• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour of California: Stage 7: Livermore-Mt. Diablo (146 km)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
VMhKbhY.png

profile-07.jpg

Profile of Mt. Diablo
http://app.strava.com/segments/254731
Or, for those that don't want to click the link.
8GamA4U.png

General Classification after Stage 6
USA 1 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) 22:44:24
AUS 2 ROGERS, Michael (SAXO-TINKOFF) + 1:47
AUS 3 MEYER, Cameron (ORICA GREENEDGE) + 2:57
SUI 4 FRANK, Mathias (BMC RACING) + 3:21
COL 5 ACEVEDO COLLE, Janier Alexis (JAMIS - HAGENS BERMAN) + 3:31
USA 6 BUSCHE, Matthew (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 3:33
ESP 7 MANCEBO PEREZ, Francisco (5 HOUR ENERGY) + 4:26
IRL 8 DEIGNAN, Philip (UNITEDHEALTHCARE) + 4:52
USA 9 HAGA, Chad (OPTUM - KELLY BENEFIT) + 5:02
USA 10 CRADDOCK, Lawson (BONTRAGER) + 5:04

In all likelihood, the 2013 Amgen Tour of California will be won or lost on the climb to the peak of Mt Diablo. The route of 92 miles will feature Morgan Territory Rd. which will be one of the more spectacular roads the race has ever used. The race will also return to Patterson Pass Rd and the infamous wall before returning to Livermore for the first Sprint of the day. The route to Mt. Diablo from Livermore is the same that was used in 2012 where a portion of the climb was along the Stage 3 route. The crowds on Mt. Diablo were among the largest ever seen along a mountain route for the race. In 2013, the race will add an additional five miles of climbing to the actual summit. Think Mt. Baldy with a 360-degree view! Speaking of views, Mt. Diablo has the greatest viewscape of any mountain in California. On a clear day you can see nearly 200 miles in any direction. The vistas captured for the TV broadcast will be spectacular!

As long as Tejay doesn't lose a massive amount of time here, he should cement his lead and take his first stage race win. Acevedo will no doubt doubt be looking to move up on GC and possible grab a 2nd stage win, as will Mancebo.

Also look out for Schleck, as I think there's a good chance of him going in the break and trying to get a stage win. I'll predict Schleck to take the stage (yes I'm serious :cool:) and Tejay to cement his overall lead with one stage to go.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I have one really stupid question...how come the AToC never uses any of the mountains in the eastern part of the state. I mean, you would think that Whitney Portal, several spots within Yosemite National Park, and others would be a great place for a stage finish (or an entire stage). Shoot, you could fit three Category ones or higher into a Badwater Basin to Whitney Portal Stage, within 240 km, without too much effort. I know the AToC claims to be the biggest stage race in the Americas, but they can do much better than they even are doing.

SetonHallPirate said:
I have one really stupid question...how come the AToC never uses any of the mountains in the eastern part of the state. I mean, you would think that Whitney Portal, several spots within Yosemite National Park, and others would be a great place for a stage finish (or an entire stage). Shoot, you could fit three Category ones or higher into a Badwater Basin to Whitney Portal Stage, within 240 km, without too much effort. I know the AToC claims to be the biggest stage race in the Americas, but they can do much better than they even are doing.

Are they less accessible from population centres? That tends to be the case most of the time with fairly young races, they stay close to their population centres while the race is young in order to build the audience.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Leo will do very well, he's getting in very good form. TT performance was very goog for him and he's much better climber. He could even win. Top ten is within grasp.
Pitty the stage 2 loss...he said he was feeling very good, plannec to attack and out of the blue crisis came.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully Andy shows something again, it's nice there's finally some progress. GC is already over, Tejay won't lose this anymore. Disappointing ToC this year with a very weak field but could still be a good race to see who takes the stage.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Also look out for Schleck, as I think there's a good chance of him going in the break and trying to get a stage win. I'll predict Schleck to take the stage (yes I'm serious :cool:) and Tejay to cement his overall lead with one stage to go.

what'd I tell you guys, Andy in the break. He's gonna take it! :D :cool:

TRENDING THREADS