Register

Your local weather

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

07 Aug 2018 21:12

Robert5091 wrote:So after the hottest dryest May on record, just in time for holidays to begin, the weather turns autumnal. A good time to sell last minute holidays around the Med!

That autumnal weather doesn't seem to have lasted long, what with all the issues you guys have been having.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

07 Aug 2018 21:22

RedheadDane wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:So after the hottest dryest May on record, just in time for holidays to begin, the weather turns autumnal. A good time to sell last minute holidays around the Med!

That autumnal weather doesn't seem to have lasted long, what with all the issues you guys have been having.

Yeah, that was a little joke played on us by the Weather Gods (not to be confused with the Weather Girls ...)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

08 Aug 2018 20:08

Mid-90s here in western Oregon on and off for the past two weeks - so far we've been lucky, the haze from all the wildfires hasn't hit us too much yet. But it's a-coming...

This heat is ridiculous, it hasn't rained here in weeks! (Ah well, at least the sun and heat are good for the tomato plants, I should have a respectable crop this year. Gotta look at the positives...)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

09 Sep 2018 20:32

It appears Hurricane Florence is headed for us. Landfall is currently expected a bit south of where I live.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

11 Sep 2018 06:20

Koronin wrote:It appears Hurricane Florence is headed for us. Landfall is currently expected a bit south of where I live.

You might want to stock up on some scented candles - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-10/add-potential-coal-ash-spills-to-hurricane-florence-s-threats?srnd=premium-europe
From the livestock industry, one environmental impact from the storm could be from the lagoons, or lined earthen pits, that hold treated manure. They are commonly used to manage swine waste.

The waste is held in lagoons because it’s generally considered a safe way to store the manure before it’s used to aid crops.

More than 10 billion pounds of wet animal waste is produced annually in the state (NC), according to a June 2016 report by the group, which has monitored the impact of past storms. North Carolina is the top U.S. turkey producer, ranks third for chicken and is home to more hogs than any state other than Iowa, government data show.

“This increasingly severe, potentially unprecedented storm is hurdling to the epicenter of animal agriculture in North Carolina,” said Will Hendrick, a staff attorney and manager for a water campaign in the state for the Waterkeeper Alliance. “Because waste is managed using archaic practices, it presents a significant threat to water quality, primarily through run off and/or breach or inundation of hog lagoons.”
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

11 Sep 2018 21:32

Koronin wrote:It appears Hurricane Florence is headed for us. Landfall is currently expected a bit south of where I live.
I take it you've already evacuated?

Keep us (or at least me, though we don't know each other at all) posted!

12 Sep 2018 04:15

Tricycle Rider wrote:
I take it you've already evacuated?

Keep us (or at least me, though we don't know each other at all) posted!

Not yet. Thursday. We're headed to Charlotte. Charlotte is likely to be impacted, but by the time it gets there it'll be something they've dealt with before and we've been through when we lived there. Had to find a hotel that is pet friendly. We have 3 cats and won't leave them. We still have some stuff to do before we can leave to secure things outside and then pack and make sure we've got everything we specifically need.

Good news on the hurricane front is that it now appears it'll hit at a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4 (always good news) and hit at low tide instead of high tide. Those two things will cut down on the damage. Hopefully won't have to be gone for too long.
User avatar Koronin

12 Sep 2018 14:17

Koronin wrote:
Not yet. Thursday. We're headed to Charlotte. Charlotte is likely to be impacted, but by the time it gets there it'll be something they've dealt with before and we've been through when we lived there. Had to find a hotel that is pet friendly. We have 3 cats and won't leave them. We still have some stuff to do before we can leave to secure things outside and then pack and make sure we've got everything we specifically need.

Good news on the hurricane front is that it now appears it'll hit at a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4 (always good news) and hit at low tide instead of high tide. Those two things will cut down on the damage. Hopefully won't have to be gone for too long.
I know some people from a part of South Carolina where alligators and snakes are part of the normal scenery (eeeek!), would hate to think what they will find on their front porch once they return from the evacuation.

Anyhoo, good luck to you all!

12 Sep 2018 14:38

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Koronin wrote:

I know some people from a part of South Carolina where alligators and snakes are part of the normal scenery (eeeek!), would hate to think what they will find on their front porch once they return from the evacuation.

Anyhoo, good luck to you all!

Thank you. Yeah that would not be nice to come home to. Although I think I'd rather find an alligator on my porch than my house broken into.
User avatar Koronin

14 Sep 2018 00:46

We evacuated today. We're in Charlotte. Hopefully storm goes through soon and we can get back home soon.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

14 Sep 2018 01:07

Koronin wrote:We evacuated today. We're in Charlotte. Hopefully storm goes through soon and we can get back home soon.
You still got the kitties with you?

The wife and the kids are a given, but do you still have the kitties?

14 Sep 2018 02:58

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Koronin wrote:We evacuated today. We're in Charlotte. Hopefully storm goes through soon and we can get back home soon.
You still got the kitties with you?

The wife and the kids are a given, but do you still have the kitties?

Yep kitties are with us. No way we were leaving them. Actually it's husband and we don't have kids. (Yeah, I'm one of the small number of female sports fans. :) ) Funny enough the two things I brought that weren't needed/neccessary are Valverde's biography (which I need google translate to read), and my autographed picture of him. I wasn't taking any chances leaving those home. Wanted to bring some other things, but not much room when you need to pack cats and really have limited space even with two cars.
User avatar Koronin

16 Sep 2018 03:07

It NEED to Fing STOP raining at the coast so the water can recede and let the flooding stop.

We really need to be able to ship this water to the west coast were it's actually needed.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

16 Sep 2018 12:10

Koronin wrote:It NEED to Fing STOP raining at the coast so the water can recede and let the flooding stop.

We really need to be able to ship this water to the west coast were it's actually needed.
I take it you still got the husband and the kitties then?

16 Sep 2018 13:40

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Koronin wrote:It NEED to Fing STOP raining at the coast so the water can recede and let the flooding stop.

Yes.
User avatar Koronin

16 Sep 2018 15:58

Koronin wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:

Yes.
Apologies if I'm being obnoxious.

You still got the Vuelta coverage where you are at? (After many heartfelt hellos to each other and to the fans the riders are finally starting to race the last stage now. I think.)

Never mind - the top riders are still taking selfies, but any minute now I'm sure somebody will start racing. (They've got another 80k to go according to my TV reception, so this is understandable.)

16 Sep 2018 16:36

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:

Yes.
Apologies if I'm being obnoxious.

You still got the Vuelta coverage where you are at? (After many heartfelt hellos to each other and to the fans the riders are finally starting to race the last stage now. I think.)

Never mind - the top riders are still taking selfies, but any minute now I'm sure somebody will start racing. (They've got another 80k to go according to my TV reception, so this is understandable.)

I don't know when NBCSports is showing today's coverage. Yesterday's stage was shown at 1am. I did not stay up for it. I will not watch my boy suffer like he did yesterday. Esp with everything else going on I couldn't handle watching him suffer that badly. After yesterday I don't care at all about today's stage. Will what whatever football game we get and watch the Indy Car race this afternoon.
User avatar Koronin

16 Sep 2018 17:48

Koronin wrote:

I don't know when NBCSports is showing today's coverage. Yesterday's stage was shown at 1am. I did not stay up for it. I will not watch my boy suffer like he did yesterday. Esp with everything else going on I couldn't handle watching him suffer that badly. After yesterday I don't care at all about today's stage. Will what whatever football game we get and watch the Indy Car race this afternoon.
Understood.

(Still 1k to go, something is dangerously close to happening now!)

16 Sep 2018 20:47

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Understood.

(Still 1k to go, something is dangerously close to happening now!)

Some good news, it's stopped raining and much of the flood water that was on many of the roads has receded. There is currently 1 road closure that will prevent us from going home. Once that road is open we should be able to get home. The hope is to go home on Tuesday.
User avatar Koronin

18 Sep 2018 19:56

After the hurricane a lot of people are being denied FEMA benefits that are in areas that are currently very difficult to impossible to get and out of. From what I have heard Wilmington, NC is still only accessible by helicopter or boat. The east coast of NC currently does not have much in the way of gas or supplies and many areas are still flooded with rivers cresting tonight. Good thing it is possible to get into where I live and gas tanker trucks are starting to get in and at least one grocery store got a truck in today. Supposedly we have power in my neighborhood. However, it appears the entire city is without internet/cable.
User avatar Koronin

PreviousNext

Return to General