2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 17: Calahorra→Burgos (189km)

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 17: Calahorra→Burgos (189km)

The riders roll out of Calahorra, in the province of Logroño at 13h04 CET tomorrow.

They should finish between 17h30 and 17h50 CET.

The route is not hard by the standards of this year's Veulta. There are a pair of category 3 climbs in the second half of the race, and a relatively flat last 40km. It should suit the sprinters, but given the rolling nature of the parcours, the tiredness of the riders, the fact that most sprinters' teams are down to the bare bones and the quality of attacking riders remaining, I think we could see the breakaway take the spoils yet again.

The finish is pan flat.



The weather is set fair, although there is the chance for some cross winds in the middle of the stage.



Weather: There will be partially cloudy sky in the first half of the stage, becoming to sunny weather in the second one.

Winds: The wind will be rather strong in almost all this stage. It will blow from Northwesterly and North in the first half becoming from Northeast in the second one. It will be contrary for the riders from Calahorra to Logroño becoming from right side later as far as Santo Domingo de la Calzada and favourable and from right side for the cyclists later as far as Burgos.

Temperatures: They will be mild in this day, oscillating between the mild 19º and 20ºC in the lowest stretch of the stage and the coolest 15ºC in the summits of the two mountain highs of the journey.

The GC coming into the stage is as follows:

1. NIBALI, Vincenzo 31 ASTANA PRO TEAM 64h 06' 01''
2. HORNER, Christopher 184 RADIOSHACK LEOPARD 64h 06' 29'' + 28''
3. VALVERDE, Alejandro 1 MOVISTAR TEAM 64h 07' 15'' + 1' 14''
4. RODRIGUEZ, Joaquin 121 KATUSHA TEAM 64h 08' 30'' + 2' 29''
5. POZZOVIVO, Domenico 11 AG2R LA MONDIALE 64h 09' 39'' + 3' 38''
6. ROCHE, Nicolas 205 TEAM SAXO-TINKOFF 64h 09' 44'' + 3' 43''
7. PINOT, Thibaut 101 FDJ.FR 64h 10' 38'' + 4' 37''
8. KONIG, Leopold 151 TEAM NETAPP-ENDURA 64h 12' 18'' + 6' 17''
9. SÁNCHEZ, Samuel 91 EUSKALTEL EUSKADI 64h 13' 34'' + 7' 33''
10. KANGERT, Tanel 36 ASTANA PRO TEAM 64h 15' 22'' + 9' 21''

The main contenders if it comes to a sprint are probably as follows:

Gianni Meersman
Tyler Farrar
Michael Matthews

If it goes to the break, I haven't got a clue.
 
Thank you.

The race cross my shire through the Demanda Mountains, close to Valdezcaray and Cruz de la Demanda, with two small climbs: Pradilla, 6 kms, at 5,2 % (I remember in Vuelta a la rioja it was 1st caregory sometimes)



His descent was dangerous, but today is a new road, so it is not a big problem.

And Alto de Valmala, where Heras crashed the Vuelta he won and later was given to Menchov.



Valmala is shorter but has at the first part hardest sections, about 9 %, (I will be there) but anyway Cavendish has won in Burgos with the same route that tomorrow, becouse after the mountains is a long straigt to Burgos, mostly for a wide national road, without any slope close to famous world heritage Atapuerca.

The wind could be a problem becouse the direction, but the road is wide.

They could have get Burgos for another narrow road with a short slope of about 15 %, that they did in opossite direction at Vuelta a Burgos, but they prefered do it different, with some roundabouts...

After Castle, that is not the same climb that in Vuelta a Burgos, but is hard as well, and narrow, they have wide avenues before the finish line, the same as other years, more than 1 kms straight about 2 %, wide road National 1 of Spain, Madrid-France.

the weather will be nice tomorrow, they are lucky, but the wind is in the right direccion and enough strong to be dangerous.

It is a day with wind and some mountains, and a nice final, so it is a day for classic mans as Gilbert, EBH, Flecha and similars...but general conterdeders must be aware, and there are a lot of riders that could win tomorrow.
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
The last spike 10kms from the fininsh is the climb to Castillo de Burgos including 12% ramps. I doubt sprint trains will go through it unscathed.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,845
0
0
Gonna be a bit harder for the sprinter teams to chase down the break if a good one goes. Of the teams that could have interest in a bunch sprint.

Sky: down 1
Argos: down 1
Garmin: down 4
Greenedge: down 4
OPQS: down 5
Vacansoleil: down 5

Sky and Argos have the most complete teams to chase a break down, we'll see if they decide to. Would probably be smart for Sky to try for EBH with them having no chance of success in GC. Otherwise all the sprinter teams will have to work together as a joint team to get a bunch sprint. And GC teams will probably take the day off I think with the final 3 mountains stages ahead.

I predict either a strong break or an attack in the final to stay away.
 
May 14, 2009
147
0
0
Given that little bump at the end and a tail wind, I'd be surprised if this ends in a bunch finish. Do the "sprinters" teams, such as they are, actually have any firepower left? I see a breakaway.
 
May 14, 2009
147
0
0
Afrank said:
Gonna be a bit harder for the sprinter teams to chase down the break if a good one goes. Of the teams that could have interest in a bunch sprint.

Sky: down 1
Argos: down 1
Garmin: down 4
Greenedge: down 4
OPQS: down 5
Vacansoleil: down 5

Sky and Argos have the most complete teams to chase a break down, we'll see if they decide to. Would probably be smart for Sky to try for EBH with them having no chance of success in GC. Otherwise all the sprinter teams will have to work together as a joint team to get a bunch sprint. And GC teams will probably take the day off I think with the final 3 mountains stages ahead.

I predict either a strong break or an attack in the final to stay away.
Thank you. That's the information I was looking for. I agree we're likely to either see a break, or an attack on the final bump that sticks.
 
Afrank said:
Gonna be a bit harder for the sprinter teams to chase down the break if a good one goes. Of the teams that could have interest in a bunch sprint.

Sky: down 1
Argos: down 1
Garmin: down 4
Greenedge: down 4
OPQS: down 5
Vacansoleil: down 5

Sky and Argos have the most complete teams to chase a break down, we'll see if they decide to. Would probably be smart for Sky to try for EBH with them having no chance of success in GC. Otherwise all the sprinter teams will have to work together as a joint team to get a bunch sprint. And GC teams will probably take the day off I think with the final 3 mountains stages ahead.

I predict either a strong break or an attack in the final to stay away.
Lampre might help the chase for Richeze. He's been good overall and has a chance to win the sprint.

Astana wil surely take a day off.
 
In this Vuelta there is not strong teams to control this stage after the Castillo de Burgos.

If other days was not possible, tomorrow much more. Even could be some difference among GC contenders.


I think tomorrow the biggest group wil be 30 riders at the end.
 
Afrank said:
Would probably be smart for Sky to try for EBH with them having no chance of success in GC. Otherwise all the sprinter teams will have to work together as a joint team to get a bunch sprint. And GC teams will probably take the day off I think with the final 3 mountains stages ahead.
So far Sky has shown no willingness whatsoever to assist EBH though. I think they'll rather try to put him in the break as they certainly don't want to chase one down.
 
Well, I didnt know exactly where the race was going in Burgos. After analyze it, it is a good day for Cancellara or Flecha.

They dont climb the Castle. They climb half the castle, and they did the cobble section of the usual climb at Vuelta a Burgos, a cobble section that go on more time, with descent, totally, 350 metres of cobble section.
After that they climb a little bit more, but anything important, descent, and about five kms to cross all Burgos, with the Puente San Pablo and statue of the Cid, very nice everything, they show the historic Castlenland capital (Cabeza de Castilla), Burgos, quite well, before to get the populous workers quarter of Gamonal, where it is the finish in light but long slope, where is spected headwind, contrary at the rest of the stage.

This is the climb, nor very hard nor long, but narrow:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.34702,-3.700874&spn=0.00323,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=42.347584,-3.700872&panoid=Myi7S8bPIIJpPLJ93WcRAQ&cbp=12,203.04,,0,8.5

And this is the cobble section (in the opossite direction), not an easy one, my car hate go over it

https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.34177,-3.705655&spn=0.000401,0.00066&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=42.341788,-3.705606&panoid=IAcnFCp3YG8V0clDUdc_qA&cbp=12,22.09,,0,-0.91

it is a tipical italian ambush, but it is not a hard climb, the problem is that there are two complicated kms where some people could go and get the finish
 
Taxus4a said:
thanks for all the information, but I don't think they are using that road, according to the map they are passing the castle on the other site

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nk3zdimGA9s/Ui840DvgpUI/AAAAAAAACP0/-kSwOC7T3CY/s1600/vuelta_stage17_final14.JPG
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
Taxus4a said:
Well, I didnt know exactly where the race was going in Burgos. After analyze it, it is a good day for Cancellara or Flecha.

They dont climb the Castle. They climb half the castle, and they did the cobble section of the usual climb at Vuelta a Burgos, a cobble section that go on more time, with descent, totally, 350 metres of cobble section.
After that they climb a little bit more, but anything important, descent, and about five kms to cross all Burgos, with the Puente San Pablo and statue of the Cid, very nice everything, they show the historic Castlenland capital (Cabeza de Castilla), Burgos, quite well, before to get the populous workers quarter of Gamonal, where it is the finish in light but long slope, where is spected headwind, contrary at the rest of the stage.

This is the climb, nor very hard nor long, but narrow:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.34702,-3.700874&spn=0.00323,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=42.347584,-3.700872&panoid=Myi7S8bPIIJpPLJ93WcRAQ&cbp=12,203.04,,0,8.5

And this is the cobble section (in the opossite direction), not an easy one, my car hate go over it

https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.34177,-3.705655&spn=0.000401,0.00066&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=42.341788,-3.705606&panoid=IAcnFCp3YG8V0clDUdc_qA&cbp=12,22.09,,0,-0.91

it is a tipical italian ambush, but it is not a hard climb, the problem is that there are two complicated kms where some people could go and get the finish
Thanks, Taxus! You are from the region of Burgos, right? I was there in June and I loved it, what a beautiful town!
 
Nov 26, 2012
3,216
0
0
search said:
thanks for all the information, but I don't think they are using that road, according to the map they are passing the castle on the other site

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nk3zdimGA9s/Ui840DvgpUI/AAAAAAAACP0/-kSwOC7T3CY/s1600/vuelta_stage17_final14.JPG
thank you search for the link.

I will try to paste it an an image: (the attempt worked)


by the looks of it, nasty set of corners and furniture till the final two stretches of straights.


so will break need 30 sec at the 2 km banner? chance for an eneco renshaw or eneco phinney?
 
search said:
thanks for all the information, but I don't think they are using that road, according to the map they are passing the castle on the other site

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nk3zdimGA9s/Ui840DvgpUI/AAAAAAAACP0/-kSwOC7T3CY/s1600/vuelta_stage17_final14.JPG
Burgos. Paso por rtda. dcha., Av Arlanzón, Pº de Juan Ramón Jiménez, C/ Esteban Saez Alvarado, rtda. izda., Camino de los Andaluces, Av Castilla y León, rtda. dcha. dirección Santander por N 623, N 627, Av Cantabria, Plaza del Castillo, rtda. izda. Plaza de Bilbao, Av del Cid Campeador, dcha. dirección Parque del Castillo, estrechamiento, C/ Eras de San Francisco, C/ de San Esteban, C/ Doña Jimena, C/ De Fernán Gonzalez, C/ de Francisco Salinas, badenes, rtda. izda. C/ Gloria Fuerte, C/ León, rtda. izda. N 120, Av José Villacacián Rebollo, Av Palencia

You are right, the problem is that Eras de San Francisco is the climb I said, but they call as well Eras de San francisco the climb to the castle, I didnt know that, iit is about 1 kms, not very hard, about 5,5, but with a flat at the begining.

So there is not cobble section.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY