• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Vuelta a Castilla y Leon

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
April 14th-18th

The web site is as cr@ppy as usual in many Spanish races :mad:
http://www.vueltacastillayleon.com/portal/inicio.php

Steephill has the same info with a more decent layout:
http://www.steephill.tv/vuelta-castilla-y-leon/

I've just found an article in marca.es listing some of the participants: Contador, Valverde -he's also listed in CdE roster for Amstel on the 18th -, Wiggins, Mosquera, Pereiro and Menchov. Cervelo and Radioshack are also in the list of teams but there is no info on who will be their leaders.

There is a MTF (Morredero from Ponferrada, 3rd stage) and a 15km ITT (4th stage). The rest is mostly flat and probably windy. I have no idea if it's the pollen season in the region.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
icefire said:
There is a MTF (Morredero from Ponferrada, 3rd stage) and a 15km ITT (4rd stage). The rest is mostly flat and probably windy. I have no idea if it's the pollen season in the region.

That Stage 3 looks like a lot of fun, with two Cat 1 climbs and the mountain finish. The TT looks bumpy enough to make Contador happy. According to twitter, he was dialing in his TT bike the other day. He's running out of stage races, so it would be good to get that first TT win of the season. Stage 5 has a bunch of smaller climbs and an uphill finish, so maybe the drama will last for the full race.

Pablo Lastras is leader for Caisse, and Juan Mauricio Soler is on the squad - I'd like to see him shake things up in the mountains.

Edit: I don't know about team leader, but Gert Steegmans returns to racing here, and the discussions should be lively thanks to participation of...

Tiago Machado.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
El Morredero is cool climb. I remember it from the 2006 Vuelta's early stages.

The TT is quite a bit shorter this year.

theswordsman said:
don't know about team leader, but Gert Steegmans returns to racing here, and the discussions should be lively thanks to participation of...

Tiago Machado.

*cue dramatic music*

craig1985 said:
If Cervelo are racing, any word on Sastre?

He said he only riding Catalunya before the Giro.
This race did have live tv and net feed last year, as Lord Pharmstrong turned up to fall off.
I wouldn't hold my breathe, seeing the Spanish track record, this season.

Tiago Machado will be defending both the faith and the Hog held title. (the little bald guy)

Mellow Velo said:
This race did have live tv and net feed last year, as Lord Pharmstrong turned up to fall off.

Tiago Machado will be defending both the faith and the Hog held title. (the little bald guy)
If I were Sastre, I'd want some more race days in before flying to Amsterdam. His form in Catalunya seemed to be... well, non-existent really.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
If I were Sastre, I'd want some more race days in before flying to Amsterdam. His form in Catalunya seemed to be... well, non-existent really.

According to his web page, Sastre is doing Amstel and LBL. There's nothing else in his plans before the Giro.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Half a dozen race days don't seem enough prep for the Giro. That is, unless he is just doing it for training and not care where he finishes or if he wins anything.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Podium Competition anyone?

1) Alberto Contador (MTF stage win, second in TT)

2) TIAGO MACHADO (i'm finally on board with this fella)

3) Denis Menchov (TT stage win)

DNF: Alejandro Valverde for Ardennes duties

Would like to see Menchov win, to be honest, but we just never know if he can keep the two rotating things on the surface for an extended period of time to cement it.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Astana for Castilla e Leon:
Alberto Contador (Spa)
David De la Fuente (Spa)
Jesus Hernandez (Spa)
Josep Jufre (Spa)
Daniel Navarro (Spa)
Benjamin Noval (Spa)
Gorazd Stangelj (Slo)
Sport manager: Guiseppe MARTINELLI

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
KazakhNeRider said:
Alberto Contador (Spa)
David De la Fuente (Spa)
Jesus Hernandez (Spa)
Josep Jufre (Spa)
Daniel Navarro (Spa)
Benjamin Noval (Spa)
Gorazd Stangelj (Slo)

Only 7 riders ?

KazakhNeRider said:
Alberto Contador (Spa)
David De la Fuente (Spa)
Jesus Hernandez (Spa)
Josep Jufre (Spa)
Daniel Navarro (Spa)
Benjamin Noval (Spa)
Gorazd Stangelj (Slo)

There is probably one guy missing--probably Fofonov or Tiralongo. I'm curious why they aren't giving Navarro a break. I swear he has ridden almost every stage race (save TA and Tour of Med). He could use a break IMO.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

One of the race sponsors is Castilla y Leon radio and TV. I've got a glimmer of hope for coverage.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Radio Shack:

Fumiyuki Beppu, Sam Bewley, Jani Brajkovic, Markel Irizar, Tiago Machado, Jason McCartney, José Luis Rubiera and Gert Steegmans.

Director: José Azevedo

I don't know why Astana was a man short on the press announcement. I just looked at Steephill from last year, and it seems a few teams started with seven. When Pereiro was training with Alberto and Jesus last week, I figured he would be here too. But even L'Equipe just lists the seven.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
There is probably one guy missing--probably Fofonov or Tiralongo. I'm curious why they aren't giving Navarro a break. I swear he has ridden almost every stage race (save TA and Tour of Med). He could use a break IMO.

Alberto just has the five days here plus the two classics before his own vacation. I guess Navarro felt strong enough to go this week, knowing his next stage race is the Dauphine in June? I was surprised to see him at Pais Vasco, though, especially since the team didn't try to do anything.

"This year the dates have been delayed and is advanced allergy. The forecast is for rain, but I hope to have fun

http://www.marca.com/2010/04/12/ciclismo/1271094624.html

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
What is a young talent like Janez Brajkovic doing, wasting his time at the Shack?
Leading a third string team in a third rate race, that's what.:(

He took the 2006 Vuelta yellow jersey after the Morredero stage finish. He might just want to bring back some good memories :p

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
stefrees said:
are sky still doing this? theyre listed as participating, yet on their official site theres no info at all?

They're not listed on the official site.
Astana
Caisse D'Epargne
Euskaltel Euskadi
Footon Servetto
Rabobank
Radio Shack
Cervelo Test Team
Andalucia-Cajasur
Xacobeo Galicia
Burgos 2016 Castilla y Leon
Caja Rural
Orbea
Barbot-Siper
LA-Rota Dos Moveis

Mellow Velo said:
What is a young talent like Janez Brajkovic doing, wasting his time at the Shack?
That's his chance to show he deserves more than this. He must get a place in one of the Grand Tours they're riding. Hopefully the Vuelta. That is the only way to mature as a GC man.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

He's waiting for Horner's decline to start leading the team in second rate races :D

TRENDING THREADS