Log in:  

Register

::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~::::

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

24 Sep 2012 15:15

Barracuda wrote:Negative on the fixie ....... although with winter just passed sometimes feels like im on one ...... beautiful looking wheel none the less !


That's ok, I hold disdain for most roadies, so we're in the same boat. :D
[SIZE="2"]<><><>The user formerly known as RDV4ROUBAIX<><><>[/SIZE]
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Junior Member
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: PDX

24 Sep 2012 15:37

JayKosta wrote:Any guidelines on clincher training tire reliability & durability for a 170 pound rider?
For example, after people have tried 23/25/28 mm tires, is there a tire weight that they end-up buying & using?
I'm currently riding wire bead 28mm Conti (old Weinmann A124 rims), and need to replace the tires soon.

It seems that new bike often come with some flavor of 23mm tires, but what are people happy with as replacements.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA


New version of Conti Grand prix is the ba***** child of 4000s and gatorskin, black chilli rubber on training carcass(and is available in wired or folding @28mm i believe)
[SIZE="4"]Proud SKY fanboy since 22/08/2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]"You have no idea the power of the dark side of the Force"[/SIZE]
User avatar User Guide
Junior Member
 
Posts: 703
Joined: 21 May 2010 15:31
Location: not there,here

24 Sep 2012 15:41

ANyone with longish term use of H+son rims am real interested.
Also for those wondering about P+K stands had my hands on one the other week.
Did have a major drawback that I saw.Its just too freakin nice, end up sitting and staring rather than building:D But then I look at an SR-71A blackbird the same way people look at art:p
[SIZE="4"]Proud SKY fanboy since 22/08/2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]"You have no idea the power of the dark side of the Force"[/SIZE]
User avatar User Guide
Junior Member
 
Posts: 703
Joined: 21 May 2010 15:31
Location: not there,here

25 Sep 2012 13:14

User Guide wrote:New version of Conti Grand prix is the ba***** child of 4000s and gatorskin, black chilli rubber on training carcass(and is available in wired or folding @28mm i believe)


Actually a rebranded Ultra Race and hard to find anything but 23c for a while..now distributor has 25s.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,784
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

25 Sep 2012 14:48

Bustedknuckle wrote:Actually a rebranded Ultra Race and hard to find anything but 23c for a while..now distributor has 25s.


Thats not the case in the UK from what ive been told.However im not aware of situation in the USA,I had asumed would be standard across every market.The ultra race never had black chilli rubber here that I know of, the new Grand prix does.
[SIZE="4"]Proud SKY fanboy since 22/08/2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]"You have no idea the power of the dark side of the Force"[/SIZE]
User avatar User Guide
Junior Member
 
Posts: 703
Joined: 21 May 2010 15:31
Location: not there,here

25 Sep 2012 18:08

User Guide wrote:Thats not the case in the UK from what ive been told.However im not aware of situation in the USA,I had asumed would be standard across every market.The ultra race never had black chilli rubber here that I know of, the new Grand prix does.


Can't see anything matching your description on the Conti UK website. The black GP does have Black Chilli but no Gatorskin.

Conti's marketing is sadly not up to their tyres performance. They've been promising since April that the Sprinter Gatorskin 25 tubs would be available - first in June, then July then sometime in September and they still haven't appeared. I've already worn through a set of Vittoria Pave's waiting for them to pull their finger out of their Teutonic back sides. :confused:
LugHugger
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,309
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 11:51

26 Sep 2012 18:34

LugHugger wrote:Can't see anything matching your description on the Conti UK website. The black GP does have Black Chilli but no Gatorskin.

Conti's marketing is sadly not up to their tyres performance. They've been promising since April that the Sprinter Gatorskin 25 tubs would be available - first in June, then July then sometime in September and they still haven't appeared. I've already worn through a set of Vittoria Pave's waiting for them to pull their finger out of their Teutonic back sides. :confused:


Indeed,just poly-x on GP was told otherwise,some media ive seen too, wonder whats up with delays an miscommunications?:(
[SIZE="4"]Proud SKY fanboy since 22/08/2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]"You have no idea the power of the dark side of the Force"[/SIZE]
User avatar User Guide
Junior Member
 
Posts: 703
Joined: 21 May 2010 15:31
Location: not there,here

New Wheels

29 Oct 2012 06:20

Building a set of wheels, 28h, 3x all round, Campag Record hubs with Velocity Escape rims. These wheels are being used on an 11speed system. To get more clearance with the rear derailleur and the spokes, when in the biggest cog, I plan to make the spokes on the drive side all 'heads out'.
Can anyone see any associated issues I may have doing this.
User avatar Fiemme
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: 01 Sep 2011 09:31
Location: Sydney, Australia

29 Oct 2012 13:05

Fiemme wrote:Building a set of wheels, 28h, 3x all round, Campag Record hubs with Velocity Escape rims. These wheels are being used on an 11speed system. To get more clearance with the rear derailleur and the spokes, when in the biggest cog, I plan to make the spokes on the drive side all 'heads out'.
Can anyone see any associated issues I may have doing this.


I would do 3x, heads out on the rear but 2 cross front. Heads out on the pulling spoke because so much of the spoke overlays the hub flange on 3 cross and 28h. Not because of clearance in the lowest gear.

I would also highly recommend using either Sapim Poly-x nipples or DT Prolock nipps in brass....

AND if you not a light weight rider, tie and solder at least the LH rear isn't a bad idea.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,784
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

29 Oct 2012 20:10

Bustedknuckle wrote:I would do 3x, heads out on the rear but 2 cross front. Heads out on the pulling spoke because so much of the spoke overlays the hub flange on 3 cross and 28h. Not because of clearance in the lowest gear.

I would also highly recommend using either Sapim Poly-x nipples or DT Prolock nipps in brass....

AND if you not a light weight rider, tie and solder at least the LH rear isn't a bad idea.


I currently have 32h, 3x, Nemesis rims and Campag record Hubs (10speed) and when i'm out of the saddle on the biggest cog and big ring I occasionally hear a ping, (generally under high load) which i'm assuming is the rear derailleur just touching the spokes due to movement in the wheel. This ping only occurs on the down stroke of the left crank arm. I just figured if I made all of the spoke heads outwards on the flange this would place the actual spokes a few extra millimetres away from the derailleur.
Could I be wrong that the ping is coming from the rear derailleur? When I have the bike in the stand there seems to be about 2-3mm of clearance between the derailleur and the spokes. Should or could there be that much movement in the wheel? I'm 6'2 and weigh 90kg.

I have also just realised that Campag do not do a 28h hub anymore so I may look at the Hope Pro3 Mono Hub in 28h.
User avatar Fiemme
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: 01 Sep 2011 09:31
Location: Sydney, Australia

30 Oct 2012 13:10

Fiemme wrote:I currently have 32h, 3x, Nemesis rims and Campag record Hubs (10speed) and when i'm out of the saddle on the biggest cog and big ring I occasionally hear a ping, (generally under high load) which i'm assuming is the rear derailleur just touching the spokes due to movement in the wheel. This ping only occurs on the down stroke of the left crank arm. I just figured if I made all of the spoke heads outwards on the flange this would place the actual spokes a few extra millimetres away from the derailleur.
Could I be wrong that the ping is coming from the rear derailleur? When I have the bike in the stand there seems to be about 2-3mm of clearance between the derailleur and the spokes. Should or could there be that much movement in the wheel? I'm 6'2 and weigh 90kg.

I have also just realised that Campag do not do a 28h hub anymore so I may look at the Hope Pro3 Mono Hub in 28h.


I'd say that perhaps the spokes are undertensioned. 2-3mm is about normal.

OR a bit of lindseed oil between the nipples and eyelets.

Just do 32h hubs unless you must use the rims.

90kg=198 pounds 32h at least. 28 hole at least in the rear, is too little for you, IMHO. PARTICULARLY for Escape rims..they are pretty light mate.

4 spokes weigh about 30 grams but a 32h is much stronger than a 28h...
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,784
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

30 Oct 2012 20:27

Bustedknuckle wrote:I'd say that perhaps the spokes are undertensioned. 2-3mm is about normal.

OR a bit of lindseed oil between the nipples and eyelets.

Just do 32h hubs unless you must use the rims.

90kg=198 pounds 32h at least. 28 hole at least in the rear, is too little for you, IMHO. PARTICULARLY for Escape rims..they are pretty light mate.

4 spokes weigh about 30 grams but a 32h is much stronger than a 28h...


I think you're right 30grams is not worth the effort. I'll stick with the 32h.
Thanks for the advice.
User avatar Fiemme
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: 01 Sep 2011 09:31
Location: Sydney, Australia

31 Oct 2012 03:57

Fiemme wrote:Building a set of wheels, ....... Campag Record hubs with Velocity Escape rims.



Fiemme, why not Ambrosio F20 instead of Velocity Escape? It's a better rim.
[SIZE="2"]<><><>The user formerly known as RDV4ROUBAIX<><><>[/SIZE]
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Junior Member
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: PDX

31 Oct 2012 08:38

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:Fiemme, why not Ambrosio F20 instead of Velocity Escape? It's a better rim.


I had some major issues when I purchased the Ambrosio Nemesis rims I have, I had to go direct to an Italian supplier as no-one in Australia stocked them. It was going to cost close to AUD$500 a pair for an Australian Importer to get them for me. I ended getting them landed for about half that going direct to Italy. But had issues with the Italian supplier as it took him four weeks to get them picked up by a courier after I had paid for them. Also The Escapes are quite cheap as they are old stock due to Velocity taking the manufacturing back to the USA. I think its the last of the stock that they manufactured here in Australia.

It seems that not many people in Australia use tubulars and Velocity Australia have trouble moving them. Advantage for me as they are offering them at a price to good to refuse.

BK.
I'll try and add more tension to the spokes that are causing the rear derailleur to touch when under high load. I'll let you know how things go.
User avatar Fiemme
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: 01 Sep 2011 09:31
Location: Sydney, Australia

31 Oct 2012 22:28

Bustedknuckle wrote:90kg=198 pounds 32h at least. 28 hole at least in the rear, is too little for you, IMHO. PARTICULARLY for Escape rims..they are pretty light mate.

4 spokes weigh about 30 grams but a 32h is much stronger than a 28h...


Just out of interest what would you recommend for rider of 78-79kg for an everyday wheelset? IS 28 still too low? I'm think of doing a Dura Ace hub Hed C2 rim build.

Thanks.
Lo Sceriffo - To call him the Fabian Cancellara of his day would be more accurate when Fabian wins yet another Paris-Roubaix, a few more classics, the World Championship road race, a Grand Tour and continues to kick @rse for another five years. - Velominati
User avatar M Sport
Junior Member
 
Posts: 658
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 11:32
Location: Australia

01 Nov 2012 01:34

M Sport wrote:Just out of interest what would you recommend for rider of 78-79kg for an everyday wheelset? IS 28 still too low? I'm think of doing a Dura Ace hub Hed C2 rim build.

Thanks.


We're in the same weight class and I ride 28h wheels almost every day on lighter rims. The Hed C2 rim is heavier than a Velocity A23 or an H Plus Son Archetype, you will have no problems with that set up.
[SIZE="2"]<><><>The user formerly known as RDV4ROUBAIX<><><>[/SIZE]
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Junior Member
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: PDX

01 Nov 2012 12:44

M Sport wrote:Just out of interest what would you recommend for rider of 78-79kg for an everyday wheelset? IS 28 still too low? I'm think of doing a Dura Ace hub Hed C2 rim build.

Thanks.


175 or so pounds. With the right rim, you could do 28 rear. I'd say try to use a OC rear tho. Velocity A23 or DT 440..BUT 'everyday' wheelset, just do 32h..28 grams more mean nada in terms of weight, but much stronger than a 28h, all else being equal.

The gent posting above, I know him, BTW, differ in our wheelbuilding philosophy a bit. I am more conservative and see no reason to use a 28h for somebody 175 pounds nor a 32h for somebody my weight, .1 offa ton.

I'm a pretty 'light' rider in terms of technique, I think. I don't break things. I could use 32h without problem but I used to work for a 150 pound guy who broke wheels left and right..had NO cycling sense whatsoever. Finally built a 36h, CXP-33, tied and soldered..and they finally held up.

28 grams more but undoubtedly a stronger wheel(Everyday wheel!)-32 instead of 28, 36 instead of 32. Why NOT use 4 more spokes??
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,784
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

02 Nov 2012 04:38

Bustedknuckle wrote:175 or so pounds. With the right rim, you could do 28 rear. I'd say try to use a OC rear tho. Velocity A23 or DT 440..BUT 'everyday' wheelset, just do 32h..28 grams more mean nada in terms of weight, but much stronger than a 28h, all else being equal.

The gent posting above, I know him, BTW, differ in our wheelbuilding philosophy a bit. I am more conservative and see no reason to use a 28h for somebody 175 pounds nor a 32h for somebody my weight, .1 offa ton.

I'm a pretty 'light' rider in terms of technique, I think. I don't break things. I could use 32h without problem but I used to work for a 150 pound guy who broke wheels left and right..had NO cycling sense whatsoever. Finally built a 36h, CXP-33, tied and soldered..and they finally held up.

28 grams more but undoubtedly a stronger wheel(Everyday wheel!)-32 instead of 28, 36 instead of 32. Why NOT use 4 more spokes??


Funny you say you're conservative, because I always thought I was amongst our peers. :D You know recently I had a late season rash of half dozen or so heavyweights that wanted to have low spoke count race spec wheels built for everyday use. I hit the reject button on all of them. The difference here and always is the sum of the parts. A HED C2 clincher is 470g at 25mm deep, makes for a really stout build, more robust than an A23, even an Archetype. No reason M Sport should stay away from 28 hole with the set up he was wondering about, unless he's a masher and hard on equipment.
[SIZE="2"]<><><>The user formerly known as RDV4ROUBAIX<><><>[/SIZE]
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Junior Member
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: PDX

02 Nov 2012 12:55

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:Funny you say you're conservative, because I always thought I was amongst our peers. :D You know recently I had a late season rash of half dozen or so heavyweights that wanted to have low spoke count race spec wheels built for everyday use. I hit the reject button on all of them. The difference here and always is the sum of the parts. A HED C2 clincher is 470g at 25mm deep, makes for a really stout build, more robust than an A23, even an Archetype. No reason M Sport should stay away from 28 hole with the set up he was wondering about, unless he's a masher and hard on equipment.


'Unless', I guess. Since I don't know him, like a lot of people that come into the store, I always take the conservative approach.

Kinda like the french bridge builder, built many fine bridges...but s__cked one C__k, now known as the french C__k S__cker...

Only takes one crappy designed wheel build to sully one's reputation.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,784
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

02 Nov 2012 19:26

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:We're in the same weight class and I ride 28h wheels almost every day on lighter rims. The Hed C2 rim is heavier than a Velocity A23 or an H Plus Son Archetype, you will have no problems with that set up.


Nice to hear you like the Hed C2 rims. I've had my wheels for 2 years now and they're super stout and I've done some not good things to them.
richwagmn
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,837
Joined: 18 Jun 2009 03:10
Location: Minnesota

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Back to top