he was Eritrean?

Saw it in the results list on PCS, and I honestly thought they'd made some wacky mistake.

He was born in Eritrea, however, in 2015 he fled to Sweden to seek asylum. There he tried to continue his professional carreer, so I assume he is racing with a Swedish license. Probably also has to do with Eritreans not being allowed to leave their country without special permission (as a refugee he didn't have one of course).

Here's an article about his story:
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/the-refugee-who-could-ride-the-giro-ditalia-awet-gebremedhins-extraordinary-path-into-professional-cycling-364768
Sestriere

Re:

19 Apr 2018 23:54

Zama_Olyas wrote:Vuelta a Castilla y Leon 2018 Start list

MOVISTAR TEAM
1 BARBERO Carlos
2 ROSON Jaime
3 BICO MATOS Nuno
4 CARRETERO Hector
5 CASTRILLO Jaime
6 FERNANDEZ Rubén
7 SÜTTERLIN Jasha

Funny tweet today from Movistar's rider Carlos Barbero. He said in his tweet that he included Fernandez in that they day they didn't want to come has come. They're the oldest riders on the Movistar team for this race. LOL What makes this even funnier is the conversation between Barbero and Amador who is a little order asking him if that makes him an old man.

As for who the race leader is, I'm not sure although I'm going with either Barbero, Fernandez or Roson or a combination of those three riders.
User avatar Koronin

Previous

Return to Professional road racing