2014 Tour de France July 23, Stage 17: Saint-Gaudens - Saint-Lary-Soulan Pla d'Adet 1

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win stage 17?

  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Jan 3, 2011
4,594
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
2nd Mountain stage where JCP can follow Nibali's attacks. Doesn't really help the argument that this isn't a devalued win for Vince.
Its not Nibs fault that they crashed out but you are right. Contador and Froome would have masacred them all.
 
Cimber said:
Its not Nibs fault that they crashed out but you are right. Contador and Froome would have masacred them all.
Well maybe but remember the last time Froome went 'full genius' on a climb in this years Dauphine (before he fell off) him and Contador only put a few seconds into the likes of Kelderman, Talansky and JVDB, so i think its a lot to assume that they would've massacred this field. I think there's not much between the top guys these days coz they all basically train in the same way
 
Sep 2, 2010
1,853
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
2nd Mountain stage where JCP can follow Nibali's attacks. Doesn't really help the argument that this isn't a devalued win for Vince.
I think this is an overly simplistic perspective. This has been a far harder Tour than the last couple editions given the parcours and weather. I feel energy conversation is perhaps more important than in the last few years

At this stage in the Tour last year we saw Froome almost bonking, and this Tour has been much more difficult overall.
 
sir fly said:
Majka did violate the regulations, but in style.;)
I don' think the pull made the deciding difference... Just good fun.
A symbolic couple of hundreds of the Swiss looks appropriate to me.

whatever happened to the stockade? it would be perfectly appropriate. He will not do it again, I can assure you.
 
Jul 12, 2014
114
0
0
willbick said:
Well maybe but remember the last time Froome went 'full genius' on a climb in this years Dauphine (before he fell off) him and Contador only put a few seconds into the likes of Kelderman, Talansky and JVDB, so i think its a lot to assume that they would've massacred this field. I think there's not much between the top guys these days coz they all basically train in the same way
4 seconds to Kelderman. And I am pretty sure Nibali is better then Kelderman :). Nibbs was doing training in the Dauphine as he said from the start, he wasn't in the shape he is now.
 
Jun 4, 2014
762
0
0
Super win for Majka,i find him more impressive then the young french riders.Nibali again in a league of his own,surprised that Peraud managed to hold his wheel.I really enjoyed Valverde today who managed very well a bad day and still find some strength to drop the french guys.Still interesting to see if Valverde will hold the 2nd place in front of Peraud who's got the 3rd place in his pocket because of his TT.
 
willbick said:
Well maybe but remember the last time Froome went 'full genius' on a climb in this years Dauphine (before he fell off) him and Contador only put a few seconds into the likes of Kelderman, Talansky and JVDB, so i think its a lot to assume that they would've massacred this field. I think there's not much between the top guys these days coz they all basically train in the same way
Wasn't that (primarily) because they were stopping and starting because Contador wouldn't work with Froome?
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
whittashau said:
I think this is an overly simplistic perspective. This has been a far harder Tour than the last couple editions given the parcours and weather. I feel energy conversation is perhaps more important than in the last few years

At this stage in the Tour last year we saw Froome almost bonking, and this Tour has been much more difficult overall.
But he bonked cuz of pace of a 100% Purto and monster talent of last decade not against freakin ol Peraud,young frenchies and ,heh, Valverde...
Publicus said:
Wasn't that (primarily) because they were stopping and starting because Contador wouldn't work with Froome?
Not worth an argument.I wrote this 100x and even did an analysis with video here.Nobody cares,cuz they are... of course... right:eek:
 
Kokoso said:
I'd say it's other way round - don't let you emotions get in your way. They both are giving it 200% every stage, there's no difference. König was clearly better of the two, so he deserves it more of the two. You just feel more for Mollema, understandably.
And the last part...well, I don't agree. If you aren't at your best, you only can gain if you attack. It's the easier way how to gain.
Yeah it's real easy to be in a breakaway in a mountain stage.. :eek:

anyway you are impossible to talk to in this state of mind. I understand completely tho. Toughen up, don't worry. König will have ample opportunity to take back time tomorrow and in the time trial
 
Jul 8, 2010
1,366
0
0
richard_91 said:
Anyone know when the Majka punishment should be announced?

I'm resigned to it being time, and its the most token thing ever. Everybody knows that he doesnt care about GC, so there is no punishment at all. I'd say a 5-10 point deduction should be done...some people will think its harsh but if you are going to punish someone, give an actual punishment, and the wink to the camera afterwards(1st one) showed to me he knew exactly what he had done and that he didnt care.
For me the wink (after his interviews) only showed, that he knew he will win the stage, because he finally dropped Purito.
 
Nibali is in a class of his own and will now most certainly win the Tour.

Pinot, Peraud and Bardet have proven they don't have either the talent, tactics or will to make inroads on Nibali. Peraud did make gains on Valverde but Pinot lost ~5 seconds in spite of the fact Valverde was knackered. Today's stage is a reminder of just how tough the Tour is.

If the three Frenchman do the same tomorrow the ITT will make no difference as it is just too short.
 
richard_91 said:
Anyone know when the Majka punishment should be announced?

I'm resigned to it being time, and its the most token thing ever. Everybody knows that he doesnt care about GC, so there is no punishment at all. I'd say a 5-10 point deduction should be done...some people will think its harsh but if you are going to punish someone, give an actual punishment, and the wink to the camera afterwards(1st one) showed to me he knew exactly what he had done and that he didnt care.
Rule book says 20 seconds, so it should be 20 seconds.

EDIT: Okay I had bad info!


Same thing last year with Froome's illegal feed. Penalty was a time deduction as if it mattered at all, it didn't. But that was the penalty as defined in the rulebook.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
1
0
No disrespect to Nibali but I think most Tour podiums in previous years would have at least gave him a run for his money this year. He is only beating hacks like Valverde, Peraud and some youngsters, some of which most people do not rate as that good just yet.

Other than the differences made up on the cobbles, I wouldn't say he has been way better than those names on the climbs to say the least.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY