Register

Hockey

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

26 Apr 2011 18:45

Canucks are like a fish on a wet slab......choke choke choke. I don't know why the can't get through round 1. Detroit looked pretty ominous against not stunning opposition and Nashville are playing some damn good grinding hockey. In the east hmmm, Boston and Tampa most likely to join the Caps in round two Buffalo & Philly flip a coin Buffalo hopefully!!
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat

26 Apr 2011 18:49

Boston v montreal is on first tonight I think I will watch this before the canucks, I heard these games have been quite good, I'll be supporting the canadians though :S
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

26 Apr 2011 18:52

was at Rangers-Caps game 4. The air got let out of MSG as the Ranger defense stopped defending. Game 5 was a solo event as they got creamed. The goal they did get was with an empty net offense. Shame that the NHL would not let the Rangers have an additional forward all the time, the series long power play they needed
fatandfast

26 Apr 2011 19:00

Earlier someone asked if there was a clinic section on hockey forums.

No, there isn't. Fans of North American pro sports have their heads in the sand when it comes to doping. But that's in large part due to strong player unions and complicity amongst team owners.

Funny, not long ago I was listening to a sports radio call-in show in Canada (home of Ben Johnson) that asked folks if they thought athletes like Usain Bolt were clean.

Everyone who called in said yes.
the delgados

26 Apr 2011 20:44

I haven't read the entire thread, but to me hockey has become as exciting as it was in my youth. I'm not entirely sure what rule changes were made, but seeing teams unable to sit on leads has really increased the action and made games closer.

There's also a lot of parity in hockey, which is great to see. Plus all of these first round match-ups except Washington--NYR have been at least close.

Compared to this, the NBA sucks.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

27 Apr 2011 19:19

The most relevant rule changes to the improved pace of the game were eliminating the red line, which allowed a pass to go directly from blue line to blue line; cracking down on interference calls that prevented players from building speed; and making a team that iced the puck pay a penalty by keeping the same tired players on the ice for the ensuing face-off in their zone.

Now you see players leave their defensive zone sooner to catch a stretch pass, maintain speed throughout the neutral zone, and you don't see teams trapped in their own end just shoot the puck down the ice without penalty.

HUGE monkey off the Canucks back, they really dominated the last two games despite the close results. Now can they adjust to the toughness and tight checking of the Predators?
User avatar pedaling squares

27 Apr 2011 19:39

Great work from the canucks I thought they would fall apart completely in overtime especially as they got a penalty soon after the restart, good goal to win it(even if chicago helped), I didn't watch nashville much this season, the time I did detroit beat em quite easily so I think the canucks will win of course.. No idea how good the sharks or red wings are this season, I know they are usually good every season but I think maybe they are both not at their bests so the canucks can be best of the west I think. or they could easily lose v nashville :S
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

27 Apr 2011 19:41

Detroit doesn't have the depth of years past, but they have whatever it is that champions have that makes them so hard to kill. They will be tough.

27 Apr 2011 20:02

Nashville's gonna make it a tough one for the Canucks, I hope the Preds win because that's my home team!!!
User avatar jobiwan

27 Apr 2011 20:40

Great analysis Squares. The rule changes definitely worked for the better, way better.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

27 Apr 2011 23:23

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Great analysis Squares. The rule changes definitely worked for the better, way better.

I think the shootouts after the overtime along with all the rule changes have brought in a lot of new fans.

I do however like the fact that playoff games don't end in a shootout. Having them in the regular season is a good place for them.

As for this years playoffs, if they stay this good, we're in for a great May/June!
User avatar jobiwan

28 Apr 2011 19:41

Okay, after an awesome first round, we're finally down to eight teams. Who does everyone like?

Vancouver (1) vs. Nashville (5)

Detroit (3) vs. San Jose (2)

Washington (1) vs. Tampa Bay (5)

Boston (3) vs. Philadelphia (2)
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

28 Apr 2011 20:47

I think vancouver will in in 5 games, I think the win in extra time v chicago will help them a lot although it will have tired them out so they might lose tonight :S.. I guess detroit to win over 7 games although I don't know much about san jose.

I simulated these games on nhl 11 and it s not good for the canucks.... nashville win the series 4-2...... detroit beat san jose 4-1 and nashville beat the red wings 4-3..... in the east tampa bay win 4-2 v washington and boston win 4-1 v phillidelphia. Boston then win the east 4-3. Boston also win the final 4-2. I think I might bet a pound on all this happening, surely I would get good odds.
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

28 Apr 2011 20:53

Oh man, these are hard to call.

Vancouver over Nashville
Better top talent and more depth will overcome Nashville's grit and toughness.

Detroit over San Jose
Both have talent and great systems, I'm picking the team that knows how to win.

Washington over Tampa Bay
I think the Capitals have finally discovered what it takes to win in the post-season. But do they have the goaltending?

Philadelphia over Boston
I've hated both of these teams since I was 7. Boston's special teams are in the toilet and their top line isn't scoring. But Philly also has big ? between the pipes.

And of course I could easily go 0 for 4 here!

29 Apr 2011 02:23

jobiwan wrote:Nashville's gonna make it a tough one for the Canucks, I hope the Preds win because that's my home team!!!

Well we're underway. I won't say good luck, gotta cheer for the home team, but I do hope we get to enjoy a long series. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we do. Damn that Pekka Rinne is a heck of a goalie.

29 Apr 2011 14:28

pedaling squares wrote:Oh man, these are hard to call.

Vancouver over Nashville

Detroit over San Jose

I think the Capitals have finally discovered what it takes to win in the post-season. But do they have the goaltending?

Philadelphia over Boston
I've hated both of these teams since I was 7. Boston's special teams are in the toilet and their top line isn't scoring. But Philly also has big ? between the pipes.

I gotta agree totally with these pics and reasons! The Philly - Boston series is a tough one for me as well...I hate both teams...but agree, Philly will win...unless their goalie situation goes completely south...lol!

I am rooting for Vancouver for the Stanley Cup though. I am a Canes fan, and since they are out I have thrown my hat in with the Canucs!
User avatar TRDean

29 Apr 2011 16:26

pedaling squares wrote:Oh man, these are hard to call.

Vancouver over Nashville

Detroit over San Jose

Philadelphia over Boston

I like those picks. Especially the Canucks, who I thought were easily going to down the Blackhawks after they got up 3-0 in that series. But they managed to make it scary and pull out an OT win the finale.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

30 Apr 2011 14:02

on3m@n@rmy wrote:I like those picks. Especially the Canucks, who I thought were easily going to down the Blackhawks after they got up 3-0 in that series. But they managed to make it scary and pull out an OT win the finale.

...an amazing series...may by the end of these playoffs be seen as the series that should have been the finale...

Cheers

blutto
blutto

30 Apr 2011 23:54

Great name there, Icebreaker. Must be a true hockey fan.

I don't want Detroit either. But don't know if SJS have enough to upend them.

Meanwhile, the Flyers goal collapsed early, which answers that question. They're going to have to bounce back hard in game 2 or the fat lady may soon sing.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

01 May 2011 17:00

Typical Roberto Luongo... he stopped all the difficult shots but took his eye and mind off the puck for one second. They could/should have gone to Nashville with a 2-0 lead and with 0 goals Nashville would have had some doubts in their minds. Now it's anyone's series. I guess that's better for we fans though. Kesler & Burrows are killing the Predators, if the Sedin line can roll Nashville is in trouble. I know I already said this but, damn that Pekka Rinne is a good 'tender. Huge too, like 6'5" or something.

PreviousNext

Return to General