• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro CQ game

Here we go again...

Not changing much, post of this is copied and pasted from last year's OP.

Rules

Team of exactly nine riders. Teams with fewer riders will be filled out with cheapest riders available (2nd sort criteria will be alphabetical by surname). If quota of nine cannot be reached in this manner (eg, 8 riders totalling exactly 3500, no free riders starting race) team will be disqualified.

Riders selected who do not start the Giro will be replaced by the next most expensive from their own team, if possible, otherwise as above.

Teams with more than 9 riders will have their most expensive pick(s) removed from their squad (That should make sure no-one tries that!)

Budget
Budget will be 3500 points.

Price of riders
CQ current score as at 4th May, with points accumulated over 12 months leading up to that date, for which the update file that CQ release on Monday 5th will be considered definitive.
This dropbox spreadsheet has riders likely to participate and their prices for the game, and a facility for checking the team total. These prices are now updated to be the relevant price for the game.

Rider eligibility
As previously, any rider who has been under a ban for any part of the period during which their price is calculated is not eligible.
I can't think off hand of any likely competing cyclist to whom this applies, but I am confident that readers will alert me if there are any.

Submitting your team
By personal message to me.
It will be handy if you can send the team with names formatted as per CQ.
I will lodge my team with the first person to submit a team so that there can be confidence that I didn't pick from among the best of everyone else's ideas. Mind you, I've come dead last in the last 2 GT games, so it probably isn't a worry.

Should my inbox fill up on any day, please try again after about 8pm (UK time) by which time I should have had a chance to clear it. Or use my inbox at Velorooms, which is unlimited.

Deadline
Friday 9th May at whatever time the first team rolls down the ramp.

Scoring
Points issued according to the points tables of CQ (column GT2). Note there are no points issued for the young rider category.

Entries
Entries
As of midnight Thurs/Fri (UK time), we have 50 teams (plus one team with more than 140 riders which I haven't included in the stats). Four of the teams are overbudget: they have all been messaged.

Teams so far:
18Valve
Afrank
AG
Armchair_Cyclist
asdfgh101
BadBrainAJ
BigMac
Blackbandit222
Comodoro
Dazed_and_Confused
Del1962
DIM
DJ_Sprtsch
Eljimberino
Flo
GeraintTooFast
Gustienordic
HilltopFinisher
Hugo87
ItalianGigolo
Josedin
JosephD
JustSomeGuy
Karlboss
Kazistuta
Leadbelly
LightBing
LosBrolin
Maaaaaaaarten
Madrazo
MC_Mountain
Mellow_Velo
Mkind07
Murali
Murrjt
Mutschi
NairoQ
Oliveira
Rote_Laterne
Roubaix
Sasquatch
Search
Shalgo
Tanja
the_fool_on_the_hill
The_Sceptic
Trudgin
USPostal
Vladimir
Zlev11

Between them, these 50 teams use 110 different riders, including 47 unique picks, 2 riders that are on 33 teams, 1 on 27 and 1 on 22.

Good luck to all.

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Can't wait for Giro to start... I have already created my team but I will send it later... Many cheap riders with great potential return this year in my opinion!

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Thankyou for running this Armchair. I think i'm going to resist the temptation to select too many of the old guard, but damn i'm tempted.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
BigMac said:
We can share the spoils after, Hugo. :p

I have a great feeling about this.

:D

I had my team already finished by Friday, but some CQ points from Romandie and Turkey that will show up on this last update (4th May), probably will oblige me to change 1 or 2 riders.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Team submitted, I suspect this will be a close one, and the winner will be the person who picks the best value sprinter. Having said I didn't take that punt.

eljimberino said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but where do I find out how many points each rider is worth before I submit a team?

Welcome to the world of CQ games.

Points come from CQ (http://www.cqranking.com if you are not familiar with the site) but you can find the rider prices in the dropbox spreadsheet linked in the first post and in post 12 above. You might find the post at reply 9 on a parallel thread here useful.

Good luck.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
eljimberino said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but where do I find out how many points each rider is worth before I submit a team?

The easiest way is to use the updated spreadsheet in the OP and again in post 12

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Seeing that my CQ team is doing so poorly I think I picked 9 new guys to try my luck. Figured I can do no worse trying some new people, and looking for talent for next year already. Good luck to all.

Chuck

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
vladimir said:
Submitted my team. With 15 riders from my CQ main game riding it was tempting to choose only from those, but I ended up selecting only four of them;)

I try to avoid them, so no matter who rides well, I win :)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Team submitted and looking forward to getting this game underway. I could use a good result, my CQ teams have all been horrible thus far this year. :eek:

Decided to go the big gun route with my team.