• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta a España: Stage 3: Faustino V → Eibar (Arrate) (155,3km)

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Was a good stage, nice to see some attacks once the roads started to point upwards. Not a revelation and its early yet, but this Vuelta looks like it will be the best of the three grand tours this year.

I also remembered how much more exciting it can be when Contador races.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Cobra said:
Who knows a GT is 3 weeks long and wasting huge amounts of energy is not the best idea. It should have been obvious he wasn't getting away and saved energy. Not as entertaining for us if he did that, but smarter tactically.

Oh he wasnt saving energy. He was going deep to close that gap. And trust me, if he could follow Contador immidiately he would have, just to send him a psychological message. No way in hell he let himself gap voluntarily. Saying so is just damage control on his part. As I said this first week was his time to put time into Bertie

May 2, 2010
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
Not really. Piti had one attack, which was brought back in seconds. Bertie had a few goes, which never threatened to last any longer and he managed to lose time to Froome. Where's the fun in that?

I for one enjoyed the Spaniards stinging Froome and his team. Too tired of the frigging SKY train over the whole crappy Tour. Make 'em bite the dust, muchachos!

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
Was a good stage, nice to see some attacks once the roads started to point upwards. Not a revelation and its early yet, but this Vuelta looks like it will be the best of the three grand tours this year.

I also remembered how much more exciting it can be when Contador races.

Ye I like how they build it up. Today's climb wasnt long enough and tomorrow's climb isnt steep enough for big gaps. Thereby the organizers keeps to suspense intact

Everybody still upset about Robert Millar?

Contador isn't in full form yet, Froome is very good, and this isn't a climb that produces big gaps anyway, and guys like Valverde and Rodríguez can be confident that the run-in suits them better than Alberto and Froome.

Let's wait until something actually significant happens before we start crapping on a whole nation again.

The Cobra said:
I dont think Froome was struggling. He always looks like that when climbing, he's not graceful like Contador. Also as I say, he has no punch so no surprise he got gapped, but bridged that gap quickly every time.

What's up with all these top hill riders getting accused of having no punch
first anton is some basso like tempo rider, now froome, the guy who zooooomed away from cobo on short steep pena cabarga has no punch.

I didn't see.much of the tour this year but i saw him win planche des belles filles and accelerate with ease from everybody a bunch of.times before being called back by wiggins.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
sartoris said:
I for one enjoyed the Spaniards stinging Froome and his team. Too tired of the frigging SKY train over the whole crappy Tour. Make 'em bite the dust, muchachos!

+1, for once we get to see some guys who can derail the sky train.

Libertine Seguros said:
Everybody still upset about Robert Millar?

Contador isn't in full form yet, Froome is very good, and this isn't a climb that produces big gaps anyway, and guys like Valverde and Rodríguez can be confident that the run-in suits them better than Alberto and Froome.

Let's wait until something actually significant happens before we start crapping on a whole nation again.

Not me, never was either in the sense you are suggesting. That's racing. Not sure what you are reading here that I'm not, other than strong home riders and teams flexing some muscle and some, like me, liking it:)

Cimber said:
When he is on top he is the one who likes to attack, not the one being gapped having to fight back. And this first week is where he needs to shine and put some time into Contador. He cant rely on the TT. To many crazy hard MTF in the last week. I had expected Froome to put pressure in Contador today tbh, not the other way around

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's so, so early. The Vuelta route is remarkable in having a cat. 1 finish already and having ten uphill finishes overall. Crazy. After just three stages we're already seeing some gaps. No waiting until halfway through a GT to see some excitement here. Who can bring it on the most difficult stages late in the Vuelta though? Today doesn't answer that question.

On the other hand, for those saying today didn't make big time gaps... it was still significant. Every rider outside of the top 15 on the stage lost 47 seconds or more. The defending champion lost 50 seconds. Menchov lost 1:52 (did he burn out working for Purito? I didn't see.). It's not to be dismissed easily.

The Cobra said:
After finally watching the stage I'm more convinced then ever Froome will win this Vuelta.

You must be kidding

Contador's belly is full of anger and he gave it everything he had today and achieved.... not a lot. Clearly he is not in his best shape and is certainly beatable. I was unsure whether he would come back with unbeatable form like in 2009 Tour/2011 Giro but luckily for the betterment of the race he significantly below that.

Alberto will become better while Froome will get worse.

Froome says he was in control and I believe him. He spins such a tiny gear that he has no punch. Compared to Wiggins he has yes, but compared to classics guys like Piti and Jrod no, not at all. If he was really on the limit no way would he have been able to keep closing the gap down in a matter of seconds every time.

Come on this was the stage Froome should've slaughtered Alberto if he was really that good. Alberto will only become better.

Froome should defend then crush them in the TT.

Crush Alberto in the TT *facepalm* Alberto will lose little time there.

Pleased to see Valverde looking is super shape, a second place on GC behind Froome would be sweet. With JRod too this is going to be a great race!

Ahead of Alberto who is a much better TTist and will drop him in several occasions? Lol.

Alberto
Froome +0'30"
Purito +2'
I say.

The Cobra said:
Who finished ahead of who today again??? :eek:

Yeah a downhill sprint was surely good to measure who is the strongest :rolleyes:

The Cobra said:
I dont think Froome was struggling. He always looks like that when climbing, he's not graceful like Contador. Also as I say, he has no punch so no surprise he got gapped, but bridged that gap quickly every time.

Of course he has a punch lol, did you watch Vuelta last year?

The Cobra said:
Who knows a GT is 3 weeks long and wasting huge amounts of energy is not the best idea. It should have been obvious he wasn't getting away and saved energy. Not as entertaining for us if he did that, but smarter tactically.

And that's why I love Alberto and not Wiggins or Froome. Alberto always tries to entertain the viewer and himself.

But I get it, you are a fanboy judging by your comments, your userpic and your country.

The Cobra said:
let me see: Froome the tactician has yet to win a single GT having raced as long as Alberto has who won so many that organizers and opponents can only win by taking him down on the carpet or disqualifying him on some bogus charges. When it comes to tactics I will wait for the end and discuss later over a glass of wine

I'm convinced Froome will fade out of GC contention week by week, the posters below see what they want to see.

Libertine Seguros said:
Froome is very good, and this isn't a climb that produces big gaps anyway.

Forunculo said:
I agree with Cobra Froome is gonna be very hard to beat, at least for this short-form version of Contador.

The Cobra said:
I dont think Froome was struggling. He always looks like that when climbing, he's not graceful like Contador.

froome.jpg

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Dedelou said:
let me see: Froome the tactician has yet to win a single GT having raced as long as Alberto has who won so many that organizers and opponents can only win by taking him down on the carpet or disqualifying him on some bogus charges. When it comes to tactics I will wait for the end and discuss later over a glass of wine

When you have twice the strength of everyone else there's no need for tactics. When you are below top form and unable to dominate your rivals thats when a rider needs to start using his brain to get an advantage. Contador has got a lot to learn.

still long until it's decided this vuelta.on that triple challenge(ancares-covadonga-cuitu negru),it will be decided.there i think we will see a stronger alberto

the time ascent for the statistics fans
2012:5,5 km@7,8%---14:24---average speed 22.92 km/h(Contador-Valverde-Rodriguez-Froome)
2012:5,5 km@7,8%---14:38---average speed 22.55 km/h(Horner-S.Sanchez-Rodriguez)
2011:5,5 km@7,8%---14:28---average speed 22.81 km/h(Xavier Tondo)
2010:5,5 km@7,8%---13:58---average speed 23.63 km/h(Chris Horner)

from the camino de arrate crossroad,they did 12:58. back in 2009,alberto launched by an astonishing papy horner,flew away in 12:12

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
still long until it's decided this vuelta.on that triple challenge,it will be decided.there i think we will see a stronger alberto

Yep, the 2nd half of the Vuelta by far the toughest and thats a huge advantage for Bertie. Also there is still a long way to the TT and it has a climb. Froome and Purito should try to gap Contador in the first week, but judging from today's stage it will be hard for them to do

btw anyone surprised by the lack of crowds? Last year ok it was to Bilbao but crowds were as good as they are anywhere in cycling. They also get epic crowds in Pais Vasco. This was the only day in Vasco (right?) and i saw less crowds than in a cyclosportiff.

The Cobra said:
When you have twice the strength of everyone else there's no need for tactics. When you are below top form and unable to dominate your rivals thats when a rider needs to start using his brain to get an advantage. Contador has got a lot to learn.
yeah we heard that from the brunyel but I think the others are running out of years to finally teach him. Look at the body count behind him : from A to z.. Amstrong, Basso, the schlecklets, and all the others. Froome may be the next casualty

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The Cobra said:
After finally watching the stage I'm more convinced then ever Froome will win this Vuelta.

Contador's belly is full of anger and he gave it everything he had today and achieved.... not a lot. Clearly he is not in his best shape and is certainly beatable. I was unsure whether he would come back with unbeatable form like in 2009 Tour/2011 Giro but luckily for the betterment of the race he significantly below that.

Froome says he was in control and I believe him. He spins such a tiny gear that he has no punch. Compared to Wiggins he has yes, but compared to classics guys like Piti and Jrod no, not at all. If he was really on the limit no way would he have been able to keep closing the gap down in a matter of seconds every time. Froome should defend then crush them in the TT.

Your posts are a complete MEGALOL, dude! :D You made my day !!! Keep up the good work!
Sound_of_Laughter_by_hersley.jpg

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
still long until it's decided this vuelta.on that triple challenge(ancares-covadonga-cuitu negru),it will be decided.there i think we will see a stronger alberto

the time ascent for the statistics fans
2012:5,5 km@7,8%---14:24---average speed 22.92 km/h(Contador-Valverde-Rodriguez-Froome)
2012:5,5 km@7,8%---14:38---average speed 22.55 km/h(Horner-S.Sanchez-Rodriguez)
2011:5,5 km@7,8%---14:28---average speed 22.81 km/h(Xavier Tondo)
2010:5,5 km@7,8%---13:58---average speed 23.63 km/h(Chris Horner)

from the camino de arrate crossroad,they did 12:58. back in 2009,alberto launched by an astonishing papy horner,flew away in 12:12

Very interesting, has been a slow climb so Contador attacks were fakes

The Hitch said:
btw anyone surprised by the lack of crowds? Last year ok it was to Bilbao but crowds were as good as they are anywhere in cycling. They also get epic crowds in Pais Vasco. This was the only day in Vasco (right?) and i saw less crowds than in a cyclosportiff.

Tomorrow's stage starts in País Vasco too, but finishes in Rioja. Arrate always has that weird kind of flat patch where all the fans gravitate to the steep patches just before the Alto de Ixua, and the descent is pretty much unmanned. There was also a not particularly helpful and surly police presence at a few stretches (particularly around the 3k to go banners).

A lot of Basques also made the trek to Pamplona for the Grand Départ - while the Basque identity of Pamplona is more than you might expect (especially if you believe Señor_Contador's postings about how everybody in Navarre is pro-Spain), Euskaltel got the noticeably best reaction from the crowd at the start and there were lots of Basque flags and various signs (although Movistar was the most popular team in general). But the main thing that hurt it is probably that it's Aste Nagusia in Bilbao this week, so lots of festivities and celebrations going on there.

Forunculo said:
Very interesting, has been a slow climb so Contador attacks were fakes

No, not fakes. They were genuine to a point. I'm sure Alberto was just sparring to see what he was up against and I'm very sure his conclusion must be that this is a catchweight as far as Froome is concerned.

TRENDING THREADS