• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Stage 6; Golden to Boulder,165.5 km

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Stage 6; Golden to Boulder,165.5 km

UPC-2012-Stage-6-Profile.pdf

Stage 6 offers the hope of a great final on the climb of Flagstaff, but after a flat route up from the start at Golden, passes up Sugarloaf Road as it turns into the "foothills" of Front Range. Sugarloaf Road would offer a 2 km 300 m sector of about 15% at about 45kms into the stage. After turning north at Nederland the course does include a similar 2.5 grade, but without the double offer of the Sugarloaf route. The route opts instead for a shallow course along Boulder Canyon up to Nederland. Then it flirts with 2800 meter for 5 km along the Peak to Peak Highway until starting 40 km descent to Lyons after crossing the James Creek.

At Lyons the turn back south to Boulder is made. There is one more rise up to the Lea Hill Road which offers of short kicker of 8% for about a kilometer but it is still some 18 k to the base of the day's final uphill and unlikely to produce a winning move, but a I would appreciate a big move from someone like Nibali to force a selection of the GC leaders who might start to look at each other and would make for a better race.

The final climb on Flagstaff Road- 5.63 Km at 6.5%, but with reported steeper sections up to 20%, will be the focal point of attack for the main GC contenders, and course, time taken can only help the final ITT effort on Sunday in Denver.

No doubt, there will be teams who want riders in an early break so the early action available on the tracker will be good. Will we see Jens again? The section on Sugarloaf road looks like a great dig, but as said, it was not included. These steep grades have be bypassed during this race. This would have been an early danger point in a race that other wise looks to come down a main group and a final climb. I hope I am wrong.

I would appreciate input form locals who know the route better as I have relied on the maps provided. The climb distances and grades are estimates as start and stop points may differ.

Live streaming; http://radioshacktourtracker.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/ 11:10 am MST, 1:10 pm EST

http://www.steephill.tv/2012/usa-pro-cycling-challenge/photos/stage-05/

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Maybe somebody will eventually ride away from the others and create some gaps. I'd be happy with ten seconds.

Tim Duggan, George Bennette and any one else others in that two-minute group could make for a dangerous break. I would like to see some implosion on this stage, but I think it's going to be a parade until the last climb. It should be enough of hill that I think there will be some gaps, but you might not get more than the ten seconds either way.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
As I thought a break with large break with Duggan, Howes and Bennett....Voigt again. Most notable Colorado at :42 BMC absent!

A pretty decent start. The break has 2:35.

Colorado beign pulled up the road unkowning? Or is he there at all. Voigt being told, hey?

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
BMC has egg on its face again. I would like to see Tejay win, but this a dagerous move with Colorado there. RSNT won't mind with others except for Howes on Garmin.

Howes now being told to ride the bus.

Lol what a blunder in the text commentary

Don't forget that Timothy Duggan is here with the rest of our leaders. He's the best placed rider on GC at 2:38. That makes him our virtual yellow jersey. The break has less than 1km to go to the Nissan KOM of Boulder Canyon.

Forgetting that Colorado is at 42 seconds??

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Didn't know they built a bridge across the Atlantic Ocean.....

According to Google Maps you can always kayak across the Atlantic Ocean...

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Lol what a blunder in the text commentary

Don't forget that Timothy Duggan is here with the rest of our leaders. He's the best placed rider on GC at 2:38. That makes him our virtual yellow jersey. The break has less than 1km to go to the Nissan KOM of Boulder Canyon.

Forgetting that Colorado is at 42 seconds??

According to Google Maps you can always kayak across the Atlantic Ocean...

Lol, that's funny. I getting tired of the hometown babble of the commentators as well. Boulder. Boulder. ugh!

Howes wants to work. He should be sitting on. He's getting an earful from the car.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody know if anything happened with BMC's complaint about the time gap on the 2nd stage? It looked like Van Garderen was at least 1-2 seconds ahead of Vande Velde. It also looked like he had a second or two gap on Vande velde on stage 4?

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Does anybody know if anything happened with BMC's complaint about the time gap on the 2nd stage? It looked like Van Garderen was at least 1-2 seconds ahead of Vande Velde. It also looked like he had a second or two gap on Vande velde on stage 4?

They remain the same on time still. I think they waited too long to lodge the complaint.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
this stage has epic written all over it. good luck van garderen getting colorado back

It may be close, but I think they will get caught as other teams begin to help.

They could of had another climb or two in the final 25 km.

But it would great if they did not.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
It may be close, but I think they will get caught as other teams begin to help.

They could had another climb or two in the final 25 km.

But it would great if they did not.

there are no teams helping

TRENDING THREADS