• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France - stage 3: Orchies - Boulogne-sur-Mer (197km)

tdf12st36001.jpg

tdf12st3profile36001.jpg

The race enters France, and it does so with a stage that can turn out to be one of the most exciting of this edition. The first 165km or so are what you can expect from a first week tour stage: helicopter shots of rolling fields, passing picturesque hamlets, a break of the day,... But this stage has got a sting in the tail, a very nasty sting. The finishline itself isn't the most difficult of this year's tour, but there are 5 categorised climbs in the last 35km and a 6th one (actually first one) that comes with 65 km to go.

Km 132.0 - Côte de L'Éperche, 0.7 kilometre-long climb at 6.9% - category 4
Km 163.5 - Côte de Mont Violette, 1 kilometre-long climb at 9.2% - category 3
Km 181.0 - Côte de Herquelingue, 1.7 kilometre-long climb at 5.8% - category 4
Km 185.0 - Côte de Quéhen, 1.4 kilometre-long climb at 5.9% - category 4
Km 190.5 - Côte du Mont Lambert, 1.3 kilometre-long climb at 8.4% - category 3
Km 197.0 - Boulogne-sur-Mer, 0.7 kilometre-long climb at 7.4% - category 4

tdf12st3profile3final60.jpg

Furthermore the narrow, twisty roads in the final, the predicted rain and southwestern crosswinds can turn this so-called flat stage into a carboncopy of one of the spring classics. Both the puncheurs and the favourites for the GC have to be very attentive, the former because this will be one of the very few occasions they get for eternal glory during this tour, the latter because any second can count.
The very same roads have been the setting for the french road championships last year, where Sylvain Chavanel destroyed all competition. A few years earlier Chavanel also won the 4 jours de Dunkerque en route to Boulogne. Will he prevail once again, or will the likes of Alejandro Valverde, Philippe Gilbert or Peter Sagan snatch the stage victory?
Can riders like Evans or Nibali take a bit of time on Wiggins, can Menchov hold his own in a hectic final, will Cancellara retain the yellow jersey?

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hoping for a Valverde win.
No Sagan, please.

Also predicting Morkov and Hoogerland in the breakaway fighting it out for mountain points

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Dan Martin will be able to fight for his right, to paaarty... and to win. And it could be interesting what can do the GC contenders.

Geraint Too Fast said:
Dan Martin! :D
Good, I'm not the only one :D

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
what are you top 15?

I am thinking:
sagan,
gilbert
EBH
valverde
gerrans
cancellara
chavanel
mollema
nibali
evans
albasini
JVDB
vandendert
gesink
hesjedal

What do you guys think?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Gilbert ftw, he showed on stage one that he finally has the form to win on uphill sprints by winning the bunch sprint. I wonder if we might see Cancellara making another breakaway attempt, if so then he has a good chance.

There's a double bend (45º left - 90º right) only about 200-250m out, so positioning from that will be absolutely vital, leading out could be either problematic, or a good leadout could just baulk a few other contenders "without really meaning to" - not enough to cause any problems, just enough to give their man a bit of room to work with.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree, this could very well turn out to be a fatall stage for some of the gc riders, this finish is even more tricky than yesterday, and if it rain it could end up nasty.

Albasini
Gilbert
Cancellara
Sagan
EBH

Evans gonna take time back on Wiggo.

I doubt Riis let Mørkøv go for another breakaway, but he might send out Lund or Nicki instead.

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to this stage - the last 20k will hopefully give us some nice action.

Top favorites in my view is: Gilbert, Sagan and Canc.
Challengers: EBH, Valverde, Evans, Gerrans and Chavanel.

Think Gilbert just might win this one.

TRENDING THREADS