• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro D'Italia: Third Rest Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how does an average rest day before the decisive stages look?
We know about sleeping, light rides, massages, therapies... But I want to hear something about less usual and more advanced preparations before the final week.
Are the HGH and designer steroids still the number one choice in the recovery?
Do they calculate their transfusions according to the latest readings, a trend during the race and existing bio-passport data, or the early morning micro-dosing is their weapon of choice?
Do the all favorites prefer a recharge during the rest day, or do they do it independently of the rest day, doing it when the data show it's the moment or before a specific stage?

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Usually, the third rest day tends to have the least doping of all the rest days.

Since GTs usually only have 2 rest days, I tend to agree. However, in this particular case? Considering the ferocity of the coming week, I wouldn't be surprised if all favourites 'recharge' right now. The question how they do this is an interesting one still. It will probably take a few years before we get an answer to it, though.

HSNHSN said:
Since GTs usually only have 2 rest days, I tend to agree. However, in this particular case? Considering the ferocity of the coming week, I wouldn't be surprised if all favourites 'recharge' right now. The question how they do this is an interesting one still. It will probably take a few years before we get an answer to it, though.
Yes, there's the truth.
Some of the last year's performances and the consistency some riders have managed to achieve lately suggests there's a new approach.

To answer the original question, I guess the rest day is a good day to charge up if there's a doping technique that is detrimental in the short term but beneficial over the following days. A lot of medicines make you constipated for example. Otherwise I'm not too sure why the rest day would see extra dopage. On the other hand, days with long transfers might be logistically trickier to dope on. Someone should ask Hamilton or Landis.

There is no one on this board who can answer such questions with any level of veracity.

Doping occurs behind closed doors in a clandestine fashion. No one knows how the Biopassport is being undermined, what drugs are in vogue, or how they are being administered.

I'm closing this thread because the level of speculation is going to go off the charts. We have enough threads going on where this is rampant.

CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.