Register

Purito - Joaquim Rodriguez thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

07 Oct 2013 12:20

SafeBet wrote:Why do you think he can't win the Giro?
Comeptition won't be so stiff.

I think he can win, but it will not be easy. The big thing with Jrod is that for most years, he really focused on the classics AND Giro, so he could not be at fully 100% at the classics (because then you have difficulties to be at your best in the 3rd week of the Giro). And if he decides to be in really top shape at FW and LBL, perhaps he isn't that fresh at the end of the Giro.

If he decides to chase stage wins in the Giro, he can fully go for LBL, his most beloved classic.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

07 Oct 2013 12:46

SafeBet wrote:Why do you think he can't win the Giro?
Comeptition won't be so stiff.

Richie Porte

:p
webbie146

18 Oct 2013 10:16

Good interview with JRod on CN. Still very disappointed about the lost WC, that's for sure.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodriguez-worlds-defeat-will-stay-with-me-forever

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

18 Oct 2013 20:33

Can you blame him?
User avatar jsem94

18 Oct 2013 20:48

jsem94 wrote:Can you blame him?

No. I think he has every right. Even though he is trying to be wise about it, but he is still bitter. So, I'm not seeing he is going to ally with valverde in TDF. Good for contador then..:D
User avatar Jelantik

18 Oct 2013 21:44

I don't even think he will ride the Tour next year. After the Giro, I don't think he'll go for the Tour. The last big guys to have tried the Giro-Tour double were Evans (3rd Giro, autobus in the Tour), Basso (won the Giro, autobus in the Tour) and Contador who was 5th in the Tour after his brilliant Giro win in 2011.
User avatar jsem94

18 Oct 2013 23:20

jsem94 wrote:I don't even think he will ride the Tour next year. After the Giro, I don't think he'll go for the Tour. The last big guys to have tried the Giro-Tour double were Evans (3rd Giro, autobus in the Tour), Basso (won the Giro, autobus in the Tour) and Contador who was 5th in the Tour after his brilliant Giro win in 2011.

Murito wont do Giro Tour but Giro Tour aint neccesarily that hard. Basso and Contador were in the third epoch of the Zomegnan period, those courses were insane. These Aquareone Giros are 1 day races by comparison. Froome could easily pull a double off imo.

I mean Contador 2011 wasnt even that far off. Afterall he lost 1.20 minutes in the Mont des Allesoutes screwjob,and also had a weak team for the ttt lost 30 more seconds there, and those time losses combined were greater than his eventual time deficit to Frank Schleck in 3rd. Considering that was after podiuming 9 out of 21 stages in the hardest GT since television, it certainly seems possible to me for someone of that ability to win both in the modern era.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

19 Oct 2013 09:34

You make a fine point. The Giri after Zomegnan haven't been as brutal.

The Tour is probably the GT least suited to J-rod too though. He is much more suited for the Giro-Vuelta double imo.
User avatar jsem94

19 Oct 2013 10:19

Jelantik wrote:No. I think he has every right. Even though he is trying to be wise about it, but he is still bitter. So, I'm not seeing he is going to ally with valverde in TDF. Good for contador then..:D

Why would he ride the Tour? He can't win him, and he reached his goal (namely the podium). If he decides to do the double Giro-Vuelta, he has a chance to win one of them, and will arrive in better form at the Worlds. Jrod shows that without the Tour, you can be a top rider and build a big palmares.

I hope a lot of second-rate GT riders are going to see the light to.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

19 Oct 2013 10:24

jsem94 wrote:You make a fine point. The Giri after Zomegnan haven't been as brutal.

The Tour is probably the GT least suited to J-rod too though. He is much more suited for the Giro-Vuelta double imo.

A Zomegnan Giro with a soft-pedalled last week (apart from an hour and a bit of TTs and last km sprints at Sestriere and Macugnaga) and a Tour which took 2 weeks to get to the big mountains. And the first Massif that was not raced hard.

So no, he does not make a "fine" point.
User avatar roundabout

29 Oct 2013 10:58

Joaquim Rodríguez: “Mi gran objetivo es el Giro de Italia”

Kicks off in San Luis again and goes all-in come il Giro _O_
User avatar Flamin

29 Oct 2013 11:10

Flamin wrote:Joaquim Rodríguez: “Mi gran objetivo es el Giro de Italia”

Kicks off in San Luis again and goes all-in come il Giro _O_

so at least we have Porte vs J-Rod. Bodes very well.

Add Uran, Roche+Majka, Aru+Boots+Delfino etc. Line up coming together.
Dazed and Confused

29 Oct 2013 13:37

Dazed and Confused wrote:so at least we have Porte vs J-Rod. Bodes very well.

Add Uran, Roche+Majka, Aru+Boots+Delfino etc. Line up coming together.

+Evans,Pozzovivo,Valverde or Quintana,Basso,Dan Martin(if he will improve on longer climbs) and probably one of Niemiec and Ulissi.Also if Colombia will participate we can add Duarte as well.
Sorry for my bad english.
all_in

29 Oct 2013 16:03

Evans is clearly past it. If the key moutain stages were not cancelled, he would have not finished in Giro podium.

Pozzovivo or Niemiec are good for a Top 5, but will never be good enough to challenge for the top honours of GT.

Dan Martin is good on longer climbs, however he lacks recovery ( even Vaughters admits so and Dan admit so ) so if hes going its more for the stages and KOM maybe.

Ullissi is no GC contender in a GT at all yet. Neither is Duarte.

It's between Porte vs Purito vs Valverde/Quintana
Gloin22

29 Oct 2013 16:58

With Porte and Jrod, the Giro already have two topclass riders. Together with Valverde, and the familiar Italians like Pozzovivo, Pellizotti, Basso, Scarponi and Henao (Colombian ;)), you already have a strong field for Giro standards.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

29 Oct 2013 18:33

Arredondo wrote:With Porte and Jrod, the Giro already have two topclass riders. Together with Valverde, and the familiar Italians like Pozzovivo, Pellizotti, Basso, Scarponi and Henao (Colombian ;)), you already have a strong field for Giro standards.

Is Ryder doing the Giro? Don't think he will win but might be up there
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

29 Oct 2013 19:27

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Is Ryder doing the Giro? Don't think he will win but might be up there

Garmin, iirc, is gonna have Martin lead Giro, Talansky Tour, and Ryder Vuelta.
User avatar Afrank

29 Oct 2013 19:30

Afrank wrote:Garmin, iirc, is gonna have Martin lead Giro, Talansky Tour, and Ryder Vuelta.

Yeah, forgot about Dan.

Martin, Porte, Purito and Piti. Looking forward to the Giro:)

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

30 Oct 2013 07:27

Gloin22 wrote:Evans is clearly past it. If the key moutain stages were not cancelled, he would have not finished in Giro podium.

Pozzovivo or Niemiec are good for a Top 5, but will never be good enough to challenge for the top honours of GT.

I think Pozzovivo could get a podium- whether or not that is challenging depends.

Give Evans a bit more time- he did only start preparing for it with little notice. Also the last stage he had that "Mechanincal" (put it in quotes because some disagree) that cost him.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge

30 Oct 2013 08:35

greenedge wrote:I think Pozzovivo could get a podium- whether or not that is challenging depends.

Give Evans a bit more time- he did only start preparing for it with little notice. Also the last stage he had that "Mechanincal" (put it in quotes because some disagree) that cost him.

Very true about Evans i was very surprised how strong he was in the Giro considering he planned on doing the Tour and was supposed to be in extremely bad form, that was why he rode the giro according to him and team.

Pinot shouldn't be counted out either, he could be one of the best climbers in the giro and it seems he is very willing to work on his weaknesses.
Peter von

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing