Register

Purito - Joaquim Rodriguez thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

30 Oct 2013 11:28

Gloin22 wrote:Evans is clearly past it. If the key moutain stages were not cancelled, he would have not finished in Giro podium.

Pozzovivo or Niemiec are good for a Top 5, but will never be good enough to challenge for the top honours of GT.

Dan Martin is good on longer climbs, however he lacks recovery ( even Vaughters admits so and Dan admit so ) so if hes going its more for the stages and KOM maybe.

Ullissi is no GC contender in a GT at all yet. Neither is Duarte.

It's between Porte vs Purito vs Valverde/Quintana

Nibali clearly would have increased his lead if all the Giro stages were ridden in their entirety but I still think the podium would have been up for grabs. There was not much between the next four or five riders. I think the weather effected some more than others and Evans lost most of his time in the second TT. I think on paper Porte is the rider to beat in the Giro. As for Valverde, Evans, Rodriguez, Hejesdal and probably another five riders it should be a real battle for the podium. I think Majka is doing the Tour ?
movingtarget

12 Dec 2013 10:00

So Katusha will separate Moreno and Purito's calendar next season?
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=67873

who will help Purito in next year's giro? Spilak?
User avatar coimbrawu

12 Dec 2013 11:10

coimbrawu wrote:So Katusha will separate Moreno and Purito's calendar next season?

Don't think it will have much impact, unless J-Rod dons the pink jersey early in the race. Lots of controlled group riding in stage race these days and that benefits Purito immensely.
Dazed and Confused

13 Dec 2013 01:00

I wonder whether that means all races though?

Does anyone know if JROD will then do the Dauphinie after the Giro? In 2011 he rode well there but that might have hurt his Vuelta- probably the same with Samu this year.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

13 Dec 2013 01:06

greenedge wrote:I wonder whether that means all races though?

Does anyone know if JROD will then do the Dauphinie after the Giro? In 2011 he rode well there but that might have hurt his Vuelta- probably the same with Samu this year.

J-Rod is now only focused on Monuments, GTs and World. Fitting I would say. Sure he may go and pick up a check in Oman etc, but the guy understand whats important.
Dazed and Confused

13 Dec 2013 10:01

greenedge wrote:I wonder whether that means all races though?

Samu is just not the rider he was, so he wouldn't have made a impact in the Vuelta without Dauphiné either.

Jrod was strong in the first week of the Vuelta, but he just didn't have the form on the long climbs, and crashed hard in the third week.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

14 Dec 2013 15:07

Joaquim Rodriguez is probably going to come down next season... 5 consecutive years performing at the TOP, in the long run that's an extra weight for the legs, especially at his age...
User avatar Jason_Mercier

15 Dec 2013 01:48

Jason_Mercier wrote:Joaquim Rodriguez is probably going to come down next season... 5 consecutive years performing at the TOP, in the long run that's an extra weight for the legs, especially at his age...

There's always hope...
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

15 Dec 2013 07:42

Maybe he has even more motivation after being in the shadows for so long. Also in 2011 he was not as good as the last two years.

D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

15 Dec 2013 11:09

Netserk wrote:There's always hope...

Moderators, spoiler alarm!
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

15 Dec 2013 11:13

Jason_Mercier wrote:Joaquim Rodriguez is probably going to come down next season... 5 consecutive years performing at the TOP, in the long run that's an extra weight for the legs, especially at his age...

2014 is probably his last chance to win a big race. That's why he IMO should not do the Giro, because it will be harder for him to keep his good shape all year.
What he should do is peak at Pais Vasco, Liege and Romandie, perhaps also ride the Dauphiné, and then put in a monster peak for Vuelta + Worlds. Actually I'm kinda hoping he'll get slightly injured before the Giro so he won't be able to ride it, but Rodriguez knows his own body best...
User avatar Pentacycle

15 Dec 2013 12:42

Arredondo wrote:Moderators, spoiler alarm!

Moderators, crybaby alarm!

:rolleyes:
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

15 Dec 2013 19:28

J-Rod was the strongest rider coming out of '13. Nothing has changed team wise and his personal trainer is still Piepoli. Considering how everybody else continue to perform until bald or grey haired, there are no reason why he can't be at the same level in '14.
Dazed and Confused

15 Dec 2013 20:01

Pentacycle wrote:2014 is probably his last chance to win a big race. That's why he IMO should not do the Giro, because it will be harder for him to keep his good shape all year.
What he should do is peak at Pais Vasco, Liege and Romandie, perhaps also ride the Dauphiné, and then put in a monster peak for Vuelta + Worlds. Actually I'm kinda hoping he'll get slightly injured before the Giro so he won't be able to ride it, but Rodriguez knows his own body best...

I dont agree, sure he may think that he as unfinished buisness in LBL etc but but i feel he as greadually moved to being more of a Mountain climber than classics, sure he is still great in the hills, but what is important for him now? Imo he is know all about GT's in his mind after being so close, he proved last year he can ride 2 GT's back to back so i cant see it messing his shape up if anything it will be better than last year(of course his age may play apart but this is defo a better way to go about peaking) Giro/Vuelta is certainly better than Giro/Tour, especially if their is not as much MTF in La Vuelta(maybe 3 less MTF will actually help him) He will do the classics and hopefully take the form into the Giro but for me i would not fully peak for the Classics maybe even start season late, start in Tirreno/PaisVasco /Classics/Giro/Tour of Poland and then La Vuelta.

I do agree though time is defo running out he had to do the TDF for his own mind and he as ticked that box now i think he will never ride the TDF again unless he done a double GT win lol and thinks stuff it i can try for the TDF. I think he deserves a GT more than any other rider in the Peloton dont no what you lot think? 1 unlucky day in La Vuelta will haunt him on such an easy day aswell, it was close between Contador and Purito but Purito was defo better in that race.
Froome is the man get prepared for this in the next few years he is the best GT rider for long time.
User avatar TANK91

15 Dec 2013 23:44

TANK91 wrote:I dont agree, sure he may think that he as unfinished buisness in LBL etc but but i feel he as greadually moved to being more of a Mountain climber than classics, sure he is still great in the hills, but what is important for him now?

Well his results in LBL are still as good as his GT results.

Even if he is more of a mountain climber it is his punch that wins him most races, so therefore the Ardennes suit him to a tee- whether it is the one hill sprint or a few packed together.

He will still ride the Classics/ i doubt it would impact his Giro. Also if he didn't he would not be the rider most like for racing all season.

D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

17 Dec 2013 05:34

coimbrawu wrote:So Katusha will separate Moreno and Purito's calendar next season?

Good to see Moreno get a chance, and it'll be interesting to see what Spilak does also. Between the 3 with a long TT I'd like to see Spilak and Moreno go to the Tour and see how it progresses. Spilak has never had a good 3 week tour, but he didn't ride one last year when he was in great form. Looking at his one week races I don't think top 10 would have shocked too many people.
I'd think it completely reasonable for the 3 of them to ride 2 each, Spilak Giro/Tour, Rodriguez, Giro/Vuelta, and Moreno Tour/Vuelta.
karlboss

17 Dec 2013 08:47

karlboss wrote:Good to see Moreno get a chance, and it'll be interesting to see what Spilak does also. Between the 3 with a long TT I'd like to see Spilak and Moreno go to the Tour and see how it progresses. Spilak has never had a good 3 week tour, but he didn't ride one last year when he was in great form. Looking at his one week races I don't think top 10 would have shocked too many people.
I'd think it completely reasonable for the 3 of them to ride 2 each, Spilak Giro/Tour, Rodriguez, Giro/Vuelta, and Moreno Tour/Vuelta.

I think at least they should try it at first. But giro/vuelta (not both but just one) should be his realistic goal next season. giro and vuelta double is not real...
User avatar coimbrawu

17 Dec 2013 23:04

coimbrawu wrote:I think at least they should try it at first. But giro/vuelta (not both but just one) should be his realistic goal next season. giro and vuelta double is not real...

2012 giro/vuelta 2nd and 3rd...not much of a stretch to "aim" at winning both.
karlboss

18 Dec 2013 14:34

2008 Contador did the Giro-Vuelta double. 2012 Purito on the podium in both. 2013 Nibali won the Giro, 2nd in Vuelta.

Very possible for Purito to perform really well in both. Should podium both if he performs as he has for the last few years at least.
User avatar jsem94

18 Dec 2013 18:06

If Purito arrives at both the Giro and Vuelta in decent form he should make the podium in both. There aren't many GT riders capable of beating him on those hard climbs.
[font="Century Gothic"]@pricey_88[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Excited by the future, onboard the Yates' brothers bandwagon.[/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Mark Cavendish, 'fastest sprinter of all time' - L'Equipe.[/font]

JimmyFingers wrote:Ian Stannard no more, today he is christened Jan VandenStanerdt
User avatar Pricey_sky

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing