Register

Generic "OEM" frames out of china on ebay

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Good luck

04 Apr 2010 22:00

I like my teeth/health too much to take a chance on a no name frame. think about it! You have no chance knowing if the frame is constructed/designed properly or even a rejected frame from a production... The chance is maybe not too large, but it's there and you can not tell.
Speedneedle

04 Apr 2010 22:03

Speedneedle wrote:I like my teeth/health too much to take a chance on a no name frame. think about it! You have no chance knowing if the frame is constructed/designed properly or even a rejected frame from a production... The chance is maybe not too large, but it's there and you can not tell.

probably why he asked about them.

ed rader
User avatar erader

04 Apr 2010 22:57

I agree, you are taking a big risk buying one of these. Why not buy an American made frame instead?

You can get one for about the same cost. Sure it won't be carbon, it will either be CroMoly or Aluminum, but at least you are helping the economy.
User avatar SlantParallelogram

05 Apr 2010 01:27

SlantParallelogram wrote:I agree, you are taking a big risk buying one of these. Why not buy an American made frame instead?

You can get one for about the same cost. Sure it won't be carbon, it will either be CroMoly or Aluminum, but at least you are helping the economy.

Ever think the OP isn't from the states?
karlboss

05 Apr 2010 01:42

Both of these frames come from factories that manufacture the big brands. Considering the majority of the frames that pros ride are made in Asia as well, you have nothing to worry about. It's just amazing that some paint and/or decals can jack up the price by thousands. That's what you all should be mad about, not the quality. If anything, Asia is the master of carbon, nobody does it better.
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

05 Apr 2010 02:13

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Both of these frames come from factories that manufacture the big brands. Considering the majority of the frames that pros ride are made in Asia as well, you have nothing to worry about. It's just amazing that some paint and/or decals can jack up the price by thousands. That's what you all should be mad about, not the quality. If anything, Asia is the master of carbon, nobody does it better.

+1

I don't know about the OP's eBay frames, but you can buy many extremely cheap no-name frames from Asia that are made in the same factories, right along side the Specialized or Felt or Scott or ... Those companies take a frame that costs $200 to manufacture, slap a paint job and decals on it, and sell it for $3K - $5k. It is a complete rip off. The cost of the final product is such that there is no reason why they could not manufacture frames in the U.S. For the same price you can buy frames made in the U.S. That does not make sense.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

05 Apr 2010 02:42

BroDeal wrote:+1

I don't know about the OP's eBay frames, but you can buy many extremely cheap no-name frames from Asia that are made in the same factories, right along side the Specialized or Felt or Scott or ... Those companies take a frame that costs $200 to manufacture, slap a paint job and decals on it, and sell it for $3K - $5k. It is a complete rip off. The cost of the final product is such that there is no reason why they could not manufacture frames in the U.S. For the same price you can buy frames made in the U.S. That does not make sense.

Exactly! Without naming names, thanks to a buddy ( I think you know who I'm talking about BroDeal) I'm basically riding a Scott Addict R1 for a fraction of what it costs retail just because it's a blank. Another Seinfeld quote "retail is for suckers!".... unless it's a MOOTS!
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

05 Apr 2010 04:31

Go to these guys. http://pedalforce.com/online/

Seriously good buys. Most of these frames (if not all) are being made by Merida in Taiwan and are of really good quality.

Do not pay thousands of dollars for a sticker.

If I wasn’t lucky enough for my team to provide bikes I would be on a DA 7800 equipped one of these http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=13613

Or if I found a real job...................MOOTS!
User avatar 53 x 11

05 Apr 2010 07:19

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Exactly! Without naming names, thanks to a buddy ( I think you know who I'm talking about BroDeal) I'm basically riding a Scott Addict R1 for a fraction of what it costs retail just because it's a blank. Another Seinfeld quote "retail is for suckers!".... unless it's a MOOTS!

Don't be clowning on my MOOTS. ;)

I think no-name frames might be a good reaction to cycling becoming the new golf. I am sick and tired of costs spiraling out of control because the sport is now catering to a-holes who buy sh!t to impress other a-holes. Maybe it is best to step off the conveyor completely. You could put a sweet custom paint job on a no-name frame and it would still be cheap. One off decals don't cost much.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

05 Apr 2010 11:21

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Both of these frames come from factories that manufacture the big brands. Considering the majority of the frames that pros ride are made in Asia as well, you have nothing to worry about. It's just amazing that some paint and/or decals can jack up the price by thousands. That's what you all should be mad about, not the quality. If anything, Asia is the master of carbon, nobody does it better.

I think that should read: If anything, Asia is the master of carbon, nobody does it cheaper. These companies spend heaps on R+D and they out source most of their work to Asia to recoup their engineering costs which are not insubstantial.
PainIsYourFriend

05 Apr 2010 12:43

If you can be absolutely positive that these frames are coming from the same factories that build frames for the big bike companies then it is obviously a bargain.

However, how can anybody be absolutely sure which factory built these frames, AND how come this batch of frames did not get sold to the big bike companies? Was there a problem with this batch of frames? Probably not, except you have no way of knowing.
User avatar SlantParallelogram

05 Apr 2010 13:42

SlantParallelogram wrote:I agree, you are taking a big risk buying one of these. Why not buy an American made frame instead?

Name an entry level aluminum bike frame made in the US?
User avatar Bustedknuckle

05 Apr 2010 13:55

SlantParallelogram wrote:If you can be absolutely positive that these frames are coming from the same factories that build frames for the big bike companies then it is obviously a bargain.

However, how can anybody be absolutely sure which factory built these frames, AND how come this batch of frames did not get sold to the big bike companies? Was there a problem with this batch of frames? Probably not, except you have no way of knowing.

Both frames are represented by either brand X or brand Y, the tube shapes are a dead giveaway. However I do agree that ebay isn't the best place to get one of these, because you're right about how there is no way of knowing if these are rejects. Anybody can go to the source and procure a "prototype" direct from the factories, you've just got to be smart about it. Keep in mind also that between China and Taiwan there really isn't that many factories that do this. There's about 2-5 brands coming out of each individual factory.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

06 Apr 2010 04:09

Thanks for the replies! The gist of what I'm reading is that the frames are probably fine but you're taking your chances. So we pay big bucks for Specialzed, Cervelo, et al., to stamp a frame as quality checked? That's frustrating. I won't be buying one of these ebay frames; the doubt about quality control would nag me on every descent!

I'm just trying to build up a lightweight bike for hill races. I take to heart the idea of a handmade frame, but the dollars make it out of reach for now. Maybe a used carbon frame is the way to go.

Thanks again!
User avatar bc_hills

06 Apr 2010 05:03

bc_hills wrote:Thanks for the replies! The gist of what I'm reading is that the frames are probably fine but you're taking your chances. So we pay big bucks for Specialzed, Cervelo, et al., to stamp a frame as quality checked? That's frustrating. I won't be buying one of these ebay frames; the doubt about quality control would nag me on every descent!

There are legitimate sellers on eBay. I would search other forums for threads similar to this to find people's first hand experience with the frames. You could probably find an online retailer that sells entire bikes using generic frames or house brand labeled generic frames that would be a good deal plus come with a warranty backed by the retailer.
User avatar BroDeal

06 Apr 2010 08:43

Go to weightweenies.starbike.com forums and search for pedalforce. You'll get all the reviews you need. And some pics of some seriously light bikes.

In my opinion buying a second hand carbon frame from a guy you dont know is a lot more risky than buying from a company based in Tiawan/US that offers excellent warranty.

Actually, forget that. I have a brand new Bottecchia Ottavio for sale.....nice and cheap!
User avatar 53 x 11

06 Apr 2010 09:09

how much do you want to spend, how light do you want the bike?
karlboss

Actual First Hand Experience

06 Apr 2010 12:27

bc_hills wrote:Thanks for the replies! The gist of what I'm reading is that the frames are probably fine but you're taking your chances. So we pay big bucks for Specialzed, Cervelo, et al., to stamp a frame as quality checked? That's frustrating. I won't be buying one of these ebay frames; the doubt about quality control would nag me on every descent!

I'm just trying to build up a lightweight bike for hill races. I take to heart the idea of a handmade frame, but the dollars make it out of reach for now. Maybe a used carbon frame is the way to go.

Thanks again!

A guy I know cracked his frame. Not having lots of $$ he bought a Hong Kong carbon frame on ebay (around $300) and had the LBS build it up with his existing components. Local bike shop guy said it took a little tweeking but was otherwise just fine. Bike owner said it rode just fine but needed some adjustment (what bike doesn't).

I was thinking about doing the same thing then I realized that I have over 10,000 miles on my mostly Ultegra components. Should I put those on a new frame? Then I started to price getting new components for the carbon frame and it was getting to cost as much or more than getting a built up cheap-ish carbon bike. And honestly, the weight problem I have is between my naval and belt, so I decided to hold out for a bit.

One very nice feature of the No-Name Hong Kong frames is.... No Name! They don't have "isn'tthisacoolbike.com" on every possible surface. There is even one seller on ebay who offers the carbon frames already painted, or custom painted, a nice touch if you are not a "look at me I ride carbon" kind of person.
brewerjeff

06 Apr 2010 14:29

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Both frames are represented by either brand X or brand Y, the tube shapes are a dead giveaway. However I do agree that ebay isn't the best place to get one of these, because you're right about how there is no way of knowing if these are rejects. Anybody can go to the source and procure a "prototype" direct from the factories, you've just got to be smart about it. Keep in mind also that between China and Taiwan there really isn't that many factories that do this. There's about 2-5 brands coming out of each individual factory.

+1

Whoever said that they are only produced out here because it is cheap doesn't understand that Taiwan and China have been investing in Carbon Fibre Development techniques for far longer than European companies, in fact you should probably be more in your bike is not made out here!

I am trying to get to look at one of the factories before I return home, just to get the photo of the Giants, Pinarello's and C'dales rolling off the same factory belt. And I will be laughing at the Freds
Joe Papp wrote:A friend told me Vino set-up a toilet paper manufacturing facility in his native country this spring, to produce "Vino Toilet Paper" for resale in the Central Asian market.

But there was a problem: it wouldn't take sh^t from anyone.
Big GMaC

Next

Return to General