Register

Purito - Joaquim Rodriguez thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

13 Mar 2013 13:42

cineteq wrote:You can't blame a TTT for that. Contador was +15 vs. Rodriguez's +43 on stage 4.

What about Porto San Elpidio and Chieti? He put 8 & 44s into everyone but Nibali there, but that doesn't count?

In the end he lost it in the TT no doubt, but those small differences in the final GC were the result of the TTT.
User avatar Pentacycle

13 Mar 2013 14:33

cineteq wrote:Looking really god, too bad he's chosen the wrong GTs to ride.

There's a chance he still might changes his mind.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

21 Mar 2013 18:37

I'm beginning to think that J rod may be a genuine Tour contender this year. I had written him off previously but his consistency recently has been incredible.

Although he will lose time to Froome and Contador in the TT, he seems to be the best climber in the Peleton just now. I just cant see any other GT contender that can distance him.

I'm sure Katusha have also learned from Fuente De and that any complacency has been eradicated.

Anyone else think his chances are looking good?
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

21 Mar 2013 18:50

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:I'm beginning to think that J rod may be a genuine Tour contender this year. I had written him off previously but his consistency recently has been incredible.

Although he will lose time to Froome and Contador in the TT, he seems to be the best climber in the Peleton just now. I just cant see any other GT contender that can distance him.

I'm sure Katusha have also learned from Fuente De and that any complacency has been eradicated.

He can make the podium but he definitely won't win.

Should have gone for Giro,Vuelta, Worlds.

Would have had a decent chance of winning all 3.
User avatar the asian

21 Mar 2013 18:55

the asian wrote:He can make the podium but he definitely won't win.

You think he will lose the Tour as a result of the TT's?

Vuelta looks to be his best chance but agree that he could beat Wiggins and Nibali as well

21 Mar 2013 19:01

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:I'm beginning to think that J rod may be a genuine Tour contender this year. I had written him off previously but his consistency recently has been incredible.

I think if Froome watches Alberto just a bit too much Purito will ride away to victory :D a bit like tour 2011 with Andy watching Berto even though he wasn't a threat anymore
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

21 Mar 2013 19:03

No time bonuses, so his chance of winning is very slim.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

21 Mar 2013 19:03

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:You think he will lose the Tour as a result of the TT's?

Vuelta looks to be his best chance but agree that he could beat Wiggins and Nibali as well

That + No bonus seconds+ The tour climbs don't suit him much.
User avatar the asian

21 Mar 2013 19:10

I was reading a really good report in the Australian RIDE magazine on the 2012 Vuelta with individual articles on the 4 primary gc guys and one article dedicated to the Fuente De stage. It was indicated that Contador knew of Purito's tendency to occasionally take rest days completely off the bike and as the ride leader at that time his opportunities to actually rest were pretty limited. This inside knowledge that Contador had combined with the circumstances as they were contributed to Purito's downfall. If he learns from his past mistakes and continues on his upward trajectory form and results wise I can see him winning a grand tour. He came awfully close in 2012 and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of decline. I'm doubtful though that he can win the Tour though.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

21 Mar 2013 19:28

Of course he can challenge for the tour, however I am not sure he is a better climber than Froome, at least in mountain top finishes, better puncher climber though
del1962

21 Mar 2013 19:31

Angliru wrote:I was reading a really good report in the Australian RIDE magazine on the 2012 Vuelta with individual articles on the 4 primary gc guys and one article dedicated to the Fuente De stage. It was indicated that Contador knew of Purito's tendency to occasionally take rest days completely off the bike and as the ride leader at that time his opportunities to actually rest were pretty limited. This inside knowledge that Contador had combined with the circumstances as they were contributed to Purito's downfall. If he learns from his past mistakes and continues on his upward trajectory form and results wise I can see him winning a grand tour. He came awfully close in 2012 and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of decline. I'm doubtful though that he can win the Tour though.

Cool story, turns out Contador isn't just a crazy attacker, but also an evil genius on a bike:eek:
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

21 Mar 2013 19:35

the asian wrote:He can make the podium but he definitely won't win.

Pretty much agree with this. I don't see him winning the Tour, especially with no bonus seconds.

However He'll definitely be contending for the podium I think, and likely a few stages. He won't win, but he'll be one of the major players that makes the race. He really should be targeting the Giro and Vuelta though. Those races just suit him and his strengths so much more.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

21 Mar 2013 19:38

Afrank wrote:Pretty much agree with this. I don't see him winning the Tour, especially with no bonus seconds.

However He'll definitely be contending for the podium I think, and likely a few stages. He won't win, but he'll be one of the major players that makes the race. He really should be targeting the Giro and Vuelta though. Those races just suit him and his strengths so much more.

I guess it is the lure of the Tour though, if he thinks he can win it, then he will go for it, and will not distracted by Giro.
del1962

21 Mar 2013 20:01

del1962 wrote:I guess it is the lure of the Tour though, if he thinks he can win it, then he will go for it, and will not distracted by Giro.

Yeah, he's surely third in line. If anything happens to Froome or Contador then he could be a Tour winner.

Most of the mountain finishes will be sky train oriented and he could take advantage by jumping in the last km. Unfortunately gaining 10-15 seconds each time will probably not be enough to negate TT losses.

I kind of hope he does it. He is in great form and can't have many years left at this level.

22 Mar 2013 20:04

Angliru wrote:I was reading a really good report in the Australian RIDE magazine on the 2012 Vuelta with individual articles on the 4 primary gc guys and one article dedicated to the Fuente De stage. It was indicated that Contador knew of Purito's tendency to occasionally take rest days completely off the bike and as the ride leader at that time his opportunities to actually rest were pretty limited. This inside knowledge that Contador had combined with the circumstances as they were contributed to Purito's downfall. If he learns from his past mistakes and continues on his upward trajectory form and results wise I can see him winning a grand tour. He came awfully close in 2012 and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of decline. I'm doubtful though that he can win the Tour though.

His best chance is the Vuelta. This year parcourse is more or less like last year but with a flat stage after the second rest day. :D
icefire

22 Mar 2013 20:12

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Yeah, he's surely third in line. If anything happens to Froome or Contador then he could be a Tour winner.

Most of the mountain finishes will be sky train oriented and he could take advantage by jumping in the last km. Unfortunately gaining 10-15 seconds each time will probably not be enough to negate TT losses.

I kind of hope he does it. He is in great form and can't have many years left at this level.

Just do last km attacks on every mtf and then if froome loses time because of a crash or mechanical he is the winner of the 2013 tour de france
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

12 Jun 2013 01:43

How do folk rate rodriguez' chances after the dauphine? I think he was within himself and is looking at a podium.
karlboss

12 Jun 2013 02:45

yup purito was doing a schleck and hiding his form at the dauphine. judging by the vuelta he could put froome in serious difficulty if his form is equal or even better than that of the vuelta. plus he has both a giro and vuelta in his legs from last year which will certainly advantage him. the ax-3 stage and the Annecy stage will suit him. he'll likely podium but definitely could crack froome allowing contador to win. I also notice that rodriguez attacks earlier than froome and has a much bigger acceleration and sprint. the tt will be his main downfall
nick101

12 Jun 2013 03:25

Not so sure about Purito attacking further out than Froome. Purito is generally known for his kick towards the backend in the last km or two. Nothing really expansive.

In the Criterium International Froome attacked further out and if he didn't have such a huge lead over Contador after the TT in the Dauphine, he may have done something similar for all we know in the stage he won. In that stage he didn't have to and taking the final one he looked well within himself while doing all the pulling with Porte alongside him in trying to catch De Marchi to take the stage win.
User avatar gooner

12 Jun 2013 03:39

yup froome will try that attack on at least one stage. but he won't be able to drop the likes of rogriguez and contador if they're on form because he doesn't have the surges like contador or rodriguez. but he has a good acceleration in the final km, better than contador I think. the ax-3 stage seems almost tailor made for rodriguez - a short steep finish. its only 8kms but that means that rodriguez will likely attack earlier. froome usually only attacks within the final 3kms. possibly due to the sky lead out, but I honestly doubt he has the ability to accelerate from 10kms out and stay away. froome is essentially wiggins with a decent acceleration
nick101

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing