Register

Generic "OEM" frames out of china on ebay

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

13 Apr 2010 17:44

Indurain wrote:Found another bike company that appear to use the Pedal Force CG1 and rebadge it. RITTE VAN VLAANDEREN http://www.ritteracing.com/ritte-bicycles/. They are selling the frame for $1650. Don't mind the paint job and their 3yr crash warranty.

Dang, that's actually a really good looking rig! Something about the Belgian colors, and this is really simply done. Very nice. My only questions would be seeing as how they're Belgian, or I should say Belgian themed, I wonder if the Bosberg has enough clearance for 28mm tires. Would be nice if they kept the integrated post for the Crossberg too.
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

14 Apr 2010 15:57

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Dang, that's actually a really good looking rig! Something about the Belgian colors, and this is really simply done. Very nice. My only questions would be seeing as how they're Belgian, or I should say Belgian themed, I wonder if the Bosberg has enough clearance for 28mm tires. Would be nice if they kept the integrated post for the Crossberg too.

Hey guys, I'm Spencer and I actually own Ritte Cycles. I aim to be very transparent about our bikes and philosophy, so I thought I'd clarify some things. Pedal Force isn't actually a manufacturer, they're a clearing house for the factories, so it's common to find their frames match other brands. (Their previous top-end model was also labeled as a Fondriest, for instance). That said, Ritte doesn't actually make the bikes and we don't own the molds. If we did either of these things, the Bosberg would have to be $3500 instead of $1650. We did, however, play a significant role in the design and testing of the frame, and sharing it with other companies ends up being a good thing for us and our customers. Despite also being available as a "generic" frame from Pedal Force, it's actually an amazing bike. And if you're looking for a new frame and want to save some cash, then you should pick it up from PF. You'll have to also buy the fork and headset, and I don't think theirs has a seat mast, but their price still ends up being lower than ours since we paint the Bosberg and deal in very limited quantities.

To answer your question, RDV4ROUBAIX, The Boserg won't accept 28mm tires, but it does handle 25s. We just raced them at Battenkill and they ate up the dirt. It has a longish wheelbase and chainstays and ends up being a very balanced, stable bike. As for the Crossberg, it won't have a seat mast because it's just not practical. ... maybe I'll cave to the pressure next year.

If you're interested to hear more I wrote a blog entry about all this on my site: http://www.ritteracing.com/2010/02/wheres-your-bike-made/

Cheers, Spencer
RitteRacing

14 Apr 2010 16:28

RitteRacing wrote:To answer your question, RDV4ROUBAIX, The Boserg won't accept 28mm tires, but it does handle 25s. We just raced them at Battenkill and they ate up the dirt. It has a longish wheelbase and chainstays and ends up being a very balanced, stable bike. As for the Crossberg, it won't have a seat mast because it's just not practical. ... maybe I'll cave to the pressure next year.

You should cave into the pressure, I'll even buy one if you do. Smooth transitions baby! No more deltoid, elbow, or forearm scrapes from the seat collar when things get hot on race day. ;)

If you're interested to hear more I wrote a blog entry about all this on my site: http://www.ritteracing.com/2010/02/wheres-your-bike-made/

Oh-oh, nice Rock burn! You and Shane might have some words here. Battle of the small Co. Asian importers round I.. DING!
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

15 Apr 2010 03:46

Hi Spencer.

I really enjoyed your blog entry. It explained the market and the production of frames very well. I can't wait to get my new rig set up after your review of it. I also enjoyed your comments to Mr Jaun, you took no crap and made no apologies for providing a viable market to us poorer guys. You guys did do a fantastic paint job on the Bosberg. Just out of interest though, why is it that you don't like the Rock Racking bike (or Team if you meant that).
User avatar Indurain

17 Apr 2010 05:48

Indurain wrote:
Their top of the line series 7 http://www.predatorbicycles.com/series_7 seems to me to be identical to the Pedal Force CG1 http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=101740&products_id=13613 frame (but almost $2000 more expensive). What do you think?

They are made from the same materials and have the same sizes, geometry and schematic drawings.

Anyone else knows another company that has rebadged this frame?

If I am not mistaken, Fetish cycles sells this frame

http://www.fetishcycles.com/images/normal/images/Belleza/DSCF0628.jpg

edit: the pedal force one
amp300

22 Apr 2010 07:08

Big GMaC wrote:Whoever said that they are only produced out here because it is cheap doesn't understand that Taiwan and China have been investing in Carbon Fibre Development techniques for far longer than European companies, in fact you should probably be more in your bike is not made out here!

What?

In the early 80s when Vitus, Alan and Look were building some of the first carbon frames there was no investment in carbon fiber happening in the far east. In the mid 80s when Kestrel introduced the first monocoque carbon fiber frame with their Kestrel 4000 there still was no Asian investment in carbon fiber.

So how can you say that the investment has been going on far longer in Asia than in the rest of the world? That simply isn't true. :rolleyes:

First of all, carbon fiber development was never really done by the bicycle industry. They simply copied it from other industries like aerospace and applications like auto racing. The so called "development" that you claim is currently going on is still the bicycle industry copying other industries.
User avatar SlantParallelogram

26 Apr 2010 00:16

Thanks, Spencer of Ritte Cycles! Good info.

So who has actually bought one of these off-brand or no-name frames?

Anyone?

I might be one soon.
User avatar ElChingon

17 Aug 2011 20:10

Another place for cheap bikes in Australia is cellbikes.com.au. They are currently selling a carbon bike with Di2 for AU$3999 (about US$ 3500 or £2500). If you compare it to prices in the UK (most places sell cheapest carbon bike from £1500) it is a steal.
podilato

Previous

Return to General