• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España CQ game

2013 Vuelta a España CQ game

Time to do this again I guess.

Rules
Team of exactly nine riders. Teams with fewer riders will be filled out with cheapest riders available (if two or more riders are the joint cheapest, the rider whose name comes first alphabetically shall be used). If quota of nine cannot be reached in this manner (eg, 8 riders totalling exactly 3500, no free riders starting race) team will be disqualified.

Riders selected who do not start the race, or who are excluded from the game because of a ban (see below) will be replaced, if it is possible within budget, by the next most expensive from their own team otherwise as above.

Where a team has nine riders but is over budget, the cheapest riders selected will be replaced according to the same principle.

Teams with more than 9 riders will have their most expensive pick(s) removed from their squad (That should make sure no-one tries that!)

Budget
I propose that, as with the Giro, the budget be set at 3500 points.

Price of riders
CQ current score as at 18 August, with points accumulated over 12 months leading up to that date, for which the update file that CQ release on Monday 19th will be considered definitive.

I've posted a downloadable Excel file based on the final prices and what should be final team listings as at Cycling Fever at 3pm on the eve of the race.

Rider eligibility
As previously, any rider who has been under a ban for any part of the period during which their price is calculated is not eligible.
I believe that the effected riders due to ride are: Rasmussen, Pozzato, Zabriskie, Scarponi. Perhaps others could assist in providing other names.

Submitting your team
By personal message to me.
It would be convenient if your team is listed in decreasing price order (i.e. most expensive first)

Deadline
Saturday 24th August 1700 BST/1800 CET (about 1/2 hour before first team starts).

Scoring
Points issued according to the points tables of CQ (column GT2)]. Note there are no points issued for the young rider category.

Per the precedent set in relation to Di Luca and Santambrogio in the 2013 Giro, riders sanctioned for doping offences shall retain their points for the purposes of this game unless the CQ website removes them before publishing the final result on the final day of the race (which seems most unlikely)

Teams submitted

Afrank
Al Pacino
Armchair Cyclist
Batchuba
Comodoro
CQ Manager
Cyivel
DB Coop
Evans is the Best
Just Some Guy
Karlboss
Kazistuta
Keith James Mc
Leadbelly
Lightbing
Maaaaaaaarten
Mellow Velo
Mkind07
Murali *
Mutschi
Pentacycle
Search
The Asian
Vitapen
Vladimir
Yellow Knight
(at 10 pm BST Friday: still 19 hours to go)
* Team includes one rider not scheduled to compete

Good luck!

murali said:
this is my first time in this competition.

should we add cq score in provisional results, while making computations?

I'll make all the in-game computations, and give updates most days.

If you mean in calculating the price of the riders, the easiest thing to do is wait until after next Monday when the CQ scores are updated, as these will be the price for the game. You are free to try to calculate it if you wish, but I would suggest no more than shortlisting this side of Monday night.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering including 2 or 3 expensive picks and then just rounding out a number of spots with extra cheap guys that I know won't do anything. Seems the more top heavy teams have been the ones with the most success in this years grand tour games. Of course in the Vuelta we may not see a rider get the leaders jersey early and hold on to it for so long (accumulating race leader points) like Nibali at the Giro and Froome at the Tour.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
tried that and failed.

I tried to pick nibali and henao, and the 3500 quota was up. bottom 7 take up 91 points.

Another top heavy i could get was by picking nibali. at least there is an option to choose someone less than 950 points. But, woth that there is no way to choose a good super-domestique also. so if nibali fails for some reason, then no points will be won :(

murali said:
IS there any site where the expected list of riders are posted in a single place?

Cycling Fever is probably the best repository of info: at present they are listing the following numbers for each team

AG2R La Mondiale -9
Argos-Shimano -9
Astana -9
Belkin - 9
BMC - 6 5
Caja Rural - 9
Cannondale -5
Cofidis - 9
Euskaltel - 9
FDJ - 9
Garmin-Sharp - 10
Katusha - 5 9
Lampre-Merida - 9
Lotto-Belisol - 9
Movistar - 9
NetAPP-Endura - 10 9
Omega Pharma-QuickStep - 9
Orica Greenedge - 9
RadioShack Leopard - 9
Saxo-Tinkoff - 9
Sky - 8
Vacansoleil - 9

The selection spreadsheet has now been updated with the new CQ prices, those that are appropriate to the race and game.

I doubt I'll be able to do any more updates until Thursday night or Friday, but the lower part of that spreadsheet has other riders from all involved teams, so you can find there the further recruits to BMC, Cannondale and Sky, and any substitutions.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Just done my submission,
going with a tactic I was too scared to do last couple of GT games!

Ah well I'm off for a tomorrow, I'm curious to see what everybody did for their team when I return in a week :D

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
sent my final entry. please ignore my initial entry.

(didn't know that a message in the thread is also needed.)

when can we discuss about the choices made?

murali said:
we can send teams till 24th right?

I don't want to commit the team right now, as I am not sure who are going to be out.

Per opening post, up until 1800 CET on 24th (1/2 hour before start of TTT)

search said:
I have posted a table including all team- and rider-values on vr if anyone is interested

bmc is not confirmed yet though
Thanks for that: I have now updated the Mediafire spreadsheet (see OP) with what should be the final listing barring dropping bikes on feet during presentation ceremony, or outbreak of food poisoning in the hotels of Pontevedra.

murali said:
sent my final entry. please ignore my initial entry.

(didn't know that a message in the thread is also needed.)

when can we discuss about the choices made?

No problem with changing teams up to the deadline. There is no requirement to post a message here that you have PMed me your team.

Discuss teams as soon as you wish after the deadline: I'll post some analysis of the selections here as soon after as I get a chance, but not sure when that will be.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:
Thanks Armchair Cyclist for running the game.

Submitted my team. Went a bit top heavy. Hope it won't backfire.

Just realized you lost both of our CQ TDF avatar bets. I should start thinking about some saucy avatar for you :D

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Sad news with the replacement of Renshaw in the Belkin squad. I was betting on Renshaw after his impressive return to form in Eneco tour. :(

One man's replacement created a cascade of 3 changes for the team, and now dont really have a gauranteed top-10 sprinter now.