• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 1: Passage du Gois - Mont des Alouettes 191.5 km

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Is this a tad early? Maybe.
Am I ashamed? Not in the slightest.
---------------------------------
For only the 2nd time since 1967, the Tour de France will start with a mass-start stage instead of a prologue.
This year, the Tour de France grand start is back in France, with the first stages in the Vendee region.

With a ceremonial start (to the peloton's relief) on the Passage du Gois, this opening stage will be a rather flat run-in to the final finishing hill.

The Mont des Alouettes, 2.2 km @ 4.7%, will decide the first yellow jersey of the 2011 Tour de France.

Map:
CARTE.gif

Profile:
PROFIL.gif

Mont des Alouettes:
PROFILKMS.jpg

The Maillot Jaune Awaits!!

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
More Preview! (With Photos)

We probably won't see carnage on the Passage du Gois again.
INS_chuteTDF_017.jpg

Will the favorite, Phillipe Gilbert, continue his dream season?
Philippe_Gilbert-w_1879694c.jpg

Or will a strongman sprinter, like Thor Hushovd...
Thor-Hushovd-007.jpg

or Matt Goss, spoil his party?
Goss-Cancellara_1852873c.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
They should have the finishing sprint on the Passage :D

Too bad they won't re-live the 1999 stage, it was so decisive and such a spectacle :eek:

Will the riders protest even crossing it? I mean its not safe right :rolleyes:

Can't wait to get the TDF underway. Only stupid thing is no mountains until stage 12.

can it really hurt to do 1 serious mountain in the 1st week? Hills are nice but...now you get every contender peaking for the 3rd week. It would be funnier if they put 2 mt stages in week 1, 2 in week 2 and 2 in week 3...

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Its gonna be interesting how certain teams approach this stage, with the TTT the day after and Gilbert the big fav..OPL chasing every breakaway would certainly hurt their TTT perf and VDBs gc chances. Then there are teams like HTC and Garmin who could win the TTT and take the yellow jersey the day after so they have an interest in chasing breaks but also cant invest too much....could lead to a surprise winner

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
For me also Gilbert. He is unbeatable on such routes and such finishes. Only a miracle can cause that any other rider will win. For me Gilbert's win there, is as certain as it was for me before Giro that AC will win it.

Than Hushovd, Rojas, Kolobnev, Evans, Voeckler, Gesink, Tejay, Hesjedal and the rest of the bunch.

According to Dekker_Tifosi post I really like these first stages of Tour, when everyone is calm, there are nice views and nothing happens and at the end of each stage sprinters have their moment of glory - it's also needed on TdF and also for this I love watching and following le Tour.

Sophistic said:
Its gonna be interesting how certain teams approach this stage, with the TTT the day after and Gilbert the big fav..OPL chasing every breakaway would certainly hurt their TTT perf and VDBs gc chances. Then there are teams like HTC and Garmin who could win the TTT and take the yellow jersey the day after so they have an interest in chasing breaks but also cant invest too much....could lead to a surprise winner

Yeah its not the most straightforward situation. However, i think that OPL will not be too worried about the TTT, they will want to make sure they give Gilbert the best chance of winning the stage and getting yellow. They may lose an extra 20-30 seconds if working hard all the way through the stage but i think they would sacrifice that for the above. As for HTC, Garmin, Radioshack, Sky, they may have to work a bit but it may not cost them that much given its the first stage. Certainly the sort of situation that could cause a stand-off in the peloton but i think they will recognise their common goals and send a man to help bring back the break if need be. Lampre may be looking for Petacchi to get some decent points in the sprint to help his chances of green. Some teams may fancy the chances of someone taking a flyer late on, such as Voeckler, so will help. Not saying they'll succeed but the chance of yellow will cause many teams to put more effort in than for a normal stage.

Stage 1 2008:

1. [ESP] VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro GCE 4h36'07" 80
2. [BEL] GILBERT Philippe FDJ 01"
3. [FRA] PINEAU Jérôme BTL 01"

4. [LUX] KIRCHEN Kim THR 01"
5. [AUS] EVANS Cadel SIL 01"
6. [LUX] SCHLECK Fränk CSC 01"

7. [ITA] POZZATO Filippo LIQ 01"
8. [ESP] FREIRE GOMEZ Oscar RAB 01"
9. [ESP] PEREIRO SIO Oscar GCE 01"
10. [GBR] MILLAR David TSL 01"

*Ricco finished in between Kirchen and Evans

The bold will be returning for battle this year. Three years ago it was Schumacher attacking from around the flag, then Kirchen went, and finally it was Valverde who gave an impressive kick a couple of hundred metres from the line, whilst it was still a bit uphill. Gilbert was feeble, compared to what we now know him is. On this occasion he sat with the others and had the best reaction to Valverde, but it was well below what was necessary.

Back then, the finale started at 1700m remaining. A serious ramp slowed the pace right up and allowed the attacks to fly. Beyond that wall the climb did flatten out, and the last 1000m averaged 3.8%.

On Saturday the climbing begins at about 3900m remaining, but it is little more than false flat until around the 2000m mark. The final 1000m are at 5.0%.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
since Gilbert wins everything he enters.. he will probably take this one, but i kinda hope for a surprise winner (voeckler, boom, terpstra, txurruka)

There will be time gaps heading into the TTT, but they will be small, maybe 5-10s here and there, between groups.

The top teams in the TTT should all have someone only a few seconds down on Gilbert, so that they can still take yellow the next day.

HTC: Velits
Leopard: Schleck(s)
Sky: EBH
Garmin: Hushovd maybe or one of those three American GC fellows.
Radioshack: Horner

will10 said:
Romain Feillu
Or Bozic. Would actually be really cool if Vacans managed to snatch yellow in front of the fated one clad in black, yellow, and red.

Task_Force said:
since Gilbert wins everything he enters.. he will probably take this one, but i kinda hope for a surprise winner (voeckler, boom, terpstra, txurruka)
When did Boom last win an uphill sprint? Or when did Txurruka win... anything? ;)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
Does anyone know the percentages in the final K? If it's not too steep, I see Hushovd hanging on. But I hope Gilbert.

http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Mont-des-Alouettes&MountainID=11764

Someone feel free to insert this as an image, i give the **** up :mad:

Anyways, very hard to look past Gilbert here, especially since last 600 meters are in my opinion too steep even for the strongest sprinters (Thor, Goss etc.)

On-form Pozzatto or Ballan, or Sagan (Degenkolb?) might be better suited to this finish then Gilbert (especially considering the stage is very easy before it) but none of them are riding. I just dont that type of a rider in this TdF that is strong enough.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Or Bozic. Would actually be really cool if Vacans managed to snatch yellow in front of the fated one clad in black, yellow, and red.

When did Boom last win an uphill sprint? Or when did Txurruka win... anything? ;)

lol i said i liked to see that.. didnt say it was plausible :)

nesocip said:
http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Mont-des-Alouettes&MountainID=11764

Someone feel free to insert this as an image, i give the **** up :mad:

Anyways, very hard to look past Gilbert here, especially since last 600 meters are in my opinion too steep even for the strongest sprinters (Thor, Goss etc.)

On-form Pozzatto or Ballan, or Sagan (Degenkolb?) might be better suited to this finish then Gilbert (especially considering the stage is very easy before it) but none of them are riding. I just dont that type of a rider in this TdF that is strong enough.

lol cammon it isn't that hard . . . .

montdesalouettesprofile.jpg

just use

p.s. i see what the problem wasn't a jpg file. it was a popup window that also has publicity thats why the code wasn't working

looking at the profile i can't see past gilbert

TRENDING THREADS