• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro D'Italia, stage 1: Belfast › Belfast, 21.7 km (TTT)

Who wins?

• Cannondale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
2014 Giro D'Italia, stage 1: Belfast › Belfast, 21.7 km (TTT)

And so it begins

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_01.jpg

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_01.jpg

Hard to see anoyone other than Orica winning this.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Walkman said:
BMC isn't an option for the win but Katusha is?

Katusha is mostly good in TT's. Remember they finished a close 2nd at the Giro 2012 TTT behind Garmin.

I reckon them with the best 5 teams for this discipline.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
OGE should win but Sky's team is stronger than you might think, Cataldo, Siutsou, EBH are all very strong against the clock. Swift ain't bad either over this kind of distance.

hfer07 said:
BMC on paper is the likely winner- but there is also Garmin & OPQS with good engines to perform well/upset the results
I expect Garmin to finish in the bottom 6-8 actually. Maybe even bottom 4.

There are plenty of horrible TT-ers in their roster and not a single TT star. And they have a recent tradition of underperforming in TTTs.

Sad to look at them, a strong contender for the win at any TTT not so long ago.:(

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
Orica just seems too strong this time around. BMC as runner up.

Hrm… Matthews or Santaromita to be allowed to pass the line first? Matthews has the best chance to keep the jersey initially, and perhaps score additional boni seconds in the coming sprint stages. Santaromita is the Italian champion in the primary Italian race, and consequently dressed in pink would likely become the media focal point for quite a bit.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
For once on the subject, we are in total agreement, although I suspect for completely opposite reasons.

For example, I think that the words "pointless" and "gimmick" in that sentence above are tautologies.

The "opening TTT" is a marketing ploy. It's just an extension of the team presentation - it's razzmatazz to get the ball rolling. Guys in skinsuits on ultra-sleek machines riding at absurdly high speeds.

By the bye, a tautology requires a repetition of the same point/argument. Thereby you should have said that the words were "A tautology". Secondly, they are not. What is pointless to a hardcore cycling fan makes an awful lot of sense to a marketing man.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Anderis said:
Btw. it's a travesty not to include the option "other" in the poll in such an open sport like cycling is.

I will admit I forgot to put BMC in the poll, but other than that, it would be a huge surprise if anyone not mentioned wins.