• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Volta a Catalunya, Stage 7: Barcelona (Montjuic) (121 Km)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
map-07.jpg

Volta-Ciclista-a-Catalunya-Stage-7-1392216489.png

ALT DE CASTELLBISBAL (P.M. 3ª Cat.). 4.4km, avg. 3.5%, max 5%
ALT DE CORBERA (P.M. 3ª Cat.). 3.9km, avg. 4.7%, max 8%
8 x ALT DE MONTJUÏC (P.M. 3ª Cat.). 2km, avg. 5.7%, max 8%

General Classification after Stage 6
1 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) 27:03:13
2 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TINKOFF-SAXO) + 4
3 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 7
4 BARDET, Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 10
5 QUINTANA ROJAS, Nairo Alexander (MOVISTAR)
6 FROOME, Christopher (SKY) + 17
7 TALANSKY, Andrew (GARMIN SHARP) + 18
8 POZZOVIVO, Domenico (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 26
9 BARGUIL, Warren (GIANT-SHIMANO) + 42
10 KISERLOVSKI, Robert (TREK FACTORY RACING) + 48

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
De Gendt won this stage last year from a ways out. Would love to see that happen again, and he's been off the front a lot in the 2014 edition.

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
So let's say for arguments sake Contador beats Purito in a 2-man sprint for the win today. Purito would get same time but would lose his 4 second lead with the bonus seconds. Who would win the race as they would be level?
Contador.

http://inrng.com/2014/03/volta-a-catalunya-stage-7-preview/

If the stage is raced hard and there are only a dozen of riders left on the last climb, Rodriguez should attack. For him, the best defence would be an attack. This is tailor-made for him.

I cycled up Montjuic last year! (not a road bike/ i think the race differs from where we went up to,the lookout)- so I hope it's an exciting race. I think Contador, Bardet, Froome and Quintana could all attack- but JROD should be able to go well here.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
greenedge said:
I cycled up Montjuic last year! (not a road bike/ i think the race differs from where we went up to,the lookout)- so I hope it's an exciting race. I think Contador, Bardet, Froome and Quintana could all attack- but JROD should be able to go well here.

This is the easiest side of the Montjuich. Last year, i wondered if they already tackled him, and indeed, they already passed it. That shows it isn't hard at all (not comparing the side they did in the Vuelta 2012).

Hugo Koblet said:
Contador will go ballistic on the descents. I think Rodriguez will be able to follow him, though. These two to finish together with a small gap to the next.

I think so too. Contador will try everything but Rodriguez will be able to follow.

Then Contador uses his new sprint skills and beats Rodriguez to win the stage and the overall :D :p