Register

¡Adiós!

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

10 Jul 2017 11:32

It's official. Malori retires from competitive bike riding.
User avatar Ricco'

10 Jul 2017 11:33

:(
Gloin22

10 Jul 2017 12:30

That's a tough one. Retiring at 29. But at least he appears to have his health.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re: ¡Adiós!

10 Jul 2017 12:44

What a shame for Malori , for Movistar and for cycling . He was always a good rider and had so much more to give.

Saw his tweet yesterday and thought that the announcement was likely. He tried so hard but it was just not to be. All my very best wishes to him for a happy and healthy future.
User avatar mariposa

10 Jul 2017 12:51

mariposa wrote:What a shame for Malori , for Movistar and for cycling . He was always a good rider and had so much more to give.

Saw his tweet yesterday and thought that the announcement was likely. He tried so hard but it was just not to be. All my very best wishes to him for a happy and healthy future.

I know that mallori had a very nasty crash but what were his injuries?
portugal11

10 Jul 2017 13:11

portugal11 wrote:
mariposa wrote:What a shame for Malori , for Movistar and for cycling . He was always a good rider and had so much more to give.

I know that mallori had a very nasty crash but what were his injuries?

Traumatic brain injury. He is lucky he is still alive.
Ikbengodniet

10 Jul 2017 15:33

Malori Announcement at the Tour (YouTube) [freely translated]:

"You wont be surprised at what I'm saying, but we all know what happened at San Luis in 2016, and I've spent the last two years fighting a battle against that day. At the end I've won that battle but not completely, and today my life as a professional cyclist ends. The goal I've had in my life is to do something special in the cycling world. If I can't do that as a cycling I'll do that another way."

"Today starts Adriano Malori 2.0. The last month I've been studying to be a DS, the Italian Federation and a couple of friends have been helping me a lot. And now we'll see how it goes."
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

10 Jul 2017 16:13

User avatar mariposa

10 Jul 2017 19:13

From what I've heard he'll work with the Italian federation.
He was one of Nairo's trusted domestiques and a good guy, a bit limited, but world class in a flat ITT.
I still remember when I argued with Dekker_Tifosi about him and Dumoulin in 2015, I claimed that he was better that Dumoulin in a long, flat ITT.
User avatar Mayomaniac

10 Jul 2017 23:32

Great to read that he has a gig lined-up.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

11 Jul 2017 16:03

Very sad on the one hand, I had always hoped he would become World-TT champion one day, but that fall could of course have ended much worse. Wish him all the best for the future!
kingjr

17 Jul 2017 15:13

Zubeldia to retire after San Sebastian.

From Trek's homepage
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

17 Jul 2017 15:21

RedheadDane wrote:Zubeldia to retire after San Sebastian.

From Trek's homepage
Noooooooooooo. I will never not see him on TV again. He will be missed.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do"
User avatar bob.a.feet

17 Jul 2017 16:18

Perfect time for it, in front of his home fans, in the one race where the cameras actively seek him out.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

18 Jul 2017 08:40

Not a very ninja way to announce his retirement.

I appreciate that he dressed a black shirt to appear in front of a black background, but it could have been better if he only released a statement on the dark web.

Zubeldia will be missed (for those who will remember that he retired), but we have another legend in the making with Louis Meintjes, who is going for the third GT top-10 without anyone noticing him.

Btw, another Euskaltel legend who is going away. With Samu retiring at the end of the year, the only ones left are Anton (who is not certain to continue also) and Nieve. Sadly, Landani came to proeminence only after leaving the carrots.
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

18 Jul 2017 11:03

Ricco' wrote:Not a very ninja way to announce his retirement.

I appreciate that he dressed a black shirt to appear in front of a black background, but it could have been better if he only released a statement on the dark web.

Zubeldia will be missed (for those who will remember that he retired), but we have another legend in the making with Louis Meintjes, who is going for the third GT top-10 without anyone noticing him.

Btw, another Euskaltel legend who is going away. With Samu retiring at the end of the year, the only ones left are Anton (who is not certain to continue also) and Nieve. Sadly, Landani came to proeminence only after leaving the carrots.

why will anton not continue?
Frankschleck

Re: Re:

18 Jul 2017 12:17

Frankschleck wrote:

Another carrot that retired this year ...Amets Txurruka
lejarreta

18 Jul 2017 12:49

Frankschleck wrote:

Well, if he doesn't stay with Dimension Data I don't see many doors on the WT opening up for him and he said multiple times that in the absence of a WT ride, the retirement is a possibility. In the end of 2015 he considered that, before signing with DD.
User avatar Ricco'

18 Jul 2017 12:55

Ricco' wrote:
Frankschleck wrote:

Well, if he doesn't stay with Dimension Data I don't see many doors on the WT opening up for him and he said multiple times that in the absence of a WT ride, the retirement is a possibility. In the end of 2015 he considered that, before signing with DD.

WGG looking for a mentor/help for martin in the mountains, bet you Hilaire would be interested
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

01 Aug 2017 11:05

Vicioso announces his retirement.

A crash with a car during a training ride 2 weeks ago cleared his mind. He will be at BickBanck next week, but he's not sure he will ride the Vuelta. His last race might be Lombardia.
https://as.com/ciclismo/2017/08/01/mas_ciclismo/1501578583_597620.html?omnil=resrelrecom
ice&fire

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing