• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, August 1 to 7

mED7IpR.png

The Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah - also known as USA's best stage race alongside the Tour of the Gila - is here!

Similarly to last year, the race is seven stages long and has one MTF less than two years ago, as Powder Mountain no longer seems to be part of the menu for the future. However, to everyone's delight, the race's back to the southernmost parts of the Colorado Plateau, which means a more demanding parcours for the riders and some of the state's trademark landscapes for us to see.

Like we've seen in years before and in other American stage races, it kicks off with a semi-difficult stage with a KOM in the middle, albeit because of terrain, location and road constraints, as there are no better alternatives. I reckon the heat and dryness will do more damage than the climb itself. Hofland won't be here to repeat the feat, but it's the sprinters' for the taking. Could have been a descent finish but we have a circuit instead. Stage 2 has a more or less bumpy second half which may allow a late break to succed a la Michael Schär - before that we have a climb up Boulder Mt. Stage 3 to Payson brings the first GC defining stage with a steep climb up Mount Nebo and a power descent to the finish line. Should make the first selection of 20 riders or so. On the 4th day of racing we have a sprinting stage. Stage 5 is an improvement on last year's finish on Bountiful which should open some meaningful gaps and, most importantly, allow them being held. Then comes the finish atop Snowbird preceded by the Guardsman’s Pass (yikes!) and, the next day, the classic ending in Park City which saw Cadel produce this beauty two years ago. Before, though, the Empire Pass.

TEAMS BMC, cannondale, IAM, TREK, Fortuneo, Nippo, Novo Nordisk, One Pro Cycling, UHC, AXEON, HOLOWESKO, JAMIS, Jelly Belly, Lupus, Rally, Silber.

STARTLIST Not yet available.

COVERAGE Tour Tracker and FOX SPORTS 2.

click on each stage entry for a more detailed preview

Stage 1 - Zion Canyon Village › Cedar City, 135km
oBeS4Yn.png

Stage 2 - Escalante › Torrey, 159.3km
E7HAwtX.png

Stage 3 - Richfield › Payson, 191.5km
6x6mQLN.png

Stage 4 - Lehi › Kearns, 154.4km
6mfM0x6.png

Stage 5 - Antelope Island › Bountiful, 183.4km
tUxcjTE.png

Stage 6 - Snowbasin › Snowbird, 185km
WJnNerX.png

Stage 7 - Park City › Park City, 125.5km
ihySAeP.png

https://www.tourofutah.com/

One of my favourite races. Maybe that's because my favourite team has won it 3 times in row. :cool:

From what I've read, Dombrowski and Bettiol should both be here. I'm especially interested to see if Tour de Pologne was a breakthrough for the latter. There are some chances for reduced sprints on this courses, which should suit him.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
A great bikerace, it has been by far the best of the bigger American stage races for years, unlike the other races they actually use the terrain that they have pretty well.
Who will be the main guy for BMC, will it be Hermans or will TJVG ride? He's skipping the Olympics, so riding one of the big American stage races would make sense.

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Preliminary rosters have been confirmed for the 16 teams competing at #TOU16! See them here: http://bit.ly/2a9xjNs

Is that teams of 6 riders plus 2 possible replacements or teams of 8 riders with Cannondale send less riders? Would like to see Adrien Costa ride in Utah with the pros.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
A great bikerace, it has been by far the best of the bigger American stage races for years, unlike the other races they actually use the terrain that they have pretty well.
Who will be the main guy for BMC, will it be Hermans or will TJVG ride? He's skipping the Olympics, so riding one of the big American stage races would make sense.

The USA Pro Cycling Challenge is not being held this year.

janraaskalt3 said:
Preliminary rosters have been confirmed for the 16 teams competing at #TOU16! See them here: http://bit.ly/2a9xjNs

Is that teams of 6 riders plus 2 possible replacements or teams of 8 riders with Cannondale send less riders? Would like to see Adrien Costa ride in Utah with the pros.

Too bad the race collides with the Olympics. Would've liked to see Skujiņš here. Hard not to cheer for the AXEON boys, hope they win a stage or two. Counting on Rob Britton to animate the mountains and Travis McCabe to win a stage.

Should be an entertaining race again, always like watching live cycling later at night so the U.S and Canadian races always go down well with me, the route looks good too.

That Guardmans pass crash still seems crazy to watch, still cant believe those Moto's just stop on the apex of the corner which leads to 2 more riders hitting the deck.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Should be an entertaining race again, always like watching live cycling later at night so the U.S and Canadian races always go down well with me, the route looks good too.

That Guardamans pass crash still seems crazy to watch, still cant believe those Moto's just stop on the apex of the corner which leads to 2 more riders hitting the deck.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons Québec and Montréal are my favourite races.

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Pricey_sky said:

That Guardamans pass crash still seems crazy to watch, still cant believe those Moto's just stop on the apex of the corner which leads to 2 more riders hitting the deck.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons Québec and Montréal are my favourite races.

Added to that the Tour tracker app's for the U.S races are very good. HD stream and never have any problems with buffering ect.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:

Yeah, it's wierd that I get to watch more of the American races live than I do the TDF. Luckily they tend to be decent races.

TRENDING THREADS