• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 8: Tomblaine – Gerardmer/La Mauselaine: 161km

Where will Sagan finish

• Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
rghysens said:
Stage 8: Tomblaine – Gerardmer/La Mauselaine: 161km, medium mountains + hilltop finish
Overview:
Another short stage. Flat for a bit more than 130km, and then a difficult final with 3 climbs and some very steep pitches.

wbe9ah.jpg

2ec3og6.jpg

The first climb is the longest of the day, but quite regular and not very steep, being 7.6km @ 6%.

vh49rd.jpg

The second climb, the Col de Grosse Pierre (3km @ 7.5%), is rather a shortish but very steep ramp through the hamlet of La Roche, reaching 15% and more, preceded and followed by some false flat. The final climb, towards the ski station of La Mauselaine is also the finish: 1.8km @ 10.3%. That’s more something one expects in Tirreno-Adriatico or the Basque country, and I guess most of us were very surprised to see it here. All in all, there are enough opportunities to distance your rivals, if you feel up to it.

15mfrxv.jpg

Predictions:
A breakaway to form in the flat beginning, the favorites for the final GC won’t really bother, unless some of them would have lost a bit of time the first days. So, it depends on the teams of the punchy climbers aiming for stage victories (Moreno, Rodriguez if he feels ok, Valverde, D.Martin,…) if the break is caught or not. Between the favorites some gaps in the range of 10 seconds will appear.

First uphill fight for the GC

1 question for this stage: Where will Sagan finish

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Red Rick said:
It's a force of nature, he's got between 2nd and 5th on the first 7 stages:eek:
It's impossible to do otherwise

That's true but he'll still drop like a stone on this one. I would be very surprised if he's able to top 5 on this stage.

Before the Tour I expected Purito up here. But he hasn't shown anything yet, so I've no clue about his form. Maybe Valverde? Or Slagter. But maybe the first climb is too difficult for him or he has to work for Talansky.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Red Rick said:
I also think that the fight for positions will be ridiculous

I think it'll be okay. The first climb is long enough that you don't have to start with the first 10, and those first two climbs should be enough to make the group small enough for the final climb.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Little Richie seems anxious to put his mark on this Tour,i go with him for stage win,but i don't get what this stage got to do with Sagan:confused:

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Rodriguez should take this, if he's in shape. The favourites don't need to worry about letting him go either which will help his cause.

Valverde should be the first of the GC boys.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't seem so certain to me that Sagan will get dropped. If he's up to it he could get very far. If he's not he'll probably relax instantly after the intermediate sprint/ at the first slopes. I am hoping for a Frank win but it seems a bit too steep.

TRENDING THREADS