• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Grandes Prix Cyclistes: Québec et Montréal, 12 and 14 o

La Québécoise et la Montréalaise are back!

After Plouay, we now reach The Laurentian Classics: the last one-day WT races before the World Championships. You can find the startlist here (provisional). Québec is 199km, which means 11 laps in a 18km circuit. It has a total 2310 meters of elevation gain. Montréal is 206km and consists of 17 laps over a circuit of 12km's. It has nearly 4000 meters of elevation gain. Both races have been spectacular since their first year.

Québec: Côte de la Montagne, 375m @ 10%; Côte de la Potasse, 420m @ 9%; Montée de la Fabrique, 190m @ 7%; Montée du Fort - Grand Alée (finish), 1km @ 4%.

Last year's top10:
1. Robert Gesink
2. Arthur Vichot (in race)
3. Greg Van Avarmaet (in race)
4. Fabian Wegmann (in race)
5. Rui Costa (in race)
6. Niki Terpstra
7. Tom-Jelte Slagter (in race)
8. Matti Breschel (in race)
9. Simon Geschke (in race)
10. Peter Sagan

Al1MpUL.gif

Montréal: Côte de Camillien-Houde, 1,8km @ 8%; Côte de la Polytechnique, 780m @ 6%; Avenue du Parc (finish), 560m @ 4%.

Last year's top10:
1. Peter Sagan
2. Simone Ponzi
3. Ryder Hesjedal
4. Greg Van Avarmaet (in race)
5. Filippo Pozzato
6. Rui Costa (in race)
7. Enrico Gasparotto (in race)
8. Lars Petter Nordhaug (in race)
9. Ion Izagirre
10. Jan Bakelants (in race)

DF2wDOH.gif

Live coverage: Eurosport will broadcast both races.
Québec: 18:00 GMT/19:00 CET to 21:15 GMT/22:15 CET. Over three hours!
Montréal: 20:15 GMT/21:15 CET to 21:30 GMT/ 22:30 CET. 75 minutes.

The usual Sprint race before the start will be broadcast as well.

Weather forecast for both races.

Recently realized that the Camilien-Houde circuit is a famous circuit for cyclos in Quebec and that it was the exact same circuit on which Merckx was World Champion in 1974. Could any Quebecker tell me if the GP des Amériques in the early nineties used the same route?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4d_2CAWqT0

You can easily recognize the Polytech and Camilien-Houde (Mount-Royal) [the landscape has changed in 40 years, lol]. The finish was not on the Avenue du Parc but I think it was on the route as well.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice video Echoes!

Yeah these races are pretty good. They're very young, but they've always had pretty decent action. In a way having a high level one day race on a circuit is a bit lame, but it certainly has worked pretty well for these races so far. :)

Echoes said:
Recently realized that the Camilien-Houde circuit is a famous circuit for cyclos in Quebec and that it was the exact same circuit on which Merckx was World Champion in 1974. Could any Quebecker tell me if the GP des Amériques in the early nineties used the same route?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4d_2CAWqT0

You can easily recognize the Polytech and Camilien-Houde (Mount-Royal) [the landscape has changed in 40 years, lol]. The finish was not on the Avenue du Parc but I think it was on the route as well.

That is great, thanks for sharing! :)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Out of all the "new" races in the WT calendar, the 2 canadian/quebecian classics have proved the main success. It goes to show that a bit of audacity isn't bad. To me the Tour of Oman is also a great race which would gain from being WT as well.

But back to those canadian races, really looking forward to them. As a frenchie I am also quite enthusiastic as it seems many good french riders are in solid form this year.

They're also on at a great time for me...evening time in Dublin.

Both courses are testing, and importantly offer chances to every type of rider.

Any races with these roles of honours can't be doing much wrong.
Quebec Voeckler, Gilbert, Gerrans, Gesink
Montreal Gesink, Costa, Nordhaug, Sagan

Something for everyone apart from sprinters.

barmaher said:
They're also on at a great time for me...evening time in Dublin.

Both courses are testing, and importantly offer chances to every type of rider.

Any races with these roles of honours can't be doing much wrong.
Quebec Voeckler, Gilbert, Gerrans, Gesink
Montreal Gesink, Costa, Nordhaug, Sagan

Something for everyone apart from sprinters.

It seems Gesink is not scheduled to race in the province of Quebec, I don't think Sagan is either.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/2014-grand-prix-cycliste-de-quebec-startlist

May 19, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Nordhaug has been removed from Belkin's line-up because he's going back to Sky:eek:

Would they have let him ride if he was retiring or going to a pro continental team? Or is it just Sky they don't like?

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
thats another belkin fail,with form he has now lol...who is gonna contend for them? mollema?:rolleyes:

Because he has been racking in victory after victory this and last year?

Kruiswijk would whoop his *** again just like he did in Norway.

roundabout said:
Argh.

Probably won't change the last lap mad dash up the hills nature of the race though

As you can see in the OP, the profile that was posted is already correct. I believe slosada was just giving an explanation as to why the circuit is longer than last year.

Last year's: 12,6km's, 17 laps.
3nUsJDB.gif

This year's: 18,1km's, 11 laps.
Al1MpUL.gif

Cheers.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
roundabout said:
Argh.

Probably won't change the last lap mad dash up the hills nature of the race though

True. The 2 races fit well together : Quebec is really a full speed throttle where the most resistant endure the last 3/4kms going uphill, while Montreal is more like a real ardennaise, where a clean attack earlier in the last lap can make the difference. Both really nice races.

TRENDING THREADS