Register

Purito - Joaquim Rodriguez thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

26 Jun 2013 07:26

nick101 wrote:No way, I disagree, he's the most likely rider to come third. Him and valverde, at this stage, are the main contenders for third place. He's in his best years now so imo opinion he can't be discounted, coming off the back of two podiums at GT's - 2nd in the Giro and 3rd in the Vuelta. This year is probably his best chance of a podium ever in the TDF - the summit finishes are the steepest in recent years and the TT'ing is the lowest with a hilly TT also, where his time losses will be lower than a flat TT. There are 3 summit finishes that average over 8%: Ax-3, Alpe d'Huez and Semnoz. Ventoux could also suit him due to it's extended sections of over 10%.

Agree the route this year at the Tour suits him much more. But still dont think he will be such a big threat. Far too many other guys that will do better. After his performance at Giro - I would surely tip Evans to be in much better shape than Purito.
saneguy

26 Jun 2013 07:33

saneguy wrote:Agree the route this year at the Tour suits him much more. But still dont think he will be such a big threat. Far too many other guys that will do better. After his performance at Giro - I would surely tip Evans to be in much better shape than Purito.

He will definitely be a threat, there is no question about that. Evans has a giro in his legs, he will be tired, won't have recovered enough and hasn't raced in over a month. Rodriguez came second in the Giro in a much harder route and stronger field so that point about evans is null. Evans should've come at least second this year. I'm curious as to who you think could beat an on form Rodriguez then??
nick101

26 Jun 2013 07:40

saneguy wrote:Dont think Purito can make it to the podium. Field is too deep this time around for him to do well. Maybe he will do well in a few stages...but nothing more...

Exactly. Many guys here say he's improved a lot over the last couple of years, but I disagree. I think he'll be just as strong as in the '10 Tour, last year was more or less a fluke. He'll contend for the stage win on a few occasions, but he'll have some bad days, knocking him out of the top 5.
User avatar Pentacycle

26 Jun 2013 07:49

nick101 wrote:I'm curious as to who you think could beat an on form Rodriguez then??

Evans - even though you disagree
Porte - even though Sky's main focus is Froome, Porte is exactly in the same position this year as Froome was last year to Wiggins.
Valverde - yes I do think he could do better than Purito.

Guess we will have our answers soon enough :D
saneguy

26 Jun 2013 07:52

Pentacycle wrote:Exactly. Many guys here say he's improved a lot over the last couple of years, but I disagree. I think he'll be just as strong as in the '10 Tour, last year was more or less a fluke. He'll contend for the stage win on a few occasions, but he'll have some bad days, knocking him out of the top 5.

How can you prove it was a fluke?? This year at times he's shown similar form- like when he out smarted froome on a stage that would never suit him. I say he has progressed as a rider and has finally reached his best years. Your also forgetting that he came second in a giro with a high quality field also. He proved us wrong about being bad on long climbs, e.g. thee Stelvio. I can't think of many riders at all that could out climb him at all. For me it's how he does in the TT's that decides his top 5 result
nick101

26 Jun 2013 08:01

nick101 wrote:How can you prove it was a fluke?? This year at times he's shown similar form- like when he out smarted froome on a stage that would never suit him. I say he has progressed as a rider and has finally reached his best years. Your also forgetting that he came second in a giro with a high quality field also. He proved us wrong about being bad on long climbs, e.g. thee Stelvio. I can't think of many riders at all that could out climb him at all. For me it's how he does in the TT's that decides his top 5 result

I agree he is having the year of his life but thats not still convincing enough for him to contend for a podium at the tour. Plus look at how well Evans did at the MTT in Giro - only 30 seconds down to Wiggins. That was a super effort.
saneguy

26 Jun 2013 08:05

saneguy wrote:I agree he is having the year of his life but thats not still convincing enough for him to contend for a podium at the tour. Plus look at how well Evans did at the MTT in Giro - only 30 seconds down to Wiggins. That was a super effort.

I'm pretty sure Wiggins left the race before the MTT. Are you meaning Nibali?? As for Evans, he struggled in the final week and lost form, plus he's getting old and his best years are behind him. Imo next year will be his last year he has the form to compete for a podium at a GT.
nick101

26 Jun 2013 10:31

nick101 wrote:I'm pretty sure Wiggins left the race before the MTT. Are you meaning Nibali?? As for Evans, he struggled in the final week and lost form, plus he's getting old and his best years are behind him. Imo next year will be his last year he has the form to compete for a podium at a GT.

I was actually refering to the first TT. Wasnt exactly a MTT but a steep finish. Wiggins was second on that. Dowsett won it. Evans did pretty well there.

While I agree he is old and losing steam but the Giro was pretty tough. Especially the last week. Some dreadful conditions with snow, rains etc. And I dont think he really struggled a lot in the last week. Nibali killed it in the MTT and gained 2.36 on Evans. Thats when I think he simply decided to finish the Giro. No chance he could have gained much on stage 20. So why push? Esp when you know you are again competing in a GT in June?

Lot of subjectivity - lets wait and watch, shall we? :D - am not against Purito but just feel he may struggle for the podium place. And to be honest - am not so sure about Contador being as competitive either. But then he is Contador - so never know with him...
saneguy

26 Jun 2013 10:37

saneguy wrote:I was actually refering to the first TT. Wasnt exactly a MTT but a steep finish. Wiggins was second on that. Dowsett won it. Evans did pretty well there.

While I agree he is old and losing steam but the Giro was pretty tough. Especially the last week. Some dreadful conditions with snow, rains etc. And I dont think he really struggled a lot in the last week. Nibali killed it in the MTT and gained 2.36 on Evans. Thats when I think he simply decided to finish the Giro. No chance he could have gained much on stage 20. So why push? Esp when you know you are again competing in a GT in June?

Lot of subjectivity - lets wait and watch, shall we? :D - am not against Purito but just feel he may struggle for the podium place. And to be honest - am not so sure about Contador being as competitive either. But then he is Contador - so never know with him...

Oh that TT. Wiggins would've won that if he hadn't had a mechanical that cost him 15 seconds.

Nibali was on fire that Giro. He beat Di Luca's record up Tre Cimi Laveredo and we all know why Di Luca was so fast on that climb *cough cough* . To lose 2.36, Evans must have been losing form as i said, or given up before then, however he was in a good position for second before the MTT, so it wouldn't make sense to give up at that point.

It's going to be an interesting Tour. We'll all know by the end who's right about Purito and whether Contador is able to find his old form :D
nick101

26 Jun 2013 10:45

nick101 wrote:How can you prove it was a fluke?? This year at times he's shown similar form- like when he out smarted froome on a stage that would never suit him. I say he has progressed as a rider and has finally reached his best years. Your also forgetting that he came second in a giro with a high quality field also. He proved us wrong about being bad on long climbs, e.g. thee Stelvio. I can't think of many riders at all that could out climb him at all. For me it's how he does in the TT's that decides his top 5 result

In the 2010 Tour he was better than Hesjedal, if he hadn't lost time on the stage to Brussels he'd have been 1 minute ahead. GT-wise, Hesjedal has progressed more significantly than Purito, since then. Rodriguez true leap lies in his classics results.
User avatar Pentacycle

26 Jun 2013 10:51

Pentacycle wrote:In the 2010 Tour he was better than Hesjedal, if he hadn't lost time on the stage to Brussels he'd have been 1 minute ahead. GT-wise, Hesjedal has progressed more significantly than Purito, since then. Rodriguez true leap lies in his classics results.

Yes Rodriguez may not have improved as much in relation to his abilites, however the reason why he did so well at the Giro and the Vuelta was because he became more consistent and improved his TT'ing; imo more so than Hesjadel. For me, his season in 2012 was a long time coming. He's been improving in consistency at GT's since the 2010 Tour/Vuelta
nick101

26 Jun 2013 11:10

Purito had his chances, its a big commitment the grand tours for him when he can win doing all other races as hes a great stage winner.
Preview of the 2015 Vuelta a Espana stage 11 tips: http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/vuelta-a-espana-2015-cycling-preview/
User avatar manafana

27 Jun 2013 14:02

Big fan of this rider – hope he does well in Le Tour.:D
sienna

29 Jun 2013 04:36

sienna wrote:Big fan of this rider – hope he does well in Le Tour.:D

Given his new haircut, I'm thinking I'll be sitting in his cheering section in the next couple weeks. I like his attitude. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodriguez-convinced-about-his-tour-de-france-chances?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=cyclingnews&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

but the haircut makes me think of Cosmo Kramer:

http://kootation.com/cosmo-kramer/angelfire.com*ca3*seinfeld4*images*kramer3.jpg/

And, so as not to get catty about it - I'll just wish him luck with that 'do. It's his legs that will be doing the talkin' anyway.
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2

29 Jun 2013 07:50

Entering Rodriguez, the rock star:

Having looked in cards, the odd glass bowl and a couple of dead fish tells me this man will be the best climber in the tour.
Dazed and Confused

29 Jun 2013 21:50

Dazed and Confused wrote:Having looked in cards, the odd glass bowl and a couple of dead fish tells me this man will be the best climber in the tour.

I searched my feelings and knew it to be true.
Viking

17 Jul 2013 02:28

Purito is still thinking podium:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodriguez-happier-with-form-but-still-wants-tour-de-france-podium-spot

He was surprisingly awful in the Pyrenees, but looked much better on the last two stages. With some luck, he just might make the podium. It's a big longshot though. Best case scenario, barring some truly insane things, is fourth:

Ten Dam seems to be fading, and will likely work to keep Mollema on the podium instead of riding for his own place, so I think Purito will pass him. If Contador truly goes for the win at the cost of a podium, both he and Kreuziger will likely crack, so Purito could move up to fourth. That leaves Mollema (currently 2'57" ahead of Purito) and Quintana (1'24" ahead). I'm assuming Froome is invincible at this point, so I'm just penciling him in for first. I expect Purito will lose time to Mollema tomorrow, but probably gain a few seconds on Quintana.

I don't see Purito outclimbing Quintana, so he won't pass him. Besides, he said 2nd was for the Colombians! Mollema should have a pretty nice cushion over Purito after the chrono, and he'll probably ride conservatively to keep his place. So Mollema's spot is safe (from Purito anyway).
Viking

17 Aug 2013 19:16

Just a weak before Purito will tackle his home grand Tour. He said in a interview that he is a little bit tired from the Tour, more than he expected. Still hope that this spectaculair climber will win a couple of stages, and prepares himself well for the worlds in Florence.

What's your opinion about Purito's chances?
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

17 Aug 2013 19:26

I think he could still reach the top 10 (maybe top 5 depending on how tired he is) even with the Tour in his legs. If he hadn't done the Tour though he would surly be one of the top contender for the win.

Should definitely be able to take a couple stages though.
User avatar Afrank

17 Aug 2013 19:30

Afrank wrote:I think he could still reach the top 10 (maybe top 5 depending on how tired he is) even with the Tour in his legs. If he hadn't done the Tour though he would surly be one of the top contender for the win.

Should definitely be able to take a couple stages though.

Yeah, especially the stages to Valdepenas, Angliru and Pena Cabarga are tailor-made for him. I don't know how he will approach this Vuelta (losing time in the first week so he can haunting for stage wins in the remain of the Vuelta), will be interesting to watch (Just like Valverde)
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing