• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The GCW said:
Re: comments #951, 952 & 953 about Hesjedal,

Right, last year's build up was similar...

And one thing to remember is that Ryder progresses and gets better into the 3rd week when those 5 (of 6) MTF's hit.

Also it seems Hesjedal's build is better suited for harsh Giro weather, than some other racers.

Agreed.

Also remember that he says he was even better shape pre-tour last year after riding the giro. Too bad he crashed out. If he can get to that same place, who knows...

Nibali is overrated. Not explosive enough in the mountains to get rid of wiggins. Not good enough in tt.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
Agreed.

Also remember that he says he was even better shape pre-tour last year after riding the giro. Too bad he crashed out. If he can get to that same place, who knows...

Nibali is overrated. Not explosive enough in the mountains to get rid of wiggins. Not good enough in tt.

then who is not overrated in cycling?:D

Big Doopie said:
Agreed.

I don't think he's overrated. He's simply well liked by many because of his aggressive style, his willingness to mix it up in week long stage races, grand tours, hilly classics and even MSR along with his seemingly year long competitiveness. Most here recognize his limitations but root for him any way because he entertains.

Big Doopie said:
Agreed.

Overrated?
He isnot Pantani in the mountains, sure.
But he wins races by being an aggressive and entertaining rider who gets results in almost every race he enters. He is the reincarnation of Vino (almost... not quite, but still :p). Winning with guts and hard work , not by just by talent

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't we need a new poll? We are just 2 weeks before the start!

I'd say the favourites can be ranked as follows:

Wiggins
Nibali (like last years TDF)
Hesjedal (weak field last year)
Henao (has to work for Wiggins), Gesink (inevitable crash), Sanchez (last time he performed in a GT is almost 2 years ago), Evans (was it just the virus last year?)
Santambrogio, Intxausti, Rujano, Scarponi, Basso, Pellizotti, Uran, Cobo, ...

Difficult to predict who will do well, since they have been racing different races, ... Can't wait!

J-King said:

Wiggins
Henao (has to work for Wiggins), Gesink (inevitable crash), Sanchez (last time he performed in a GT is almost 2 years ago), Evans (was it just the virus last year?)

Difficult to predict who will do well, since they have been racing different races, ... Can't wait!
Betancour and Pozzovivo is riding to arent they? (how is Pozzo doing btw?)

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Betancour and Pozzovivo is riding to arent they? (how is Pozzo doing btw?)

I think they are yes. Didn't add Pozzovivo because of his crash in Trentino. According to Cyclingnews he broke some ribs...

J-King said:

Wiggins

I would put Santambrogio higher in that list.

J-King said:

Wiggins

I have a feeling Gadret will play a role this year. Enough for 1 star? Maybe.

Big Doopie said:
Agreed.

Last year's winner is not exactly known for his explosive climbing either. It's his consistency over three weeks that is his strength. Nibali has improved. That much is obvious.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Tei6chai said:
Hesjedal? ... I've always had a soft spot for him, but he won last year against the weakest Giro field in a generation. He may be worth a punt if the bookies are offering good odds, but he's shown little this year and none of the old captains are going to give him any latitude this time.

theyoungest said:
Nibali won a Vuelta with the weakest field ever, so that makes two of them. Hesjedal beat Scarponi, whom Nibali was unable to beat the last time he did the Giro.

The fact that Hesjedal has shown little this year doesn't really matter, last year was similar. The fact that he still got 20th or something yesterday in Fleche after his bad luck shows that the form is coming around nicely.

well.. wiggins won TDF against a weaker field too:D. So that makes the 3 of them. Who are the best of GT winner who won due to weakest field?:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS