• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Weakest World Tour Team

toolittle said:
Vacansoleil-DCM is my choice.

Skil-Shimano, Europcar, FDJ, Cofidis. All possible new world teams seems to be stronger than Vacasoleil-DCM
Depends on what you call "stronger". Skil will probably get more wins, because they have Kittel. But most of their other riders suck balls, whereas Vacansoleil have a pretty decent team overall.

GreenEdge will surely be the worst team when it comes to climbing/GC! They'll be even worse than 2010 Sky, like every time a hill approaches you will just know that 8 greenedge riders will immediatly get shot out the back :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Woet Poels is going to Gadret the Giro and Marco Marcatto will win a classic and set up lots of sprint wins for Bozic.

We need some more Italians at the Ronde van Vlaanderen again. Marcato would be a fine addition. Wondering if Farnese Vini will get an invite at the Ronde, but that's a bit off topic :p

As for Wout Poels, he really needs to stop thinking about riding a good GC. He doesn't have it in him and never will(he'd be a Cunego 2011 at best). I hope he focuses on the classics even though he already said he wants to improve in Grand Tours.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Shardi said:
gotta be GreenEdge.

I'm going with GreenEdge too. They seem to be very one dimensional and not exceptionally talented in that one area either to separate them from the teams that will be giving them opposition for their wins. They'd be wise to pile on the wins in the early season ala Cofidis because they'll be in short supply later.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
Greenedge. But before signing Martin quickstep haven't been great lately either

Peter Velits(Tour next year is suited for him), Leipheimer(had a great year and Tour is suited for him), Tom Boonen(he'll bounce back), Sylvain Chavanel(favorite for the cobbled classics, can win Tour stages), Tony Martin, Stybar, etc

Even without Martin they wouldn't be the weakest by a long shot.

El Pistolero said:
As for Wout Poels, he really needs to stop thinking about riding a good GC. He doesn't have it in him and never will(he'd be a Cunego 2011 at best). I hope he focuses on the classics even though he already said he wants to improve in Grand Tours.
Yeah, I think we can write him off, after just having finished 17th in his first GT :rolleyes:

He faded away towards the end, because Vacansoleil don't know how to give a young rider a non-overloaded race schedule.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yeah, I think we can write him off, after just having finished 17th in his first GT :rolleyes:

He faded away towards the end, because Vacansoleil don't know how to give a young rider a non-overloaded race schedule.

17th at the Vuelta is like what? Lanterne Rouge at the Tour?(hypberbole)

He faded away because he's not a real climber. The guy has punchy written all over him. To throw that potential away for a 7th place or something at the Tour is ridiculous. At least there's still a few sane Dutch pros left that realize there's something besides the Tour.

El Pistolero said:
17th at the Vuelta is like what? Lanterne Rouge at the Tour?(hypberbole)

He faded away because he's not a real climber. The guy has punchy written all over him. To throw that potential away for a 7th place or something at the Tour is ridiculous. At least there's still a few sane Dutch pros left that realize there's something besides the Tour.
Until the Vuelta, I also thought that he was more of a puncheur. But if you watched the Vuelta, you've seen that longer climbs do in fact suit him as well. A bit like Fränk Schleck.

I'm sure that he'll give the Ardennes classics a try as well, but so far he hasn't had any success at all in one day races.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Until the Vuelta, I also thought that he was more of a puncheur. But if you watched the Vuelta, you've seen that longer climbs do in fact suit him as well. A bit like Fränk Schleck.

I'm sure that he'll give the Ardennes classics a try as well, but so far he hasn't had any success at all in one day races.

But how much of an example is the Vuelta with their mountain stages of only 1 mountain and all the rest flattish? It also had a lot of punchy finishes. Rebellin could also climb well from time to time, but he chose for a career in the classics. Smart choice IMO.

If he does it in the Giro or Tour I'll take my words back.

El Pistolero said:
But how much of an example is the Vuelta with their mountain stages of only 1 mountain and all the rest flattish? It also had a lot of punchy finishes. Rebellin could also climb well from time to time, but he chose for a career in the classics. Smart choice IMO.

If he does it in the Giro or Tour I'll take my words back.

I do like your comment about 17th in the Vuelta being like Lantern Rouge in the Tour, because youngest did once say that 1st in the Giro is like 5th or 6th in the Tour, and obviously the Vuelta is even lesser so a win in the Vuelta is already like 20th in the Tour (if you follow the logic) and then 17th in the Vuelta would be, well first person to get eliminated probably:p

But Poels brilliance came not on the GC.

It was seen on Alto de Angiliru.

He came 2nd, ahead of Froome and Menchov, half a minute ahead of Wiggins fighting for the red. Ahead of Nibali, Purito, Nieve etc.

John Gadret only came 13th in the 2010 Giro. But he came 3rd on Kronplatz, 10th on Zoncolan and in the Evans group on Mortirolo.

I thought I was seeing someone with real potential. And we get a guy who finishes 20 seconds behind Contador on the hardest mountain stage in modern cycling.

You dont come 3rd in a Kronplatz tt by mistake, just like you dont come 2ndf on Angirilu by mistake. Its all talent.

Back to Poels, his overall gc needs some polishing yes. But a guy who comes 2nd on Angirilu, has real real potential.

Remember the name.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I do like your comment about 17th in the Vuelta being like Lantern Rouge in the Tour, because youngest did once say that 1st in the Giro is like 5th or 6th in the Tour, and obviously the Vuelta is even lesser so a win in the Vuelta is already like 20th in the Tour (if you follow the logic) and then 17th in the Vuelta would be, well first person to get eliminated probably:p

But Poels brilliance came not on the GC.

It was seen on Alto de Angiliru.

He came 2nd, ahead of Froome and Menchov, half a minute ahead of Wiggins fighting for the red. Ahead of Nibali, Purito, Nieve etc.

John Gadret only came 13th in the 2010 Giro. But he came 3rd on Kronplatz, 10th on Zoncolan and in the Evans group on Mortirolo.

I thought I was seeing someone with real potential. And we get a guy who finishes 20 seconds behind Contador on the hardest mountain stage in modern cycling.

You dont come 3rd in a Kronplatz tt by mistake, just like you dont come 2ndf on Angirilu by mistake. Its all talent.

Back to Poels, his overall gc needs some polishing yes. But a guy who comes 2nd on Angirilu, has real real potential.

Remember the name.

I'm a Poels fan, which explains why I want him to focus on the classics :p