Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

26 Oct 2009 20:36

Angliru wrote:The only way Frank could have won the Tour was if Evans completely blew up on Alpe D'Huez, which he didn't and/or crashed out during the final ITT, which he didn't. Frank's ITT was so horrible he dropped about 4 places in the GC so of course this is just little brother giving his big bro some dapp that is clearly not based in reality.

It seems that Andy's just angry because his beloved brother wasn't able to win the Tour, while Sastre was. Given that their relationship with Sastre wasn't, erm, good, then he's dreaming with an impossible win. Meh, nepotism at its highest form.

Bala Verde wrote:Hoogerland is going to train in Spain in a couple of weeks to lay the basis for success in the classics.

Come Johnny, Spain is such a wonderful place to train, and it seems that it works fine to train here... :rolleyes:
Cogombre

26 Oct 2009 21:06

Sticky? Isn't the entire Professional Road Cycling forum a "general news" section already?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

26 Oct 2009 21:15

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Sticky? Isn't the entire Professional Road Cycling forum a "general news" section already?

Oh Alpe, you always come into these threads acting all sensible. :p
User avatar Cartesian Centaur

26 Oct 2009 21:39

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Sticky? Isn't the entire Professional Road Cycling forum a "general news" section already?

As of late you have such a moderating influence on this forum ;)
User avatar Bala Verde

26 Oct 2009 21:55

i disagree with stickying this personally, its already three pages, by november its going to be 30 pages, by december 150 pages and will be a mire of ramblings and stupidity..

while i agree that we dont need a seperate thread everytime contador blows his knows, or every time lance does a ****, im not sure that a general thread wont become a terribly drawn out, long winded, rambling assortment of oddness...

a generall news thread is interesting, as long as it is used it will be on the front page anyway...

stickies annoy me most of the time..
dimspace

26 Oct 2009 21:56

as for hooverland going to spain.. just confirms my already low opinion of him.... he will be applying for dual citizenship next so he can receive the same government protection offered to the rest of them..
dimspace

26 Oct 2009 23:38

I don't think it should necessarily be stickied - whoever said that one page one (thehog?) was being sarcastic because of the accidental mis-spelling.

I just made it because I'm sick of seeing repeated threads about Contador/Shack/Astana/LA everytime they do something small or inconsequential. It saves having to make a new thread everytime anything slightly notable happens anyway.

Also, there a certainly a lot more threads worthy of being stickied than the route announcement of a 2.HC race :p
inthedrops.net

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy

26 Oct 2009 23:47

i think the much requested lance/contador/astana/shack section would solve a lot of problems...

although there would be naff all threads in the pro cycling section..
dimspace

26 Oct 2009 23:56

dimspace wrote:i think the much requested lance/contador/astana/shack section would solve a lot of problems...

although there would be naff all threads in the pro cycling section..

Yes, but then we run into the trouble about only being able to discuss doping in the clinic, and not in the new Lance/AC/Astana/Shack section.

Oh wait, I see what you are doing proposing this new section. You are secretly a Lance fanboy and want to make it so nobody can ever discuss LA and doping in the same thread. Clever! :D
Beech Mtn

26 Oct 2009 23:58

Beech Mtn wrote:Yes, but then we run into the trouble about only being able to discuss doping in the clinic, and not in the new Lance/AC/Astana/Shack section.

Oh wait, I see what you are doing proposing this new section. You are secretly a Lance fanboy and want to make it so nobody can ever discuss LA and doping in the same thread. Clever! :D

oh no, the lance etc section should be anything goes as lnog as its about lance..

that would leave the clinic fairly empty as well..

and no, im secretly an alien that has landed on earth to learn about cycling, ive come here and all i know so far is that there are three people called lance and alberto and johaan who win all the races and drug everyone...
dimspace

27 Oct 2009 00:04

dimspace wrote:oh no, the lance etc section should be anything goes as lnog as its about lance..

and no, im secretly an alien that has landed on earth to learn about cycling, ive come here and all i know so far is that there are three people called lance and alberto and johaan who win all the races and drug everyone...

Cool, then you know as much about cycling as most Americans, except for the part about the drugs.
Beech Mtn

27 Oct 2009 00:53

[quote="dimspace"]oh no, the lance etc section should be anything goes as lnog as its about lance..

and no, im secretly an alien that has landed on earth to learn about cycling, ive come here and all i know so far is that there are three people called lance and alberto and johaan who win all the races and drug everyone...[/QUOT

Well, Wiggo popped out of nowhere... How old is he, 30?
peloton

27 Oct 2009 01:03

Beech Mtn wrote:Cool, then you know as much about cycling as most Americans, except for the part about the drugs.

Well, dim is British.
So Wiggo's sudden GT hunt and climbing skills are a natural thing for a trackie....
:rolleyes:
peloton

27 Oct 2009 01:18

peloton wrote:Well, dim is British.
So Wiggo's sudden GT hunt and climbing skills are a natural thing for a trackie....
:rolleyes:

but im an alien.. i can only base my cycling knowledge on what i read on this forum...

who is this wiggo you speak of? He cycles too? I thought it was just mr pharmstrong and alberto? I read also of this uniballer chap, but im not sure who he is.. :/
dimspace

27 Oct 2009 02:22

Bala Verde wrote:Hoogerland lashes out at RAB. He rode 2 seasons for RAB as a junior and in 2001, aged 18, he was forced to leave even after his RvV win. In 2001 a doping control revealed a suspicious epi/test ratio, for which he now has a medical attest (it was proven that he has naturally high levels)

Hoogerland is going to train in Spain in a couple of weeks to lay the basis for success in the classics.

abstract and quotes in Dutch

I pity professional cyclists - well all of them except one.

Their lives are just sooo insecure, every moment is crucial, they never seem to know who has their back, the team seems like they have no confidence in long term backing, I am sure that top level athletes don't eagerly pollute their bodies with God-only-knows cocktail performance enhancers. And then they do what they think is expected and then end up feeling like $10 vvhore. The whole culture seems to only be able to exist at the very margins of stability.

I wouldn't wish a career in cycling on my worst enemy.

<Goodbye Lance./>
ggusta

27 Oct 2009 04:12

dimspace wrote:as for hooverland going to spain.. just confirms my already low opinion of him.... he will be applying for dual citizenship next so he can receive the same government protection offered to the rest of them..

This is the thing that I hate about cycling, a pro cyclist goes somewhere to train, and it is instantly assumed that he is up to no good. So where on earth is he meant to go for his training camp? I don't know, somewhere the weather is probably the best at this time of the year. If he is cheating, fair enough, but you know, what if he is actually putting in the hard yards every day? Nah impossible, he is there to eat paella and visit Fuentes.

And if you are going to give **** to somebody, get his ****ing name right. I'm no spelling nazi BTW, far from it.
User avatar craig1985

27 Oct 2009 04:14

The 'v' and 'g' keys are quite close together to be fair..
inthedrops.net

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy

27 Oct 2009 09:17

craig1985 wrote:And if you are going to give **** to somebody, get his ****ing name right. I'm no spelling nazi BTW, far from it.

Call me jaded, but I'd just assumed that was supposed to be a nickname implying his alleged tendencies to hoover up vast quantities of....whatever.
User avatar Cartesian Centaur

27 Oct 2009 10:26

luckyboy wrote:The 'v' and 'g' keys are quite close together to be fair..

its ok.. it was intentional...
dimspace

27 Oct 2009 10:48

dimspace wrote:

LOL.

Although for me it's more the evil emperor johaan and darth Lance vs Alberto skywalker. Two trying to enslave all pro cycling, the other fighting back the forces of darkness against all odds.
progressor

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing