• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 a review of the year and crystal ball discussion 2012

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
A thread to review the year and look forward to 2012.

Stage racer of the year.

One day rider of the year.

Rider of the year.

Individual stage of a stage race of the year.

Rider who improved the most.

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising.

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year.

Team of the year.

Who career should end now but will race 2012.

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012.

What are you looking for the most in 2012.

Most important moment season 2011.

And anything re 2011 and 2012.

Stage racer of the year: Contador, but Evans is close

One day rider of the year: Gilbert - 'nuff said.

Rider of the year: Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year: 17th stage in la Vuelta, very interesting battle between Froome and Cobo and also Voeckler fiercly defending the maillot jaune.

Rider who improved the most: Froome, Rojas, Van Avermaet, Sagan, Martin (both Tony & Daniel)

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising: Cobo, Rebellin

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year: Kittel, Ghyselinck, Sagan, Henao, Kruiswijk, Poels

Team of the year: Sky showed lots of depth and had some great results

Who career should end now but will race 2012: Freire, Menchov, Vinokourov, Millar, Horner, Popovych

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012: OmegaPharma-QuickStep should be able to do better than QuickStep's second to last place in the WT this season. Lots of great new talents. Also Skil should be able to perform even better than this season.

Stage racer of the year.

Cadel Evans

No contest is there even anypoint answering this question :p

Rider of the year.

See above

Cobo and Froome battling it out on stage 17 of the Vuelta

Chris Froome. although will be interesting to see whether it was a flash in the pan.

Bradley Wiggins. 3rd in Nice, 3rd in Vuelta, 2nd WC TT and won the Dauphine.
Dot think any of us would have predicted that after last year.

I expect Frandy's TTing to improve enough to warrent a massive thread on a different forum

Team of the year.

British Road Race team (trade teams I would go for Sky)

Its a toss up between a few but I will go for Freire

With all the mergers its hard to say but Quickstep springs to mind.

Stage 3 of the Giro. Put the rest of the season into perspective :(

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
1) Evans and Contador
2 & 3 Gilbert
4) Tour de Suisse stage to Grindelwald (Sagan & Cunego)
5)Froome
6)Cobo obvious choice
7)I'll hedge my bets here
8)HTC (MSR, clutch of stage wins and the World Championships double)
9)Sastre, Hunter, and to an extent Kloden (though he was good early season)
10) Quickstep, UHC and I hope Vacansoleil.
11)Evans winning the TdF (as that'll be the only onewhich gets coverage in lots of parts of the world)

Edit: reading the earlier post, stage 3 of the Giro and Soler in the TdS are the most important moments of the season.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Stage racer of the year. I will go for a draw between AC (Giro, 5th Tour, Catalunya, Murcia) and Cadel (Tour, Romandie, Tirreno, 2nd Dauphine)

One day rider of the year. Gilbert

Rider of the year. Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. TDF Pinerolo - Galibier. Epic

Matt Goss

Brad Wiggins
Matthias Frank - yes I am biased but I think he is quality and could do well in some big stage races.

Team of the year.
Unfortunately Sky.

Matt Wilson (I would of said Robbie Mc but he has ridden well recently)

BMC

Seeing my BMC boys improve and the first ever Australian Professional team hit the roads of France in July, it is about time.

Grenoble ITT TDF - The moment that made the impossible, (according to the experts) possible.

And anything re 2011 and 2012
I hope for an even better 2012 next year.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Stage racer of the year - Contador. His performance at the Giro was immense

One day rider of the year - Gilbert. Not a huge fan but can't argue with the year he's had

Rider of the year - see above

Individual stage of a stage race of the year - Gardeccia at the Giro, just epic. The finish at Pena Carbega was also fantastic.

Rider who improved the most - Wiggins

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising - Cobo. To go from being so disillusioned that he was considering retirement to winning your first GT - chapeau

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year - Frandy's TT will give the clinic a field day

Team of the year - BMC pulling back Cancellara at RVV, GB at the World's road race, Sky have improved a lot as well

Who career should end now but will race 2012 - Freire

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012 - would like Astana to have a better year next year

What are you looking for the most in 2012 - See if Froome can challenge in more GT's. Seeing how Sky manage all their resources and whose toys get thrown out the pram first - Wiggins or Cav ;)

Most important moment season 2011 - with Richeypen, WW's death was tragic and put everything else in perspective.

Stage racer of the year. Alberto Contador

One day rider of the year. Philippe Gilbert

Rider of the year. Marianne Vos

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. Giro d'Italia, stage 15

Rider who improved the most. Chris Froome

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising. Chris Froome

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year. Chris Froome

Team of the year. Movistar, for not throwing in the towel

Who career should end now but will race 2012. Mark Cavendish

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012. HTC-High Road. They've improved massively since yesterday already

What are you looking for the most in 2012. Stage races that don't suck, since there were very few of them in 2011

Most important moment season 2011. Wouter Weylandt. It was just so out of the blue, nothing else in the sport seemed so important anymore

And anything re 2011 and 2012. All this "greatest ever season" stuff is crap. 2011 was a really poor year for racing. We had some of the worst editions of Paris-Nice, the Dauphiné, Romandie, Castilla y León, Portugal and Catalunya in living memory, Gilbert made hilly classics far too predictable, the Giro was a foregone conclusion, the Vuelta decided to settle its GC after two weeks and the Tour forgot to start its GC until after two weeks. And all the while, race after race was being raced über-conservatively, and bunch sprints proliferated, while despite the most aggressive racing from the furthest out in GTs we've seen since Emanuele Sella got so high he could float up to the GPM points, Pat McQuaid continued in his unflinching goal to give us featureless, dull and irrelevant stage races in global places, while we lost a number of races, and to give us big budget monoliths at the expense of traditional teams, watching as national cycling scenes struggle and collapse under the weight of money required to compete internationally. 2011 was a horrible year for cycling and I'm glad it's over

Libertine Seguros said:
Stage racer of the year. Alberto Contador

One day rider of the year. Philippe Gilbert

Rider of the year. Marianne Vos

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. Giro d'Italia, stage 15

Rider who improved the most. Chris Froome

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising. Chris Froome

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year. Chris Froome

Team of the year. Movistar, for not throwing in the towel

Who career should end now but will race 2012. Mark Cavendish

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012. HTC-High Road. They've improved massively since yesterday already

What are you looking for the most in 2012. Stage races that don't suck, since there were very few of them in 2011

Most important moment season 2011. Wouter Weylandt. It was just so out of the blue, nothing else in the sport seemed so important anymore

And anything re 2011 and 2012. All this "greatest ever season" stuff is crap. 2011 was a really poor year for racing. We had some of the worst editions of Paris-Nice, the Dauphiné, Romandie, Castilla y León, Portugal and Catalunya in living memory, Gilbert made hilly classics far too predictable, the Giro was a foregone conclusion, the Vuelta decided to settle its GC after two weeks and the Tour forgot to start its GC until after two weeks. And all the while, race after race was being raced über-conservatively, and bunch sprints proliferated, while despite the most aggressive racing from the furthest out in GTs we've seen since Emanuele Sella got so high he could float up to the GPM points, Pat McQuaid continued in his unflinching goal to give us featureless, dull and irrelevant stage races in global places, while we lost a number of races, and to give us big budget monoliths at the expense of traditional teams, watching as national cycling scenes struggle and collapse under the weight of money required to compete internationally. 2011 was a horrible year for cycling and I'm glad it's over

Lol!:D:D:D

Stage racer of the year. Clearly Evans. Tirreno, Romandie, and le Tour, plus 2nd in the Dauphine.

Obvious Philippe Gilbert selection is obvious.

Rider of the year.
Again Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. Stage 15 of the Giro. Nieve's win.

Gold for Froome (from largely unknown to near GT winner) Silver for Kittel (from largely unknown top sprinter), Bronze for Martin (The Spartacus is dead, Long live the Panzerwagen)

Lulu Sanchez

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year. Think Pozzato will make a comeback. Don't ask me why, but I think he can do it.

Team of the year.
HTC

Vino obviously

Skil (or whatever they're called these days) has some swagger about them. I think they'll earn WorldTour status next season.

What are you looking for the most in 2012. Robert Gesink comes back from injury and wins the Vuelta. :p

Most important moment season 2011. Agree totally with earlier posters about Wouter Weylandt. As for a sporting moment: Evans winning the Tour. Always the biggest and most important moment.

just some guy said:
A thread to review the year and look forward to 2012.

Stage racer of the year.

Rider of the year.

Team of the year.

And anything re 2011 and 2012.

The off season is going to be so empty, I plan on opening polls on half these questions in the coming weeks. ;)

Stage racer of the year. Cadel Evans, probably

One day rider of the year. Mark Cavendish, because he won the biggest one day race in this season

Rider of the year. Philippe Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. Tour de France, Stage 18, Pinerolo - Galibier: Epic stage.

Rider who improved the most. Nick Nuyens, Chris Froome, Oliver Zaugg?

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising. Philippe Gilbert and Cadel Evans

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year. Roman Kreuziger, Frantisek Rabon, Jan Barta, Leopold Konig, Peter Velits, Martin Velits, Peter Sagan, Juraj Sagan.. and Sacha Modolo :D

Team of the year. Probably HTC-Highroad, but I would give that price to Leopard Trek for sure. :p

Who career should end now but will race 2012. Alberto Contador

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012. Quick Step

Most important moment season 2011. Giro d'Italia, Stage 3. I'll never forgot what happened that day, 9th May 2011.. :(

auscyclefan94 said:
Stage racer of the year. I will go for a draw between AC (Giro, 5th Tour, Catalunya, Murcia) and Cadel (Tour, Romandie, Tirreno, 2nd Dauphine).

Its a nice gesture from you to suggest one you hate so much was equal to Cadel, but dont worry you dont have to, Cadel has earned you the right to pick your man on this occasion;)

Moondance said:
Stage racer of the year. Clearly Evans. Tirreno, Romandie, and le Tour, plus 2nd in the Dauphine.

You on the other hand, since when did you become an Evans fanboy;)

You pick a 2nd place in the tt as the most awesome ride you witnessed all year and now say he was clearly the stage racer of the year while even ACF says its close between him and Contador.

BTW I do edge it to Evans too.

The Hitch said:
You on the other hand, since when did you become an Evans fanboy;)

You pick a 2nd place in the tt as the most awesome ride you witnessed all year and now say he was clearly the stage racer of the year while even ACF says its close between him and Contador.

As you acknowledge, he is objectively the winner. So I don't see why that is at issue.

I know you're semi-joking, but I was never his biggest detractor and have always explained my Evans hate as such: He had ability, but never seemed to properly use it, and his conservative style of riding (in the 2005-2009 period) was excruciating to watch. Guys who attack in the mountains have always been my favorites, as opposed to TTers with climbing chops. When he started to attack, and climb, as opposed sit and wait, my dislike of him faded. I'm a reasonable and rational person in that respect. I'd hardly call myself a fanboy though, and I will continue to make snide comments about him to poke the ACF crowd, which is always great fun.

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Stage racer of the year: Contador, Evans close second.

One day rider of the year: Gilbert

Rider of the year: Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year: Giro Stage 15.

Rider who improved the most: Gilbert

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising: Cobo

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year: Sicard

Team of the year: Team Sky

Who career should end now but will race 2012: Leiphiemer, EDIT: Rebellin

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012: AG2R

What are you looking for the most in 2012: Exciting racing, Cadel two Tours

Most important moment season 2011: Soler surviving.

Moondance said:
As you acknowledge, he is objectively the winner. So I don't see why that is at issue.

You say he was clearly the winner, while everyone else says its between Contador and Evans, so you are taking a more pro Evans position than the rest, even though the rest tend to be pro Evans in the first place.. Does what Contador did not register at all? So your being surprisingly pro Evans, more so than ACF in this case.

And you said a tt where he came 2nd was the most awesome performance youve seen this year.

Im not sure its possible to make the latter statement, in a year with so many 60k attacks, unless someone is a big Evans fan, even if only for a few months.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Stage racer of the year. Contador, the way he destroyed the Giro and tried to animate the Tour was great. Only two people to consider really, Evans & Contador :).

One day rider of the year. Doh...

Rider of the year. Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. Either stage 15 of the Giro or possibly the stage to Bilbao in Basque Country where Anton redeems his Vuelta by winning in Basque Country for the first time in 32(iirc) years.

Rider who improved the most. Chris Froome out of f'ing nowhere

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising. Contador after the rest day in the Tour de France, but discussions about this belong in da Clinic.

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year. Kruijswijk

Team of the year. Omega-Pharma Lotto, managing to deliver and get Gilbert in the position to allow him to all the time. Plus Vanendert winning in the Tour.

Who career should end now but will race 2012. Leipheimer

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012. BMC, if just for CQ cause buying Gilbert, Hushovd and other talents is just going to rack you in points.

What are you looking for the most in 2012. Able to fanboy for Gesink in August again ;)

Most important moment season 2011. Wouter Weylandt dying.

The Hitch said:
You say he was clearly the winner, while everyone else says its between Contador and Evans, so you are taking a more pro Evans position than the rest, even though the rest tend to be pro Evans in the first place.. Does what Contador did not register at all? So your being surprisingly pro Evans, more so than ACF in this case.

And you said a tt where he came 2nd was the most awesome performance youve seen this year.

Im not sure its possible to make the latter statement, in a year with so many 60k attacks, unless someone is a big Evans fan, even if only for a few months.

It was 'top rides of the year'. Not, 'most awesome ride of the year' or 'what ride involved the greatest or most sustained effort', or 'rider who soloed away for the longest'. Top rides. I chose as the main criterion for determining my #1 ride, which ride I deemed the most significant of the year, which the ride where the Tour winner won the yellow. In the case of this season it was the Grenoble TT for Evans. If Andy Schleck had won the Tour I would've named the Galibier stage as the ride of the year. Simple. My second chocie was the stage where Cobo won the Vuelta. Considering there wasn't a singular Giro stage where you can say Contador snatched victory I decided against naming one of his giro stages. Criterion wasn't used further, the rest were indeed just awesome or significant rides.

As for stage racer of the year Tour, Tirreno, Romandie trumps Giro, Catalonia, Murcia IMO. Sorry I feel that way, but in my book that is a clear win for Evans. That others (like ACF) decide to hedge between them is not my fault, I calls them like i sees them

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Stage racer of the year.Contador and Evans even

One day rider of the year.stupid ? Really but had to be asked Gilbert

Rider of the year.Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. Galiber stage

Rider who improved the most.D Martin

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising.Froome and Cobo

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year.Roelands and GVA

Team of the year.sky

Who career should end now but will race 2012. should get a few upset but Menchov

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012.BMC with new leaders and rider improvement to ride as a team and win a lot plus a shout to UHC

What are you looking for the most in 2012 return of Valverde.

Most important moment season 2011.many Soler crash and recovery WW death and stage after, return to the Basque for the Vuelta and the feds hitting Europe to investigate Armstrong may start the process to change the sport and remove fat pat from the UCI at the same time

The Hitch said:
You say he was clearly the winner, while everyone else says its between Contador and Evans

Everyone except me. ;)

Contador was clearly the best stage racer this year. No iffffffffffs and buts about it. Evans comes in second, but a distant second. Objectively so. Dauphine is a prep race! Not even Wiggo was on peak form. Evans was **** but still finished 2nd. Um, great?

Romandie? Please, Tony effing Martin finished 2nd. That about says it all.

People are quick to forget that Contador lost 1:48 because of a crash in the peloton and a team time trial. That would put him in 3rd place, only 35 seconds behind Andy Schleck. That's a monumental performance after a super hard Giro.

Not sure what some of you all are smoking. :p

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Everyone except me. ;)

Contador was clearly the best stage racer this year. No iffffffffffs and buts about it. Evans comes in second, but a distant second. Objectively so. Dauphine is a prep race! Not even Wiggo was on peak form. Evans was **** but still finished 2nd. Um, great?

Romandie? Please, Tony effing Martin finished 2nd. That about says it all.

People are quick to forget that Contador lost 1:48 because of a crash in the peloton and a team time trial. That would put him in 3rd place, only 35 seconds behind Andy Schleck. That's a monumental performance after a super hard Giro.

Not sure what some of you all are smoking. :p

And except me!! I agree with you. Evans had an awesome season, but the Giro win+Tour 5th does it for me. I wonder what Evans would have achieved if he had ridden the Giro.

Zaschrona said:
Stage racer of the year. Cadel Evans, probably

One day rider of the year. Mark Cavendish, because he won the biggest one day race in this season

Rider of the year. Philippe Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. Tour de France, Stage 18, Pinerolo - Galibier: Epic stage.

Rider who improved the most. Nick Nuyens, Chris Froome, Oliver Zaugg?

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising. Philippe Gilbert and Cadel Evans

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year. Roman Kreuziger, Frantisek Rabon, Jan Barta, Leopold Konig, Peter Velits, Martin Velits, Peter Sagan, Juraj Sagan.. and Sacha Modolo

Team of the year. Probably HTC-Highroad, but I would give that price to Leopard Trek for sure.

Who career should end now but will race 2012. Alberto Contador
Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012. Quick Step

Most important moment season 2011. Giro d'Italia, Stage 3. I'll never forgot what happened that day, 9th May 2011.. :(

:mad::mad::mad:

Stage racer of the year.
Alberto Contador.

Philippe Gilbert.

Rider of the year.
Philippe Gilbert.

Giro Stage 15 - Conegliano to Gardeccia/Val di Fassa.

Chris Froome.

Rider whose form reversal was the most surprising.
Chris Froome.

Devolder hopefully, and also Boonen.

Team of the year.
Omega Pharma-Lotto.

Andy Schleck, Levi Leipheimer.

Quick-Step.

Chavanel in pink to complete his collection. Moncoutie equalling Laguia’s 5 mountain jerseys in the Vuelta. It'd be nice for Vanmarcke to win one of the smaller classics and/or top 10 Roubaix. Txurruka's first pro win. Boonen & Devolder doing well hopefully.

Wouter Weylandt's death.

TRENDING THREADS