• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta a España: Tarazona – Jaca, 175 km

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
2012 Vuelta a España: Tarazona – Jaca, 175 km

mapa6.jpg

6_perfil.png

The route looks flat but it´s up and down all day, perhaps another day with potential sidewinds. The last 2 back-to-back 3rd category climbs is not very tough but Fuerte del Rapitán (3,8 km, 5,4 %) should be an invitation for riders like Joaquin Rodriguez, Philippe Gilbert, Alejandro Valverde, Alberto Contador etc.

Don´t think a breakaway will be allowed to finish this, due to the bonus seconds for the gc guys, and maybe Valverde have a plan to take revenge and take the jersey back.

Valverde FTW. :)

May 12, 2010
Visit site
On the profile on the Vuelta website it looks like the last km is 3 or 4% at best. Looks like a stage for Valverde (the 2011 Gilbert would have been unbeatable here, but alas).

LaFlorecita said:
They don't ride the last 12% bit right :(

Well, at the picture it ends at 1110 meters (vertical), but the profile says 1070. So it's ~500m before the top (I would guess where the little picture within the picture points), but then again the stage profile looks like it flattens out a little to the end.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how the pace will be on the 3th cat climb.

Anyway Purito is favorite. I think saxo plan is to wait untill saterday but Contador won't be able to resist xD

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i am securing co-workers phones for streaming. i need to stop by the store and get a gizmo that will take the video from the phone and put it on my monitor.

Except for that steep 12% part at the end I can't see Alberto going for it, not his preferred %, but he does what he thinks is right at the moment. One of the things that makes it great to watch him. He calls awesome audibles! :)

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
i am securing co-workers phones for streaming. i need to stop by the store and get a gizmo that will take the video from the phone and put it on my monitor.

Except for that steep 12% part at the end I can't see Alberto going for it, not his preferred %, but he does what he thinks is right at the moment. One of the things that makes it great to watch him. He calls awesome audibles! :)

The hairpins avoid any steady pace, so it could go against Froome. Puncheurs like Valverde and Purito have a good chance at this climb.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
One of very few stages to actually make a tactical move before the final ascent. Hopefully something will happen there. I wonder if that descent of Oroel is any difficult.

I'd be surprised to see any of the big guns move on the penultimate climb given the plateau at the top of the climb. Hope so mind!

TRENDING THREADS