• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 5 Praia a Mare – Benevento 233km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Stage 5

• Moreno Hofland

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other (Vino)

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Elia Viviani

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Giacomo Nizzolo

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Sacha Modolo

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Breakaway Rider

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Caleb Ewan

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Marcel Kittel

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Andre Greipel

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
The cobble section is 260 m long, plus another 700 m of a false cobble till the end...It is 2 times, I think it will play a role...especially becouse it is after a corner and so closeto the line. Tomorrow it is a complicated stage for climbers, worse than a totally flat stage without wind. The good thing for them it is that the route is well protected of the wind and has some real climbs, and It wont be a windy day, just some wind at the end...

How do people see Ulissi grabbing another one? He won't be allowed in the break, there's no ramp to launch an attack towards the end, and having watched the 2009 finish (it's the same, isn't it?), there are plenty of guys who will beat him in a sprint who no amount of hard racing can get rid of.

This will be either a breakaway win or a bunch sprint with most sprinters, very possibly including Kittel if he hasn't been dropped on one of the earlier climbs. Don't think he'll have big problems with the last km, and even if he does, then guys like Modolo certainly won't.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Hard one to predict... I don't think the break will take it, Giant probably to control it and some sprinter teams to take up the chase. Maybe they can beat Kittel on those 3% ramps, who knows.

Would be funny to see a stage like the one in TdF 2013 when Cannondale went hard. Would probably be the best scenario.
On one hand Dumoulin really fought for the Jersey today, but on the other hand he said a few days ago that he doesnt want to keep it, so maybe he will let the break go and Etixx also doesnt want to chase on the hilly terrain because of Kittel. In that case the break might even have a chance. That would be a very cool scenario.

There is an obvious difference between what Dumoulin does, and what Dumoulin talks. So I think he's going to keep the jersey for as long as he can

Dumoulin is like the most straight up interviewee in the peloton.

I think he is referring to Dumoulin stating time and time again that he isn't here for the GC, while if everything goes according to plan, he will be up +1,30 after Chianti. Then what? One thing is for sure, he isn't here just to win the TT's or to prepare, he is here to try himself out again against the big boys, he just don't wanna say that yet in order not to put too much pressure on himself. I think its pretty glaring

That's what you think. I think he seriously doesn't give himself much chance in the last week.
He will try when he's in pink, but it's unlikely he will succeed and he is well aware of that. The extra kgs and no altitude training is an obvious indication he didn't focus on the GC for this Giro.

Re:

Jungle Cycle said:
I believe the finish is the same as 2009 stage 18, as someone mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pPjeT-SPBc
It was the 3rd week instead of the 1st.. It doesn't look that "easy" and Scarponi took it...
Yes, looks the same final circuit on the profile.

T18_Benevento_alt_FIN.jpg

I think you guys are hugely underestimating this stage.
Clearly if they soft pedal it could end in a sprint, though I’d expect plenty of splits in the peloton.

It’s a long stage, hilly, the weather doesn’t look that nice and the finish isn’t easy at all.
I would be surprised if it ends with a full peloton sprint, but I’ve been wrong other times.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Hard one to predict... I don't think the break will take it, Giant probably to control it and some sprinter teams to take up the chase. Maybe they can beat Kittel on those 3% ramps, who knows.

Would be funny to see a stage like the one in TdF 2013 when Cannondale went hard. Would probably be the best scenario.
On one hand Dumoulin really fought for the Jersey today, but on the other hand he said a few days ago that he doesnt want to keep it, so maybe he will let the break go and Etixx also doesnt want to chase on the hilly terrain because of Kittel. In that case the break might even have a chance. That would be a very cool scenario.

There is an obvious difference between what Dumoulin does, and what Dumoulin talks. So I think he's going to keep the jersey for as long as he can

Dumoulin is like the most straight up interviewee in the peloton.

I think he is referring to Dumoulin stating time and time again that he isn't here for the GC, while if everything goes according to plan, he will be up +1,30 after Chianti. Then what? One thing is for sure, he isn't here just to win the TT's or to prepare, he is here to try himself out again against the big boys, he just don't wanna say that yet in order not to put too much pressure on himself. I think its pretty glaring

I'm sure GC is in the back of his mind, but I'm not too optimistic about his climbing form after his recent performances. That said, a top 5 finish should be a realistic aim

Re:

Climbing said:
I think you guys are hugely underestimating this stage.
Clearly if they soft pedal it could end in a sprint, though I’d expect plenty of splits in the peloton.

It’s a long stage, hilly, the weather doesn’t look that nice and the finish isn’t easy at all.
I would be surprised if it ends with a full peloton sprint, but I’ve been wrong other times.
Most of those hills are false flats though. I don't think there will be splits unless a strong team goes berserk. The final can be tricky and a late attack could stick.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Demare ftw. He had a good finish in Paris-Nice on a false flat finish.

Ewan would be good in such a finish if he can make it after 233km fresh which he is yet to prove he can do, though he is welcome to prove that today of course.

Viviani and Nizzolo will probably also be up there. Kittel after a bunch of height meters, 233km, and on a false flat slope I do not have so much confidence in. Maybe if the race is raced really softly.

Pozzato to save his Giro with a top 20.

The Giro live ticker did not give the full result of the intermediate sprint again, only the top 3.

Cycling News live ticker gave no result at all but managed to confuse the intermediate sprints competition with the completely different points competition while telling us "he" won. Brilliant.

TRENDING THREADS