• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 16 (18/7/2011): Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux - Gap, 162.5km

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
2011 Tour de France Stage 16 (18/7/2011): Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux - Gap, 162.5km

Main climb of the day: Col de Manse - 9.5km @ 5.2%

PROFIL.gif

PROFILKMS.jpg

CARTE.gif

General Classification after Stage 15
1 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 65:24:34
2 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:01:49
3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:02:06
4 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:02:15
5 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:03:16
6 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:03:44
7 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:04:00
8 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD 0:04:01
9 Thomas Danielson (USA) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:05:46
10 Kevin De Weert (Bel) Quickstep Cycling Team 0:06:18

Points Classification
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) HTC-Highroad 319 pts
2 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Movistar Team 282
3 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 248

Total of 50 points available. If Gilbert wants Green he is going to have to do something special on this stage.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Sanchez or Cunego to have a stab at taking time? A breakaway is most likely, wondering if Lotto or movistar will try to control things for the green jersey comp.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Very easy??? I wouldn't say that. Cav will be popped out the back no problem.

I meant GC men, Col de Manse is so very easy. Most of it is 1-2% with a couple km between averaging 5ish%. The descent will be more fun I reckon, someone will get away. I like LLS for this one.

in fact I wonder if tommy v tries something.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Phil to attack near Moydans? or wait for the Col?

Don't see Cav in on the finish. But I have no idea on the winner...

Phil/Thor/EBH...???

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
It's essentially a false flat for the first 81km. If a break goes, it's going to need to be of a decent size (at least 10 men), working well together to have any chance of reaching the finish. I could, however, be eating my words if Thor pulls out another effort like that the other day and does the same thing again.

Cimber said:
Does any1 knows if the decent is tecnically demanding? Cos if so, Tommy V and Sammy might attack on the decent.

The group will still be too big anyway; I guess Rojas will be able to make it over this climb. I can definitely see them trying something on stage 17, though.

Gilbert will be very difficult to beat here.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Looks like a nice stage for a breakaway win. If not - looks like a good stage for Thor/EBH/Gilbert or Sammy perhaps.

Imagine Europcar putting Rolland in the break and allowing a 10 minute gap, depending on who else is there of course.

think my namesake will go in a break on this stage or will try,but this is the stage for a break no mistake.... lotto have only 5 men chaseing back a break away an stated yesterday they won't do that ..so break will win by 6mins

my pick carrot to win ;)

ILOVEMTB said:
Can't see Cav making it to the finish, I think a break will take it if not Gossy, Thor or Phil.

I think he'll make the intermediate and then get dropped, but still comfortably make it to the finish. It's less than 1% to the first little climb, only 2% for 10km or so for the climb itself and then back to 1% or so up the intermediate and beyond. If the pace is brisk, he'll struggle, but it probably won't be. I guess he may work to make the intermediate and then catch a lift with the team car.