Log in:  

Register

Rujano back in business

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

09 Dec 2012 17:22

Altitude wrote:He had mononucleosis ffs.



Did he? I don't remember seeing it confirmed. Even his teams' doc said he wasn't sure about Rujano's claim.

To me it seemed a clear PMS case :D
Pandora
Junior Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 10 Sep 2009 10:02

09 Dec 2012 20:31

Pandora wrote:Did he? I don't remember seeing it confirmed. Even his teams' doc said he wasn't sure about Rujano's claim.

To me it seemed a clear PMS case :D


I remember Savio admitting that he had mono but criticizing him because there were only traces of it in his blood work. Which means he had it throughout his Giro prep and was probably still affected by it during the race.
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude
Junior Member
 
Posts: 738
Joined: 11 Oct 2010 17:12

09 Dec 2012 20:56

Altitude wrote:He doesn't have shape now, the original post is from 2010.


It happens, but overlooking post #2 in a thread is kinda embarrassing ;)
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

09 Dec 2012 23:47

Altitude wrote:He had mononucleosis ffs.


Afrank wrote:I don't think he showed a ton of motivation this year, exiting the Giro even when the team doctor said there wasn't anything wrong with him for example. Then again, I forget if it was confirmed that he was sick during the Giro or not.


Thanks you for confirming he was sick during the Giro. Of course if the team doctor couldn't detect it, it begs the question how much the sickness was really effecting him during the race.

With Rujano, is seems he can either be really good, or really bad. So the question here is, with his move to the world tour, will he be really good or really bad?
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

09 Dec 2012 23:54

Altitude wrote:I remember Savio admitting that he had mono but criticizing him because there were only traces of it in his blood work. Which means he had it throughout his Giro prep and was probably still affected by it during the race.


"While it’s not my intention to have an argument with the rider, I have to intervene since nobody can be allowed to alter the reality of the facts and cast doubt on the professionalism of those who work for our team," Savio said. "Rujano maintains that his Giro abandon was caused by mononucleosis, but the blood tests didn’t show mononucleosis in an acute phase, but rather traces of a previous exposure to the virus."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/savio-doubts-rujanos-mononucleosis-claim
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,467
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

10 Dec 2012 03:41

Well If I were Vac I would send Rujano to a GT with another leader... someone who is more likely to do decently. Maybe Tomas. Then if Rujano does end up doing well, its not like he stealing leadership from De Gendt or anything.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,171
Joined: 15 Feb 2011 02:57
Location: Wisconsin

10 Dec 2012 07:07

Dazed and Confused wrote:Very nice addition to the Giro.
Now we just need 1 or 2 TT'ers to step forward.


As if the world's best time trialist and reigning TDF champ doesn't provide enough balance? LOL! Those who believe in a mythical climbers vs. time trialists battle on this course really shouldn't complain.

There will be several of them with GC aspirations, regardless. Porte wants to have a Froome-like role, and Rabobank will have Kelderman and/or Gesink.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

10 Dec 2012 08:03

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:As if the world's best time trialist and reigning TDF champ doesn't provide enough balance? LOL! Those who believe in a mythical climbers vs. time trialists battle on this course really shouldn't complain.

There will be several of them with GC aspirations, regardless. Porte wants to have a Froome-like role, and Rabobank will have Kelderman and/or Gesink.


If Gesink starts it would be a nice addition, but before announcing Kelderman as a GC contender perhaps he should try a GT first.

Not buying Porte at this point.

Would like one more TT'er on a separate team.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,999
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

10 Dec 2012 08:24

gustienordic wrote:Well If I were Vac I would send Rujano to a GT with another leader... someone who is more likely to do decently. Maybe Tomas. Then if Rujano does end up doing well, its not like he stealing leadership from De Gendt or anything.

Alternatively send.him to.a gt that isn't your most important one so if he fails, you haven't lost that much and if he succeeds- great.
18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:As if the world's best time trialist and reigning TDF champ doesn't provide enough balance? LOL! Those who believe in a mythical climbers vs. time trialists battle on this course really shouldn't complain.

There will be several of them with GC aspirations, regardless. Porte wants to have a Froome-like role, and Rabobank will have Kelderman and/or Gesink.


Worlds best time trialist? a good case can be made but a better one for 2 others.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,268
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

10 Dec 2012 12:42

Afrank wrote:I don't think he showed a ton of motivation this year, exiting the Giro even when the team doctor said there wasn't anything wrong with him for example. Then again, I forget if it was confirmed that he was sick during the Giro or not.

It would be great if he does have the motivation though, the 2nd best climber in the world (or was it 3rd?) would definitely make Wiggo hurt in the mountains. And it does sound like he is committing himself to the sport more, targeting Vuelta and worlds as well as the Giro.


he had mono/pfeiffer. already starting in trentino, where the signs. the doctor and savio were full of *** although savio quitely admitted later on after having him tested that it was true. he had ti already back from april, which explains his riding in trentino where he blew a few times.. they needed a scapegoat anyway and rujano having the bad reputation, while savio has a far worse reputation of treating (especially south american) riders like s***
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,266
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

10 Dec 2012 12:46

cineteq wrote:"While it’s not my intention to have an argument with the rider, I have to intervene since nobody can be allowed to alter the reality of the facts and cast doubt on the professionalism of those who work for our team," Savio said. "Rujano maintains that his Giro abandon was caused by mononucleosis, but the blood tests didn’t show mononucleosis in an acute phase, but rather traces of a previous exposure to the virus."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/savio-doubts-rujanos-mononucleosis-claim


which is as bad as it can gets. I had once been infected with mono but didn't notice it. until I prepared for a match a few months later and went so deep in my training that I became so sick I could only lay in bed and could barely eat. it scared me and I decided to wait many months to get it out of my system for good(imagine this for a endurance sport like cycling!). same happened to rujano and if the doctor doesn't understand it he's even more of an idiot.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,266
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

10 Dec 2012 14:55

Ryo Hazuki wrote:he had mono/pfeiffer. already starting in trentino, where the signs. the doctor and savio were full of *** although savio quitely admitted later on after having him tested that it was true. he had ti already back from april, which explains his riding in trentino where he blew a few times.. they needed a scapegoat anyway and rujano having the bad reputation, while savio has a far worse reputation of treating (especially south american) riders like s***


Excuse me, but I am sorry to have to say this Ryo, but I think you are full of **** saying that Gianni Savio "treating riders from southamerica as ****".
To my knowledge the most of the southamerican (beside Rujano) like Gianni a lot. I know that all of the guys are greatful to get the chance to prove / show / race in Europe. Gianni Savio is (and have since ages ago) always looked for talens in South America to let them get the chance in major European races. How many other Team Managers does that???

With José Rujano it´s a pretty different question, if you have read all the interviews with Gianni and other you should know that Rujano was the captain of this years Giro, he got the question everyday how he felt and Gianni attached 1-2 riders every day to protect him and help him. And as Gianni said in several interviews if Rujano just have fullfilled the Giro, to honour the race, they wouldn´t had been a problem, the problem is that Rujano choose to leave the race before the last stage.
You should also know that it was Gianni Savio who "found" Rujano in the beginning, you know what happened after that. When José rejoined the Team in 2010 (for the season 2011). Gianni said in several interviews that "this is the last chance for Rujano, any problems and he is out of the Team".

I should recommend you to read little more about Gianni Savio/Androni Giocattoli-Venezuela before you say and makes such statements.

Regards,

Fritz
Cykelbloggar
Junior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 26 Jan 2011 07:22
Location: Tierp / Sweden

10 Dec 2012 21:20

he is not well liked at all in south america. in fact he is disliked in colombia a lot for having swerved the national federation and many riders by lieing to them or screwing them. he would accept their money and never get them to europe or not give them any races or put them in an apartment in italy alone with nothing to do and no races to give. I suggest you talk to guys like fabio duarte and alexis castro what they think about savio, or so many other colombians over the years. the national federation cut all ties to him many years ago and savio via, via being the con-man that he is, got to national fed of venezuela, which is his last string he has in south america. he's a born bull****er and a liar. every year we have to hear how savio supposedly found rujano in a coffee plantation and how he nurtured him to a cyclist, while rujano was whipping everybodies *** in south america for years before savio ever noticed him(same with duarte). I suggest you do more research here as I know very well what I'm talking about, knowing stories first hand.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,266
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

10 Dec 2012 21:39

Ryo Hazuki wrote:he is not well liked at all in south america. in fact he is disliked in colombia a lot for having swerved the national federation and many riders by lieing to them or screwing them. he would accept their money and never get them to europe or not give them any races or put them in an apartment in italy alone with nothing to do and no races to give. I suggest you talk to guys like fabio duarte and alexis castro what they think about savio, or so many other colombians over the years. the national federation cut all ties to him many years ago and savio via, via being the con-man that he is, got to national fed of venezuela, which is his last string he has in south america. he's a born bull****er and a liar. every year we have to hear how savio supposedly found rujano in a coffee plantation and how he nurtured him to a cyclist, while rujano was whipping everybodies *** in south america for years before savio ever noticed him(same with duarte). I suggest you do more research here as I know very well what I'm talking about, knowing stories first hand.


many things you wrote here are truth-but then Rujano himself didn't help the situation either- He had a good chance to shine at Caisse & he blew it. then what he did afterwards? went back to Savio? The ups & downs of his career are as similar as Andy Schleck's approach to cycling- with only few wins you cannot live up to high expectations, even if the talent is there. I do wish Rujano the best & hope he gets his last years straighten out at VC, because this is it-either he makes it-or he's done for good....
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,410
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

10 Dec 2012 21:47

hfer07 wrote:many things you wrote here are truth-but then Rujano himself didn't help the situation either- He had a good chance to shine at Caisse & he blew it. then what he did afterwards? went back to Savio? The ups & downs of his career are as similar as Andy Schleck's approach to cycling- with only few wins you cannot live up to high expectations, even if the talent is there. I do wish Rujano the best & hope he gets his last years straighten out at VC, because this is it-either he makes it-or he's done for good....


despite rujano underperforming at caisse. he still had some good results and caisse wanted to renew him but rujano wanted to go back to venezuela and since then unzue has tried a few times to get him back actually with movistar. it isn't as black and white as is often portraid. rujano 100% screwed up in his earlier years after savio when he and his manager filled their pockets and rujano has admitted this as well. rujano is now a millionaire and he changed his mentality when he went back to south america again in 2009 and he won the vuelta colombia in the strongest showing I've seen of any human being since pantani. since then he doesn't ride for money clearly and nor does he the coming year at vacansoleil.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,266
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

10 Dec 2012 23:23

Ryo Hazuki wrote:despite rujano underperforming at caisse. he still had some good results and caisse wanted to renew him but rujano wanted to go back to venezuela and since then unzue has tried a few times to get him back actually with movistar. it isn't as black and white as is often portraid. rujano 100% screwed up in his earlier years after savio when he and his manager filled their pockets and rujano has admitted this as well. rujano is now a millionaire and he changed his mentality when he went back to south america again in 2009 and he won the vuelta colombia in the strongest showing I've seen of any human being since pantani. since then he doesn't ride for money clearly and nor does he the coming year at vacansoleil.


I hope you're right. He's an intriguing and exciting rider when everything falls into place. A huge talent but one that fits the stereotype of the fragile pure climber. Hard to say when you'll get him performing at his best. I guess all we can do is enjoy him when he's focused and riding well but not set our expectations too high.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,846
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

11 Dec 2012 00:07

don;'t get me wrong. I'm one the last persons who expects anything from him in this giro. but not because of motivation. but because of his fragile body in the italian rain and cold.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,266
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

11 Dec 2012 08:17

Ryo Hazuki wrote:he is not well liked at all in south america. in fact he is disliked in colombia a lot for having swerved the national federation and many riders by lieing to them or screwing them. he would accept their money and never get them to europe or not give them any races or put them in an apartment in italy alone with nothing to do and no races to give. I suggest you talk to guys like fabio duarte and alexis castro what they think about savio, or so many other colombians over the years. the national federation cut all ties to him many years ago and savio via, via being the con-man that he is, got to national fed of venezuela, which is his last string he has in south america. he's a born bull****er and a liar. every year we have to hear how savio supposedly found rujano in a coffee plantation and how he nurtured him to a cyclist, while rujano was whipping everybodies *** in south america for years before savio ever noticed him(same with duarte). I suggest you do more research here as I know very well what I'm talking about, knowing stories first hand.


I do know stories from first hand, as you should also know is that in some of the riders you are mentioning was very young when they got the chance with Androni (and the names the team had then). I think it´s very good of Gianni to find riders in Southamerica and letting them have the opportunity to "grow" among other well experienced riders. But soem of them didn´t get a new contract, and you should know that in ALL CASES the Team and the sponsors comes first, it´s always the best rider of the day who get the chance to race.
But still you doesn´t comment the fact that it´s Gianni Savio who has for several years looking and find strong riders in Southamerice, and the "excuse" you use that Rujano was "whipping everybodies asses for years" before Gianni contacted him do I think is a lame excuse, you should also look at the facts what happened with José after he left Androni in the first place, how many team did he join, and what happened after that all Team got tired of him? Who got him back to the races in Europe?

I agree that José Rujano is a great rider ( I have meet him a couple of times) but it´s not the races, teams, manager who is his greates enemy it´s himself.

And if Gianni Savio and Androni is so "unliked" as you say, why does the Team had two riders from Colombia this year - Serpa and Rubiano, and one next year - Rubiano and don´t forget the riders from Venezuela!

One more thing who anoys me when I read you statements, is that when you write s**t about Gianni, you makes it sound that Gianni should be the South American CONTINENTs soloution when it comes to bicycling, Southamerica is a BIG continent, and to my knowledge the countries there is pretty big and Gianni Savio is resident i Italy, he can´t be all the time in Venezuela or other southamerican countries, he has to be where the riders are Italy, Malaysia, Taiwan, Colombia, Venezuela, Spain and France.

So my suggestion, think again before you write such bad things about a person you doesn´know. I am happy and honoured to say that I atleast know Gianni Savio a little bit and the things you say about him is totally incorrect.

Regards,
Fritz
Cykelbloggar
Junior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 26 Jan 2011 07:22
Location: Tierp / Sweden

11 Dec 2012 09:04

basically you use lots of words and say nothing.

" and the "excuse" you use that Rujano was "whipping everybodies asses for years" before Gianni contacted him do I think is a lame excuse, you should also look at the facts what happened with José after he left Androni in the first place, how many team did he join, and what happened after that all Team got tired of him? Who got him back to the races in Europe? "


this doesn't make any sense, did you even read what I said? :confused:

and who got him back to europe? how about isd, who got him back in 2010, and movistar who were first to offer him contract after isd in 2010. rujano wisely (then) choose a good team (his buddies jackson and ochoa) over money of movistar, who were offering him more.

if rujano next year is kicking everybody's *** in the giro and or vuelta. savio looks like a total idiot, like he did with duarte.


and about the colombians thing. he only got serpa because he rode in venezuela for years before savio got him and rubiano had been racing in italy for almost 10 years before savio got him. nobody in colombia takes him serious anymore and he hasn't been able to sign any colombian since duarte in 2007 because of it. and that while the colombian rider market and hype is storming and many teams are getting them.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,266
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

11 Dec 2012 11:55

Cykelbloggar wrote:I do know stories from first hand, as you should also know is that in some of the riders you are mentioning was very young when they got the chance with Androni (and the names the team had then). I think it´s very good of Gianni to find riders in Southamerica and letting them have the opportunity to "grow" among other well experienced riders. But soem of them didn´t get a new contract, and you should know that in ALL CASES the Team and the sponsors comes first, it´s always the best rider of the day who get the chance to race.
But still you doesn´t comment the fact that it´s Gianni Savio who has for several years looking and find strong riders in Southamerice, and the "excuse" you use that Rujano was "whipping everybodies asses for years" before Gianni contacted him do I think is a lame excuse, you should also look at the facts what happened with José after he left Androni in the first place, how many team did he join, and what happened after that all Team got tired of him? Who got him back to the races in Europe?

I agree that José Rujano is a great rider ( I have meet him a couple of times) but it´s not the races, teams, manager who is his greates enemy it´s himself.

And if Gianni Savio and Androni is so "unliked" as you say, why does the Team had two riders from Colombia this year - Serpa and Rubiano, and one next year - Rubiano and don´t forget the riders from Venezuela!

One more thing who anoys me when I read you statements, is that when you write s**t about Gianni, you makes it sound that Gianni should be the South American CONTINENTs soloution when it comes to bicycling, Southamerica is a BIG continent, and to my knowledge the countries there is pretty big and Gianni Savio is resident i Italy, he can´t be all the time in Venezuela or other southamerican countries, he has to be where the riders are Italy, Malaysia, Taiwan, Colombia, Venezuela, Spain and France.

So my suggestion, think again before you write such bad things about a person you doesn´know. I am happy and honoured to say that I atleast know Gianni Savio a little bit and the things you say about him is totally incorrect.

Regards,
Fritz
Good post Fritz! Ryo might know few things here and there but he's been wrong countless times.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:if rujano next year is kicking everybody's *** in the giro and or vuelta. savio looks like a total idiot, like he did with duarte.
Not really (see bolded above), it'd mean Rujanito has matured.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,467
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamski101, Arredondo, Ataraxus, Eshnar, Eyeballs Out, indianfanboy, Lambanna, lemon cheese cake, Lexman, rick james, Rob_Roy, sulgpallur, Yahoo [Bot] and 57 guests

Back to top