Register

Your local weather

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

03 Jun 2019 17:56

The Guardian had this story today about the wet conditions in the US Mid-West:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/03/so-much-land-under-so-much-water-extreme-flooding-is-drowning-parts-of-the-midwest

Here, in Flanders, after a dry 2017, a very dry 2018, 2019 has again been dry so far. And warm, though May was the first month below the average since March 2018.
User avatar Jagartrott

06 Jun 2019 09:10

Central Scotland has been depressing over the last few weeks, it’s rained a lot, we had 3 days there where is rained for 3 days solid, it’s bloody 2 weeks away from the summer solstice and you’d think it was March
rick james

Re:

06 Jun 2019 09:35

rick james wrote:Central Scotland has been depressing over the last few weeks, it’s rained a lot, we had 3 days there where is rained for 3 days solid, it’s bloody 2 weeks away from the summer solstice and you’d think it was March

When I cycled around Scotland in 1979 there was rain 17 days in a row. Beautiful though.
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry

Re: Re:

06 Jun 2019 10:12

frenchfry wrote:
rick james wrote:Central Scotland has been depressing over the last few weeks, it’s rained a lot, we had 3 days there where is rained for 3 days solid, it’s bloody 2 weeks away from the summer solstice and you’d think it was March

When I cycled around Scotland in 1979 there was rain 17 days in a row. Beautiful though.

Aye and I bet that was summer time
rick james

Re: Re:

06 Jun 2019 11:51

rick james wrote:
frenchfry wrote:

Aye and I bet that was summer time

August. Summer in most of the northern hemisphere at least!
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry

14 Jun 2019 05:13

It’s been raining every day here for what seems like forever. At this point I’d just take a couple of dry days let alone sunny, warm weather. Last years hot summer seems a long time ago!
User avatar Pricey_sky

14 Jun 2019 06:39

We are getting April and March weather this week. Pretty grim but it wont last. June is normally a heatwave month.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Yesterday 11:15

This week is going to be a bloodbath in western Europe, the +25 isotherm at 850 hPa going as north as the channel and taking almost all France is an unseen, local models see up to +30 at 850 hPa in southern France, something that would be very extreme and close to records also in southern Spain that is usually the hottest are due to vicinity to the Sahara, and up to +28 at 850 hPa in NW Italy where at the sounding site of Levaldigi the all time record is +25,2°C registered only two years ago (the 3rd of august).

Will be interestesting (for who like data and statistics, a nightmare for who has to endure) to see what is going to happen at the ground level, with the right circunstamces i can see temperatures exceeding 45°C in southern French and 40°C in nothern French and nothern Italy meaning that a lot of record are up for grabs, very rare for june considering that almost everywhere the all time records are spreaded between july and august and especially between the second half of july and the first hal of august that usually are the hottest part of the european summer.
Nirvana

Yesterday 20:03

Pretty hot today already. Over 36 °C in Chamonix, which is at 1000 m elevetion.
https://www.lalibre.be/dernieres-depeches/afp/la-france-a-chaud-mais-le-pire-est-a-venir-5d126a53f20d5a15c402340d

34 °C Tmax here near Antwerp, and incredibly humid (dewpoint temperatures of around 22 °C). Wind direction is changing though, and we'll get some relief from the NW the next days. No rain in sight - 2018 on repeat?
User avatar Jagartrott

Today 17:13

We had 37 °C in Heidelberg, south-west Germany today. Well, it's still 36 so no necessity to speak about the past. The temperature is not expected to drop below 30 until 11 pm. Luckily, this should be the hottest day of this particular heat wave, although it will stay in the 30s for the next days.
Hard to believe that our max temperature today will be the lowest night temperature in Basra, Iraq tonight. They had 50 °C today.
Sestriere

Previous

Return to General