Register

Purito - Joaquim Rodriguez thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

12 Jun 2013 04:29

i wish purito taken the Giro. He would have won it. Maybe the lure of the mountainous TDF. I thought, the year when Cadel win, was also a mountainous one too. People said that was designed for Andy. (andy was worst than purito in ITT).

As I recall, purito isn't really type of long steady climb ala le tour. He is more to short, steep, punchy climb. Like everyone here, I don't see him winning it. He might be the protagonist of the race for sure. The problem is we don't know his form since he was pretty horrible at Dauphine. Maybe Lil' Richie was right, how can they make up the 2+ time lost in flat ITT in 3 weeks time?
User avatar Jelantik

12 Jun 2013 04:53

in 2010 the tour was pretty much designed for andy, but in 2011 the tt allowed others to do well. yes the giro would've suited him better because of the short steep climbs to jafferau and tre clime laverdo. but rodriguez can climb well on long climbs on the stelvio last year he did well and he's proven that on the longer climbs in the giro and vuelta. he has also improved in the tt, so I expect him to only lose a couple of minutes in the tt's. he has a better acceleration than froome so could gain up to 30 seconds on several of the stages if he attacks in the final kms. at the dauphine he was doing a schleck and hiding his form. yes a podium is possible for purito, but he won't beat froome.
nick101

12 Jun 2013 05:02

Not really sure about Purito's chances at this point myself. He didn't really do that much in the Dauphine. He was in the mix of course, so his form isn't looking terrible, but it's not like it looks outstanding either. Hopefully he was just riding it for prep and to get a read on the other guys and didn't do anything on purpose. I think Purito could play a important part in putting Sky in difficulty. And I think he knows that he can't win with his final hundred meter attacks and so will try going from further out on some stages.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

12 Jun 2013 05:06

could see valverde, rodriguez and contador conspiring against froome? rodriguez has done long range attacks like on Grossglockner at the 2011 giro. but everyone knows his dangerous acceleration so he's immediately marked and chased down until the last km where the time losses to him are minimal
nick101

12 Jun 2013 05:14

Jelantik wrote:i wish purito taken the Giro. He would have won it. Maybe the lure of the mountainous TDF. I thought, the year when Cadel win, was also a mountainous one too. People said that was designed for Andy. (andy was worst than purito in ITT).

As I recall, purito isn't really type of long steady climb ala le tour. He is more to short, steep, punchy climb. Like everyone here, I don't see him winning it. He might be the protagonist of the race for sure. The problem is we don't know his form since he was pretty horrible at Dauphine. Maybe Lil' Richie was right, how can they make up the 2+ time lost in flat ITT in 3 weeks time?

Not too sure about that, not with Nibali's improved TTing and stages being canceled/altered. Impossible to know for sure of course, but just my opinion. He definitely should have done the Giro instead though, he would have at least podiumed and got a couple stages. Plus he should have done it just for the fact that it would have helped him come into the Vuelta fresher.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

12 Jun 2013 06:24

Afrank wrote:Not really sure about Purito's chances at this point myself. He didn't really do that much in the Dauphine. He was in the mix of course, so his form isn't looking terrible, but it's not like it looks outstanding either. Hopefully he was just riding it for prep and to get a read on the other guys and didn't do anything on purpose. I think Purito could play a important part in putting Sky in difficulty. And I think he knows that he can't win with his final hundred meter attacks and so will try going from further out on some stages.

It's just not good for the rest of his season to be in good shape in the Dauphiné. He'll still compete in the Tour and Vuelta, after which he targets the WC. It would not be sensible to go all-out for the Tour without saving energy for the rest of the season. I hope he still does a good Tour though.
User avatar Pentacycle

12 Jun 2013 06:39

Afrank wrote:Not really sure about Purito's chances at this point myself. He didn't really do that much in the Dauphine. He was in the mix of course, so his form isn't looking terrible, but it's not like it looks outstanding either. Hopefully he was just riding it for prep and to get a read on the other guys and didn't do anything on purpose. I think Purito could play a important part in putting Sky in difficulty. And I think he knows that he can't win with his final hundred meter attacks and so will try going from further out on some stages.

At Katusha the Spaniards are joined at the hip. Seeing Moreno doing very well at CdD would indicate J-Rod will be ready for the Tour imo.

Of course to make any kind of impact in July, J-Rod will need to bring his Vuelta '12 form. I think he will.
Dazed and Confused

12 Jun 2013 11:12

Dazed and Confused wrote:At Katusha the Spaniards are joined at the hip. Seeing Moreno doing very well at CdD would indicate J-Rod will be ready for the Tour imo.

Of course to make any kind of impact in July, J-Rod will need to bring his Vuelta '12 form. I think he will.
100% agree here. This is the race Purito lives for, at least this year.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

19 Jun 2013 00:08

he Critérium du Dauphiné proved a disaster for Rodríguez, who lost three minutes to Froome on a flat, power course.

So much so, that he’s ditched a new, wind-tunnel tested time trial position to return to his older, at least more familiar position ahead of the Tour.

“I was terrible. There is no excuse. It was back to the terrible Purito in the time trials,” said Rodríguez, referring to the Dauphiné. “My only consolation is that it won’t be so flat in the Tour. … I couldn’t adapt to the new position. My body was too far forward. For the Tour, I will return to my old position with a few tweaks.”

From an article on Velonews

Seems stupid to have completely wasted the windtunnel testing, surely he could have said it wasnt right after first doing it allowing for time to re-adjust properly
richard_91

19 Jun 2013 01:20

richard_91 wrote:From an article on Velonews

Seems stupid to have completely wasted the windtunnel testing, surely he could have said it wasnt right after first doing it allowing for time to re-adjust properly
how's that a waste? a typical 'in hindsight' thought
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

19 Jun 2013 03:09

cineteq wrote:how's that a waste? a typical 'in hindsight' thought

I dont know when the tunnel testing took place, but what I ment was surely he would have realised it wasnt comfortable before now, so surely he should have spoken up while testing or surely he would have realised before now allowing the time to potentially do extra testing
richard_91

19 Jun 2013 11:26

Purito could be the best climber in this TdF, maybe no in Mont Ventoux, but in general, but... if Hesjedal could beat him in the Giro, he could do it again here.

So he is a serious candidate to the podium if he can climb as last year, but there are several like him.
User avatar Taxus4a

19 Jun 2013 11:30

Taxus4a wrote:Purito could be the best climber in this TdF, maybe no in Mont Ventoux, but in general, but... if Hesjedal could beat him in the Giro, he could do it again here.

So he is a serious candidate to the podium if he can climb as last year, but there are several like him.

Or maybe the best uphill sprinter.I don't think he will do long range attacks.Probably he will stay in Froome wheel until 1km banner and than jump for stage and 5-10s.If he will limit the losses well in the first TT probably will be on podium on Champs.
Sorry for my bad english.
all_in

19 Jun 2013 11:39

In relation to rodriguez's tt position, he obviously doesn't do much tting so the fact that he hadn't adapted earlier in the year wouldn't have been a surprise for him. He would've thought that if he left it til around the dauphine to do more tt'ing and fully adapt to his position, then it'd be fine. But his position made him much worse so clearly it wasn't right and he wasn't able to adapt. He just didn't realise earlier. It's too late now to change his position radically
nick101

19 Jun 2013 12:35

all_in wrote:Or maybe the best uphill sprinter.I don't think he will do long range attacks.Probably he will stay in Froome wheel until 1km banner and than jump for stage and 5-10s.If he will limit the losses well in the first TT probably will be on podium on Champs.

If he could do that in Ax 3 Domaines or Alp D Huez would be difficull to say he is not the best climber..
If the fight start from far away of the finish and he fade, I couldnt consider the best climber just for a day that beate Froome.

But he has been very strong in hard stages in the Giro, and the stage of Cuitu Negru in La Vuelta had before two hards first category climbs.
I bet he some day will be the best climber, but not in general.
User avatar Taxus4a

25 Jun 2013 23:07

Taxus4a wrote:Image

Looks like he is going to be a boom :p

Hahah that's awesome! :D
webbie146

26 Jun 2013 00:00

I love Purito's sense of humor. Makes me root for him more.:)
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

26 Jun 2013 05:42

Dont think Purito can make it to the podium. Field is too deep this time around for him to do well. Maybe he will do well in a few stages...but nothing more...
saneguy

26 Jun 2013 05:48

saneguy wrote:Dont think Purito can make it to the podium. Field is too deep this time around for him to do well. Maybe he will do well in a few stages...but nothing more...

No way, I disagree, he's the most likely rider to come third. Him and valverde, at this stage, are the main contenders for third place. He's in his best years now so imo opinion he can't be discounted, coming off the back of two podiums at GT's - 2nd in the Giro and 3rd in the Vuelta. This year is probably his best chance of a podium ever in the TDF - the summit finishes are the steepest in recent years and the TT'ing is the lowest with a hilly TT also, where his time losses will be lower than a flat TT. There are 3 summit finishes that average over 8%: Ax-3, Alpe d'Huez and Semnoz. Ventoux could also suit him due to it's extended sections of over 10%.
nick101

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing