• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
JRanton said:
Wiggins is notorious for being terrible at that and the other two barely speak a word of English! (and from what I've read are rather quiet characters anyway).

Ha yeah I think sky could have some language difficulties across their team. Not sure about the english skills of the likes of Lopez, Siutsou, Henao, Uran, Kiri but thats why they're scheduled to ride the same pre-giro stage races and training camps, to build the chemistry and get on the same wave length.

JRanton said:
Looking at those nine they seem to be missing at least one diesel for the flat (someone like Pate, Stannard or Eisel). Sky probably have a long list of 12 or something for the Giro so for example it's probably unlikely that both Kennaugh and Dombrowski will ride considering the other climbers that are likely going (Porte, Henao, Kiryienka, Cataldo, Lopez).

There's also no obvious road captain and rather lacking in experience.

Id be very suprised if Sky dont take one of Eisel or Stannard to the Giro. Both have been road captains before and can put in a good shift on the flat.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
why would they need flat riders for upcoming giro. this is not the tour. and they will get knees for that, also because wiggins wants him for his size

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
He needs to be careful not to have the best rider in the race slave for him?. Because after the way i saw froome ride his guts out for wiggins while wearing the leaders jersey in the vuelta and then at the tour, the term "froomed"can't possibly mean anything else.

Well, he ended up behind Froome in that particular GT, despite having Froome slave for him. Seems for his sake it's a good idea not to have that happen again.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Stannard is set for Tour debut. Pate and Siutsou training lot of TTT lately with the riders already confirmed like Wiggo, Henao etc . I think they'll be in the squad very much so. No Porte for Giro me thinks. Might be given lead at PN and support Froome.

Gloin22 said:
I think Stannard is set for Tour debut. Pate and Siutsou training lot of TTT lately with the riders already confirmed like Wiggo, Henao etc . I think they'll be in the squad very much so. No Porte for Giro me thinks. Might be given lead at PN and support Froome.

Porte was always going to do the Giro. He more or less confirmed it a long time ago.

He also said he wanted to go for GC himself (as a dom).

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't think so personally. Froome is best friend of Porte ( not that it matters much, but it might a little ) and I think Porte will be given lead in WT stage races plus Tour. We'll see I guess.

He said he wanted to do Giro. Never said he will ;) There's a difference.

Gloin22 said:
Well I don't think so personally. Froome is best friend of Porte ( not that it matters much, but it might a little ) and I think Porte will be given lead in WT stage races plus Tour. We'll see I guess.

It seems to me like they told him he was probably going to do the Giro.

"What I've been told, if I'm good at the Giro and I think that's where I'll be riding, I'll be having the sort of role that Chris (Froome) had at the Tour - where he was the last guy that needs to sacrifice himself," he said

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...ping-for-a-secondary-leader-slot-in-Giro.aspx

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
It seems to me like they told him he was probably going to do the Giro.

"What I've been told, if I'm good at the Giro and I think that's where I'll be riding, I'll be having the sort of role that Chris (Froome) had at the Tour - where he was the last guy that needs to sacrifice himself," he said

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...ping-for-a-secondary-leader-slot-in-Giro.aspx

True, however that was in November. And all plans will be finalized this month. Things change. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't do Giro. We'll see soon enough though. Giro squad will do Oman & Tirren together. If he isn't there, he's doing Tour.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
henao will be the last man, certinaly not porte

No doubt about that if he does. But Porte's is good all roudner and will prove very useful allround in both Tour or Giro, whichever they pick for him.

Gloin22 said:

I saw and interview where Porte said Wiggins gets the best out of him, or words to that effect. He's probably too close to Froome.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Wiggins, Henao, Porte, Kyrienka, Cataldo, Lopez, Dombrowski is clearly a farcical level of resource so I would be surprised to see more than 5 of those names actually at the Giro.

all of those will do the giro I'm sure of and most of them are already confirmed: kiriyenka, henao, catadlo, lopez, wiggins and do,browski, only porte isn't 100% confirmed yet but he thinks he will do the giro

Gloin22 said:
I am sure those 6 are certs in the team too. I also strongly think that Pate will be doing it. As well as Kennaugh.

Well it could certainly use a rouleur or 2, so imagine Pate is likely. Knees and Eisel spent many a mile on the front of the peloton on the flat in last year's Tour riding for Brad, so I'd have thought they'd go for another strong rider for the flats also - Eisel or Knees again, or Thomas or Stannard. I know Brad's fond of both Knees and Thomas, so I imagine one will be there.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
Well it could certainly use a rouleur or 2, so imagine Pate is likely. Knees and Eisel spent many a mile on the front of the peloton on the flat in last year's Tour riding for Brad, so I'd have thought they'd go for another strong rider for the flats also - Eisel or Knees again, or Thomas or Stannard. I know Brad's fond of both Knees and Thomas, so I imagine one will be there.

Unliekely.

Thomas, Knees & Eisel are all sets for Tour. No doubt about that. I also think Stannard might be given his Tour debut. But out of the 4 he's most likely to do Giro.

Pate and Kennaugh are great flat roulers. No need for more than them tbh.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Unliekely.

Thomas, Knees & Eisel are all sets for Tour. No doubt about that. I also think Stannard might be given his Tour debut. But out of the 4 he's most likely to do Giro.

Pate and Kennaugh are great flat roulers. No need for more than them tbh.

Kennaugh is more natural on climbs than Brad will ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS